Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive

Rate this topic

12 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

4-4-2T possibly at Inchicore but on a turntable road so probably not! Any ideas? 1960's

CIE Probably Inchicore 1960's  M060

Looks like a DSER / GSR 455 Class loco, and given the cab window shape and round top boiler, is most likely 457.  Cannot comment on the location however.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, KMCE said:

Looks like a DSER / GSR 455 Class loco, and given the cab window shape and round top boiler, is most likely 457.  Cannot comment on the location however.

Most likely 455. According to a "Decade of Steam" 456 was scrapped early in 1955 (boiler/firebox problems) 457 (large yellow numerals on her side tanks) was transferred to Limerick shortly after the arrival of the diesel electrics and ended up as Goods yard Pilot, 455 remained on the DSER "very run down but still defiantly pounding up Killiney Bank with her six bogies of "Commuters" "

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

Classic stuff Ernie. Always loved those outside- framed bogies which gave such a distinctive appearance. The boiler is too big and the drivers are too small to make it a truly elegant loco but there’s something so endearing about it! 

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

12 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

Classic stuff Ernie. Always loved those outside- framed bogies which gave such a distinctive appearance. The boiler is too big and the drivers are too small to make it a truly elegant loco but there’s something so endearing about it! 

It was probably trying to be a GWR Bulldog.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, Broithe said:

Complete with an advert for "Crossley's gas & oil engines", facing the bottom of the stairs at this end of the bridge.

Woodenbridge Junction was one of the most attractive stations on the system.

The add was for Crossley stationary engines often used in farms and workshops which had an excellent reputation.

The Crosley engines used in the A and C Class appears to have been an attempt to develop a lightweight 2 stroke engine to give AEI and edge over English Electric and Brush in a similar manner to the use of the lightweight 2 stroke 567 engine gave General Motors an edge over American loco builders that used heavier 4 stroke engines in their locos such as Alco and Baldwin.

Western Australia appeared to have overcome the worst of the reliability problems with its Metrovick locos which used the same engine as the CIE A Class. The Australian Metrovicks lasted in service on Perth Suburban trains with their original engines until the lines were electrified during the mid-80s

• Like 5
  • Informative 2

Ernie, your recent colour shots were all taken by someone travelling in an early LCGB group when Lance King was leading - they give a different slant on the trip. Lance didn't miss much, but your guy  did pick different angles which show a different scene.

Glad you've managed to add them to your collection.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

Ernie, your recent colour shots were all taken by someone travelling in an early LCGB group when Lance King was leading - they give a different slant on the trip. Lance didn't miss much, but your guy  did pick different angles which show a different scene.

Glad you've managed to add them to your collection.

They are from a number of photographers Leslie, I think they probably all worked for BR and made good use of the free or preferential Travel fares that BR Staff could use across Western Europe in the 1950's and 60's. Time marches on and the slides or negatives from those that have now passed on are now surfacing on the market etc.

• Like 5

That's a clever shot of the little Guinness tank, within the brewery area, but a piece of the Kingsbridge facade visible - good composition!

No.85 was almost certainly taken on my 13th birthday 10 June 1957 - again an identical shot in the Lance King collection!

I've just received from one of "my team" a massive batch of scans of the late David Soggee's slides. A bit of a distraction from digitising points on the layout upstairs.

Why do Peco put such short wires on their point motors - another 10cms and my job would be a lot easier!

Edited by leslie10646
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, leslie10646 said:

No.85 was almost certainly taken on my 13th birthday 10 June 1959 - again an identical shot in the lance King collection!I've just received from one of "my team" a massive batch of scans of the late David Soggee's slides

85 is a Nick Nicholson slide of June 1957.  (have you been doctoring your age Leslie!) The North Wall/Newcomen Junction slide I put on yesterday is a from a Dave Soggee original. I have been told that Dave Soggee's slides went to a M Josee now deceased and his family have been disposing of his collection.

• Like 5