Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive

Rate this topic

The IRRS Special on the Bandon after arrival at Baltimore 17 March 1961 JG Dewing.

CBSC 1961-03-17 Balitmore  464 JGD610403

This  undated view below is interesting despite its poor quality/scratches.;  671 at I think Dublin Amiens Street. Its the coach D22 which is probably an ex D&SER Passenger van but in again possibly the short lived GSR Brown and Cream Livery or maybe still D&SER livery.

The loco was built in 1933. Over to the Experts!

Feb23Med016 671 possibly pre WWII

• Like 6

On 20/5/2023 at 7:40 AM, Irishswissernie said:

This  undated view below is interesting despite its poor quality/scratches.;  671 at I think Dublin Amiens Street. Its the coach D22 which is probably an ex D&SER Passenger van but in again possibly the short lived GSR Brown and Cream Livery or maybe still D&SER livery.

The loco was built in 1933. Over to the Experts!

Feb23Med016 671 possibly pre WWII

Difficult to put a date on this one, however the bunker/cab has not been modified, so that puts it pre c. 1936.  670 & 674 were modified in 1934 following crash damage with the others being modified later.

The coach is a conundrum - from my research thus far I have not seen a D&SER coach with that type of ducket.  The only type of ducket I have seen (if the brake coach had duckets - not always) looked similar to this:

DSERBrakeDucket.jpg.a5a457ae0250661bdef6dc67c0f1d006.jpg

The D suffix does suggest it is ex D&SER stock. Others may be able to shed more light?

Ken

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

On 22/5/2023 at 9:00 AM, KMCE said:

Difficult to put a date on this one, however the bunker/cab has not been modified, so that puts it pre c. 1936.  670 & 674 were modified in 1934 following crash damage with the others being modified later.

The semaphore signalling on the ex-DSE side of Amiens Street was replaced in 1934 (commissioned 28/10/34), so the loco is probably less than a year old, given there is no sign of any replacement colour lights, which would have been installed before October.

Edited by BSGSV
Additional date
  • Informative 1

On 18/5/2023 at 8:33 AM, Irishswissernie said:

9 Jim , you might like this one! Convoy Goods Yard 12 May 1959. If that  container is for the farmer on the tractor he was certainly into his biscuits!

CDRJC 1959-05-12 Convoy goods yard. JGD590808

JGD also managed to get a photo of the IRRS special on the Chetwynd viaduct 17 March 1961.

CBSC 1961-03-17 Chetwynd viaduct IRRS SPL JGD610319

Passenger station to the left and goods shed to the right at Convoy 

• Agree 1

A couple of recently acquired glass negatives taken CA 1935, I do not know who the photographer was but he was probably from the UK mainland as there were a lot of English/Scottish glass negatives for sale with these 2. The only clue  on the negative sleeves is the letters WD before the ref numbers.

The first image is of ex D&SER F2 432 at Grand Canal Street. This was rebuilt with a Belpaire Type T boiler in 1939 .

The second view is of GNRI BT 119 probably at Dundalk after withdrawal in 1935.

This loco was the first engine built at the GNRI Works, completed in June 1887 as a 4-4-0T and initially numbered 100 but then immediately re-numbered as No 1 (Norman Johnston locos of the GNRI).

The 13 locos in the class were found to be too small for suburban traffic and the other 12 were withdrawn 1920-1921  however  No 1 was rebuilt as a 0-6-0T and re-numbered 119. It then worked as the Londonderry shunter until withdrawal in 1935 . I think the view is after withdrawal and at Dundalk Works as its sandwiched between 2 tenders, the left hand one being the wrong way round.

GSR 1935-xx-CA Dublin ex DSER class F2 45. date before 1939 when rebuilt with Belpaire Type T boiler. GNRI 1935-xx-CA possibly at Dundalk after withdrawal. BT 119 rebuilt as 0-6-0t

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 15

Nice pictures to have got, Ernie. Grand Canal Street was not too often photographed - is that the famous Boland's Mill (where Dev was in command at Easter 1916) in the background?

The BT may not be dumped - the left hand tender looks is though it's just been through the Paint Shop! Maybe she was there for repair? An interesting survivor - there is a photo of one at Lisburn on the Motor Train in Dr Patterson's history of the GNR.

On 22/5/2023 at 9:00 AM, KMCE said:

The coach is a conundrum - from my research thus far I have not seen a D&SER coach with that type of ducket.  The only type of ducket I have seen (if the brake coach had duckets - not always) looked similar to this:

DSERBrakeDucket.jpg.a5a457ae0250661bdef6dc67c0f1d006.jpg

The D suffix does suggest it is ex D&SER stock. Others may be able to shed more light?

Ken

My thoughts exactly.

As 22D, it is most definitely ex-DSER, and in the short-lived chocolate and cream livery applied to main line stock - therefore it's a main line coach. Likewise, the full ducket confuses me - I have been unaware of any DSER vehicle built like this. Therefore, it is almost certainly a GSR rebuild.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Irishswissernie said:

Another JG Dewing slide of the 17 March 1961 IRRS Special near Bandon.

Clonmel with another Special recorded as 17 March 1967 on the slide.

CIE 1967-03-17 Clonmel

Train consist includes what looks like an ex-GSWR 12w "Rosslare Route" Dining Car 353 of 1906 and recently introduced Craven stock. 353 appears to have been withdrawn in 1968.

Possibly an IRRS specials in connection with the closure of the Mallow-Waterford line and the diversion of the Boat Trains to run via-Limerick Junction and the introduction of mechanical staff exchange (snatchers) on the Waterford West-Limerick Junction section of the W&L line. 

• Like 4

Lovely to see that John Dewing slide of the famous St Pat's Day tour to Baltimore - which arrived back three hours late due to issues with late-running (diesel) service trains! John must have been on his bike! Lance King took loads of slides of that tour, but all around the stations, as he was travelling!

One of Lance's slides shows 464 as station pilot at Glanmire Road  next morning!

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, leslie10646 said:

Lovely to see that John Dewing slide of the famous St Pat's Day tour to Baltimore - which arrived back three hours late due to issues with late-running (diesel) service trains! John must have been on his bike! Lance King took loads of slides of that tour, but all around the stations, as he was travelling!

One of Lance's slides shows 464 as station pilot at Glanmire Road  next morning!

As much as I’d love to blame deisals for that tours running….464 was not behaving towards the end of the tour! 

I recently got one of the few remaining tickets from that tour that probably still remain. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Mayner said:

Train consist includes what looks like an ex-GSWR 12w "Rosslare Route" Dining Car 353 of 1906 and recently introduced Craven stock. 353 appears to have been withdrawn in 1968.

Possibly an IRRS specials in connection with the closure of the Mallow-Waterford line and the diversion of the Boat Trains to run via-Limerick Junction and the introduction of mechanical staff exchange (snatchers) on the Waterford West-Limerick Junction section of the W&L line. 

Great photo, particularly nice for me in showing the EMD Worksplate was the blue/red version, rather than the grey I had thought was in use by the time they appeared.

As for the train, from Irish Railfans' News:

image.png.e09e02eceac09280d0fcc8d70df5b660.png

• Like 1
  • Informative 3

Portadown shed T2 143 10 July 1955.

Banteer 5 June 1961. Railcar for Mallow waits to cross the IRRS Special (No mistaking that horrible but handy for identifying headboard!).

I am also uploading to Flickr at the moment (at the rate of 2 or 3 a day) Isle of Man Railways in 1960, ex Highland & Great North of Scotland 1980's, North Eastern Railway infrastructure 1970's. Approx 5000 images so about 5 years work!

GNRI 1955-07-10 Portadown shed T2, 143 lm CIE 1961-06-05 Banteer

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 11

Thanks for the Portadown shot, Ernie. Two of my T Tanks have never been numbered, so now I know what one could be!

Your photographer found a very different angle for his shot of Banteer on the All-Ireland tour. Quite unlike several we have from David Soggee and Lance K.

County Donegal Railways, Strabane, 11 On the Stranorlar Goods 3 October 1958. Another JG Dewing original, on closer examination the train isn't departing; its split between the first 2 wagons so that the porter on the right can push his barrowload from the GNRI side through to the Donegal platform.

Courtmacsherry, 552 6 November 1960.

CDRJC 1958-10-03 Strabane '11' Erne. JGD580228 CBSC 1960-11-06 Courtmacsherry 552 jp t009

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, Irishswissernie said:

County Donegal Railways, Strabane, 11 On the Stranorlar Goods 3 October 1958. Another JG Dewing original, on closer examination the train isn't departing; its split between the first 2 wagons so that the porter on the right can push his barrowload from the GNRI side through to the Donegal platform....

CDRJC 1958-10-03 Strabane '11' Erne. JGD580228 

Note also the miniature semaphore used as a shunt signal. There was another one beyond the north end of the platforms, governing exit from the transhipment sheds. Strabane seems to have been the only place where mini semaphores were used at ground level.

The condition of the perimeter of the mixed gauge wagon turntable suggests the GNRI used it rather less than the CDRJC!

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

On 6/6/2023 at 7:11 PM, Horsetan said:

Note also the miniature semaphore used as a shunt signal. There was another one beyond the north end of the platforms, governing exit from the transhipment sheds. Strabane seems to have been the only place where mini semaphores were used at ground level.

The condition of the perimeter of the mixed gauge wagon turntable suggests the GNRI used it rather less than the CDRJC!

The mixed gauge wagon turntable was used for swapping the bodies of "Tranship Wagons" an early form of "Swap Body" between the broad and narrow gauge, the underframe of a narrow gauge Tranship Wagon" is on one of the turntable roads. The narrow and broad gauge tranship wagon underframes were fitted with rollers and drop down end posts to allow tranship wagon bodies to be transferred from the Broad to the Narrow Gauge and vice versa.  It looks like the Donegal mainly used containers (its own and GNR) for through traffic travelling "under bond" through Northern Ireland converting redundant coach underframes into bogie container wagons a good 20 years before CIE introduced bogie container wagons!

The CDR & GNR only appear to have had a small number of Tranship wagons, one of the main tranship traffics from the narrow to the broad gauge appears to have been road stone in open 'Tranship wagons". 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

What a fabulous portrait of 42. Got a soft spot for her ever since I built her some years ago. When not shunting the works, she ran the Kingsbridge-Inchicore works shuttle. Deceptively speedy locos capable of 60mph. 

Although originally introduced for use on the Valencia and Kenmare Branches, the GSWR 33 Class 2-4-2T appear to have been the mainly used on Cork-Cobh and Cork-Youghal passenger trains which would have required smart working. The 2-4-2T were basically a tank engine version of the "Kerry Bogies" same driving wheel diameter, boiler, cylinders and motion.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1