Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive

Rate this topic

On 10/5/2023 at 7:42 AM, Irishswissernie said:

Portadown, unid 4-4-0 Portadown 1950's

Feb23Med024 Portadown

With those very substantial frames in front, that looks very "S" class to me, but which one? The camera has picked up the suggestion of a number under the cabside grime. Zooming in, I thought it might even be 171, but did she ever work through Portadown?

5 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

Yes I think its an S Class but no nameplate.. I would imagine that all the S/S2 would have worked through Portadown. 

The grime is so bad that there isn't even a tell-tale patch where the nameplate might have been. 

Pretty much all of them. They were kept in barely runnable condition just long enough to keep the Derry Road open. This is how 171 looked in 1966, at York Road I think just after the RPSI got custody. Note how the ‘171’ has just been applied. 

IMG_8146.webp

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 5
  • WOW! 1

13 hours ago, Horsetan said:

With those very substantial frames in front, that looks very "S" class to me, but which one? The camera has picked up the suggestion of a number under the cabside grime. Zooming in, I thought it might even be 171, but did she ever work through Portadown?

Yes, she certainly did..........

1 hour ago, Horsetan said:

Which one had lost its plates by then?

GNR locos never had plates - always gold-leaf transfers of numbers (like the lettering and crests).

22 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

Yes I think its an S Class but no nameplate.. I would imagine that all the S/S2 would have worked through Portadown. 

The 3 S Class bought from CIE were all put to use on the Derry Road until it closed in February 1965.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

Analysis of other photos suggests that the engine is either 170 or 171. No 174 was outshopped by CIE in full GN livery and appears to have kept her ‘GN’ letters on the tender until the end. 

If the David Quayle photo of 171 is anything to go by, I'd have thought the patch left by the nameplate would have remained visible even under grime. That might suggest Ernie's b&w photo might be 170 rather than 171....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Galteemore said:

Pretty much all of them. They were kept in barely runnable condition just long enough to keep the Derry Road open. This is how 171 looked in 1966, at York Road I think just after the RPSI got custody. Note how the ‘171’ has just been applied. 

IMG_8146.webp

As Galteemore says, they weren't in great order. In the summer of 1964, I took my first "Runabout" Ticket - then 70/- (£3.50) for a week on all trains and buses in NI. The bus could be useful if on the S Class-hauled 3pm to Derry you chickened out at Pomeroy (of making the Zero Minute connection at Omagh onto the 5.08pm Relief - also steam) and then used the bus to get back to Dungannon to catch The Relief there!

Anyway, back to the S Class. Until No.171's overhaul in RPSI ownership, I didn't get more than a "Sixty" (mph) out of one. No.171's inaugural trip to Dublin saw her do 72 mph down the Bank into Dundalk. I think that's my fastest with her! She has been timed a lot faster, but I wasn't here!

David, thanks for mentioning the sojourn of the CIE S Class on the Derry Road - I can't find the logs on my computer - a panic-striken search is now beginning!

Edited by leslie10646
  • Like 5

On 2/5/2023 at 7:25 AM, Irishswissernie said:

Gortatlea station, 5 June 1961.

Dublin, Broadstone D14,89 ca 1960.

4-4-2T possibly at Inchicore but on a turntable road so probably not! Any ideas? 1960's

CIE 1961-06-05  Gortatlea ds t041 CIE 1960's  Dublin Broadstone  M024 CIE Probably Inchicore 1960's  M060

Almost certainly 457 at Limerick. Colin Boocock has very comparable photo from 1957

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The NCC dumped locos are at Adelaide, as Lance King took them from a different angle (in colour!). The shot is part of my NCC talk. Where else would you get such a gathering of older NCC locos? Was the photographer on the Coaling stage to get the angle?

Lance's shot was taken on 17 May 1959, if that helps date this?

• Like 5

A few days ago an envelope arrived with more slides taken by the late JG Dewing for sorting out. Mr Dewing started taking negatives and slides of Irish railways before WWII until the end of the 20th Century and for a number of years duplicates of some of his slides were sold by Colourail. He was given a duplicate to hold while his originals were being used by them and the originals were returned on his death. Unfortunately as 'Anno Domini' and later dementia took its toll he began to re-mount the card originals in second hand plastic mounts and even cut or glued card over part of the originals to re-compose the image so that the only way you can now determine whether a slide is a duplicate or an original is to cut open the mount and examine the film.

Of the 60 slides received this week 35 are originals. 7 are scenic images but interesting in their own way because they record in colour the Ireland of  nearly 70 years ago.

Not all of his slides were available as duplicates or appeared in books etc and there are some 8 views taken on the 'Bandon' during the running of the IRRS Special on 17 March 1961 which I havn't seen before. He didn't travel on the train and he had a fascination of 'Running In' boards but this one is attractive.

CBSC  1961-03-17 Clonakilty Jc. JGD 610329

ON 12 May 1959 he was at Derry, Waterside and took the view below.

UTA 1959-05-12 Derry Waterside. JGD590816

Lastly a scenic view of a cottage in Donegal 10 May 1959. I need to model this!

Donegal1959-05-10DogandcottageJDG(2).thumb.jpg.f28f882ea5c73d5c09f3730977da3082.jpg

• Like 14
  • WOW! 3

1 hour ago, Irishswissernie said:

A few days ago an envelope arrived with more slides taken by the late JG Dewing for sorting out. Mr Dewing started taking negatives and slides of Irish railways before WWII until the end of the 20th Century and for a number of years duplicates of some of his slides were sold by Colourail. He was given a duplicate to hold while his originals were being used by them and the originals were returned on his death. Unfortunately as 'Anno Domini' and later dementia took its toll he began to re-mount the card originals in second hand plastic mounts and even cut or glued card over part of the originals to re-compose the image so that the only way you can now determine whether a slide is a duplicate or an original is to cut open the mount and examine the film.

Of the 60 slides received this week 35 are originals. 7 are scenic images but interesting in their own way because they record in colour the Ireland of  nearly 70 years ago.

Not all of his slides were available as duplicates or appeared in books etc and there are some 8 views taken on the 'Bandon' during the running of the IRRS Special on 17 March 1961 which I havn't seen before. He didn't travel on the train and he had a fascination of 'Running In' boards but this one is attractive.

Donegal1959-05-10DogandcottageJDG(2).thumb.jpg.f28f882ea5c73d5c09f3730977da3082.jpg

That's a lovely collection, thanks again for your efforts, it's appreciated.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, airfixfan said:

Any CDR photos in that latest batch?

9 Jim , you might like this one! Convoy Goods Yard 12 May 1959. If that  container is for the farmer on the tractor he was certainly into his biscuits!

CDRJC 1959-05-12 Convoy goods yard. JGD590808

JGD also managed to get a photo of the IRRS special on the Chetwynd viaduct 17 March 1961.

CBSC 1961-03-17 Chetwynd viaduct IRRS SPL JGD610319

• Like 14
  • WOW! 1

On 17/5/2023 at 8:00 AM, Irishswissernie said:

John Dewing. The lower shot could show the Great Man, who was given to cycling holidays in Ireland. More likely, it is his companion on that particular trip. He cycled to IRRS London meetings right into his eighties and was always great Craic in the pub afterwards.

Pity about the re-mounting / copying - with the Casserley stuff we bought it was more a matter of being over used and loaned to folk who didn't take care of his negatives when in their possession.

Edited by leslie10646
  • Like 3

The shot on the spoil train would have been in the early days of the contract while a brake van was still included. So some time in 1967 - they were still included in May 1967.

I know someone who will tell you the name of the fireman, if you wanted to know!

I have a scan of John's notes too - not as easy to follow as Lance's!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1