Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive

Rate this topic

6 minutes ago, Broithe said:

Of course, in Laois, a lot of the cars had Craggy Island plates.

which is ironic as its the most land-locked county in Ireland because (fun fact) Laois is the only county that has two counties between it and the sea in every direction!

Edited by Flying Snail
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Flying Snail said:

which is ironic as its the most land-locked county in Ireland because (fun fact) Laois is the only county that has two counties between it and the sea in every direction!

And yet the two largest municipalities are ports...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Flying Snail said:

Apart from if you head south, there is only Kilkenny between Laois and the sea!

There are no counties as far as I can see where in some direction, there is only one county between it and the sea

hmmm  ... not sure I agree that Kilkenny is a coastal county. Despite ships being able to sail up the Suir to Belview, I think the presence of Wexford and Waterford on either side of the mouth of the Barrow rules that out. 

Another fun fact on Laois: The Vikings sailed all the way up the Barrow to Vicarstown in Laois and built a longphort at Dunrally ... but that doesn't make Laois a coastal county either 😀

Edit: I'll concede Kilkenny has an estuarine or tidal coastline, but I still contend thats its not touching the sea https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Irish_counties_by_coastline

Anyhow, I think Ernie (and everyone else not from Laois) would probably rather we move on and let the thread get back on track 😀 😀

Edited by Flying Snail
  • Funny 1

8 hours ago, Broithe said:

Of course, in Laois, a lot of the cars had Craggy Island plates.

IMCDb.org: 1981 Ford Cortina GL MkV in "Father Ted, 1995-1998"

"Ted, I think he's a bit cold now that his towel's fallen off...."

3 hours ago, airfixfan said:

Great photo of Donegal Town Diamond 

What I liked about Donegal Town "Diamond" most is that it only has three sides.....which makes it a triangle.

• Like 4
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, Gabhal Luimnigh said:

what is the break in the left track on the bottom picture for?

Its a catch point to protect the line beyond from anything entering the line beyond the junction unless the point is set for the line the catch point is on. In this case the catch point is on the steeply graded line up to the coal sidings and if a wagon got away it would be derailed and (hopefully) not hit anything on the platform line.

The points and the ground signal on the right are all worked from that lever frame along the line in front of the building.

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

Its a catch point to protect the line beyond from anything entering the line beyond the junction unless the point is set for the line the catch point is on. In this case the catch point is on the steeply graded line up to the coal sidings and if a wagon got away it would be derailed and (hopefully) not hit anything on the platform line.

The points and the ground signal on the right are all worked from that lever frame along the line in front of the building.

Now that makes sense to me, thanks 👍

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

GNRI Nr Dunleer , 39 on the Ardee Goods 20 May 1949.

Dun Laoghaire , 260, 16 May 1959.

Galway 554 5 July 1955.

CIE 1959-05-16 Dun Laoghaire 260 JGD 

Finally, a decent photo of one of the ten suburban compos, with the 3+3 second class seating, that became brake standards later. Many thanks.

• Like 5

B&CDR No 12 10 June 1949, I think this is possibly York Road as there is an NCC loco on the right and Desmond Coakham 's tome says No 12 spent some time there in 1949 JG Dewing photographer.

Cork Albert Quay, F6, 36 June 1957

County Donegal Railways, 'Columbkille' Strabane June 1957.

B&CDR 1949-06-10 Belfast York Rd 12 JGD CB&SC 1957-06 Cork Albert Quay 36 LN165 CDRJC 1957-06 Strabane 'Columbkille' LN195

• Like 12

On 26/7/2023 at 1:37 PM, Irishswissernie said:

2 JG Dewing views at Stranorlar May 1959 Railcars 14 & 10

CDRJC 1959-05-xx Sranorlar Railcar 14 JGDxxxxxx CDRJC 1959-05-12 Stranorlar Railcar 10 JGD

Interesting to see the Glenties line starter mounted on the bridge - the cable wheel and vertical cable run still visible on the footbridge wall. The arm does have a bit of a droop, suggesting that tension has been lost....

I think the starter signal is still in existence today, exhibited inside the Talyllyn Railway museum at Tywyn.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 1

Ex SLNCR 'Lough Erne' as 27 in UTA days at Belfast Docks. I'm wondering if the crew had nicked one of the Tarpaulins from the containers to cover a leaky roof😉 Later 1950's

An unidentified B2 4-6-0 on a mail & passenger train probably on the Dublin - Cork Main line ca 1955. The shelter on the platform may give a clue to the location.

Cork, J15 195 on probably a Youghal excursion and also probably from July 1955.

UTA 1964-CA Belfast Docks area ex SLNC 'Lough Erne' x048

CIE 1955-07-ca Unid B2 400 where LGM002 CIE 1955-07-CA Cork J15 195 LGM010

• Like 10

12 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

Ex SLNCR 'Lough Erne' as 27 in UTA days at Belfast Docks. I'm wondering if the crew had nicked one of the Tarpaulins from the containers to cover a leaky roof😉 Later 1950's

An unidentified B2 4-6-0 on a mail & passenger train probably on the Dublin - Cork Main line ca 1955. The shelter on the platform may give a clue to the location.

Cork, J15 195 on probably a Youghal excursion and also probably from July 1955.

UTA 1964-CA Belfast Docks area ex SLNC 'Lough Erne' x048

CIE 1955-07-ca Unid B2 400 where LGM002  

Likely 401. You can just about make out the top of the 1 on the bufferbeam, and she was kept around with 402 for a good while.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Now, that middle picture sparked my interest, sure enough, it’s still got “GNR” on it. An old six wheel brake van. Ernie, could I post a copy on my GN coaches thread on here, please? It’s the clearest picture I’ve seen of one of these.

Yes go ahead. Is the first part of its number an E or an 8?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Irishswissernie said:

20 Ton Brakevan 23596 ca 1964 possibly earlier.

Ex GNRI Vacum Cleaning van E or 8 439 , looks like a 6 wheel coach conversion job. again 1964 or earlier.

Wexford 2601.

CIE 1964 ca 20T Brake Van 23596 x051  

First decent photo of the CIE Bulk Grain wagons converted from H vans during the late 50ss early 60s, the Brake Van 23596 appears to have had some damage repairs to the veranda planking at one end only  

• Like 2

On 30/7/2023 at 9:15 AM, Mayner said:

First decent photo of the CIE Bulk Grain wagons converted from H vans during the late 50ss early 60s, the Brake Van 23596 appears to have had some damage repairs to the veranda planking at one end only  

I wonder how were these  Grain wagons Discharged was there a hopper underneath ?