Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive

Rate this topic

On 12/6/2023 at 7:46 PM, Irishswissernie said:

North Wall 171 April 2000.

Wexford North 189 on cement 'bubbles' 12 May 1979.

Portadown shed ca1959

IR 1979-05-12 Wexford North 189 , cement 

Not convinced its Wexford the South Eastern not a usual routing for bulk cement trains.

Bedford TK with a tail lift is a must for late 70s-early 90s layout. Hint Hint!

Used for transporting 10' "Uniload" containers carrying sundries traffic (deliveries to shops, pubs deliveries, Castol Oil, motor parts, tyres, deliveries and collections from local businesses, smaller yards likely to have 1 TK with Tail Lift, larger depots a fleet. 

• Informative 1

33 minutes ago, Mayner said:

Not convinced its Wexford the South Eastern not a usual routing for bulk cement trains.

Bedford TK with a tail lift is a must for late 70s-early 90s layout. Hint Hint!

Used for transporting 10' "Uniload" containers carrying sundries traffic (deliveries to shops, pubs deliveries, Castol Oil, motor parts, tyres, deliveries and collections from local businesses, smaller yards likely to have 1 TK with Tail Lift, larger depots a fleet. 

Were the TK cabs really that much lower than other trucks? I know that they were low, but compared to the DAF 2800, Scania 110 and ERF LV, they look a bit too low, in model form.

Some comparison shots. Sorry to hijack the thread a bit.

IMG_20230618_1014530.jpg

IMG_20230618_1015444.jpg

IMG_20230618_1017080.jpg

TK's were low (Remember they used a derivative of a pre 2nd world war Chevrolet straight 6 Petrol engine, Also used in the ubiquitous Bedford O 'Type)

About the same height as a modern Transit.

KM's were a bit higher, Same cab but wider wheel arches.

Edited by commerlad
  • Informative 1

Some interesting arrivals recently. These 2 are from the Light Railway & Transport League's Tour in June 1953.

Tralee & Dingle, 8T  at Castlegregory Junction on 11 June.

Cavan & Leitrim, A view of after the famous collision on 8 June (thanks to the extensive photographic coverage by the LTRL members on the train) at Mahanagh Xing between 3L's train and a 

Ford Model Y Poplar. The car was carried for several yards but was righted after the 2 occupants had got out with just a few scratches and they apparently drove off and both train and car continued on their ways.

No doubt these days the place would be a crime scene and the line and road closed for several hours. They don't make cars or trains or that ladies hat (unconfirmed on the last one) like that anymore!

T &D 1953-06-11 Castlegregory Junction 8T LRTL Spl.x154

C&L 1953-06-08 Mahanagh Xing nr Drumshanbo 3L with stricken Ford Model Y Popular.

• Like 9
  • WOW! 2

4 JG Dewing today.

2 views of an IRRS Special to Youghal with 193 at Cork and Cobh Junction 17 March 1962.

SLNCR , 'Sligo' in the goods yard at Collooney on the Enniskillen goods. May 1947. I'm pleased this negative came to light as I already have JGD's view of this same train departing Collooney

Finally Signals at Derry, Waterside October 1970.

CIE 1962-03-17 Cork 193 IRRS Spl to Youghal CIE 1962-03-17 Cobh Junction 193 JGD620338 SLNCR 1947-05-xx Collooney 'Sligo' on Enniskillen goods. JGD 589a UTA 1970-10-xx Londonderry JGD700403

• Like 12

Obviously John Dewing was close beside Lance King who took similar shots. Like him, he took the shots from BEHIND the loco to avoid the huge headboard being in the shot.

Mr G More will be over the Moon to see "Sligo".

Nice shot at Derry - probably the the third attempt that the RPSI made to get to Derry with a tour called "Columcille" - a previous one saw the track washed way the night before and the night goods derailed - we ended up in Dundalk!

• Like 5

On 23/6/2023 at 8:11 AM, Irishswissernie said:

4 JG Dewing today.

2 views of an IRRS Special to Youghal with 193 at Cork and Cobh Junction 17 March 1962.

SLNCR , 'Sligo' in the goods yard at Collooney on the Enniskillen goods. May 1947. I'm pleased this negative came to light as I already have JGD's view of this same train departing Collooney

Finally Signals at Derry, Waterside October 1970.

CIE 1962-03-17 Cork 193 IRRS Spl to Youghal CIE 1962-03-17 Cobh Junction 193 JGD620338 

Interesting shots, and topical in view of the new 00 Works release and Hattons 6-wheelers.

193 was the solitary J15 to have a black smokebox and grey livery; usually they were all grey. This one was repainted thus as late as 1961 in Cork (or possiboly Limerick). Six months or so later it was withdrawn from use. This is probably the best colour phot in existence showing a clean grey livery.

The 6-wheel van is one of just six or seven such to survive the final mass extinction of all remaining six-wheel PASSENGER-carrying stock in early 1963. These surviving full vans continued in use for a few years more. While no record is known of one in actual use beyond 1968, as far as I am aware, two were technically still on the books until 1970; one of these at least being out of use in practice.

It is known that 3 of the survivors (including Downpatrick's No. 69) received black'n'tan - the others probably remained green as two of these were gone by 1965.

Hattons will be offering the GSWR full brake type in black'n'tan - obviously all the others will be in the two green liveries. I think the van shown above is 79 - another was on thge Ballinrobe branch until closure - but in recently-acquired black'n'tan.

2 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

Ah, so it DID pull passengers! There are faces at the windows of the first coach. A very rare engine for haulage!

Indeed - it was also used on passenger trains on the Youghal branch for a while in the early 1960s.

• Like 3
  • Informative 2

Interesting group, thanks, Ernie I see a line of horseboxes on the right of the Junction shot!

What a drag that the Dungarvan line was closed before the RPSI could run a train over it (apart from one end!) - it always looks delectable in the shots you put up.

I wonder what was under those tarpaulins on the corrugateds in the Kilkenny shot?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, leslie10646 said:

I wonder what was under those tarpaulins on the corrugateds in the Kilkenny shot?

The shape of the objects under the tarpaulins suggest that they are the same as the ones on the wagons on the left without tarpaulins. The wording is undecipherable but they could be fertiliser or  bagged peat perhaps .

Negative is by R M Casserley .

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

The shape of the objects under the tarpaulins suggest that they are the same as the ones on the wagons on the left without tarpaulins. The wording is undecipherable but they could be fertiliser or  bagged peat perhaps .

Negative is by R M Casserley .

Possibly BNM Moss Peat from Coolnamona or Kilberry for export through Waterford. Export peat from the two factories was an important traffic until BNM switched to road transport during the early 70s. The traffic was important enough for CIE to re-lay a section of the Portlaoise-Kilkenny line to serve the new Coolnamona factory after the main line was dismantled following closure in 1963.

• Like 4
  • Informative 1

Donegal Town Centre 18 May 1958. No trains in this one but there are 2 GNRI single deckers hiding in the back ground and it is a JG Dewing slide. Views like this with a specific date are invaluable in setting the period on a model railway.

No double yellow lines, Park your car where you like. Nowadays when you look on Google Street View its a glorified roundabout with a pedestrianised  centre , fancy little walls and seats, the trees have grown but to plagiarise  Pete Seeger: Where have all the people gone - Gone to Aldi (just round the corner) every one?

1958-05-18DonegalTown2GNRIbusinview..thumb.jpg.20d0095168a94173851eb02fda4036b8.jpg

I prefer Lidl!

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 10

8 minutes ago, leslie10646 said:

Sorry, mate, just as in Dublin  etc in the 1960s, the beggars were watching British TV without paying a licence! The height of some of the aerials was breathtaking - was RTE THAT bad! Mind you BBC was better then.

In 1958 you would have needed a TV set in a DeLorean to watch RTÉ.

It would have been noticed if you'd parked one in Donegal town then.

• Funny 1

52 minutes ago, Irishswissernie said:

Donegal Town Centre 18 May 1958. No trains in this one but there are 2 GNRI single deckers hiding in the back ground and it is a JG Dewing slide. Views like this with a specific date are invaluable in setting the period on a model railway.

No double yellow lines, Park your car where you like. Nowadays when you look on Google Street View its a glorified roundabout with a pedestrianised  centre , fancy little walls and seats, the trees have grown but to plagiarise  Pete Seeger: Where have all the people gone - Gone to Aldi (just round the corner) everyone?

1958-05-18DonegalTown2GNRIbusinview..thumb.jpg.20d0095168a94173851eb02fda4036b8.jpg

I prefer Lidl!

Car on the left sticking its nose into shot is an Austin Somerset, so is the black one in front of the man with his hands on his hips, ask me how I know

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, skinner75 said:

Anyone any idea whether the car license plates are from NI or ROI? 

Just wondering if the Donegal attitude was the same back then as it is now - buy car in NI, then don't bother getting a ROI plate on it

The plate starting with ZP is a Donegal one and the one starting with ID is a Cavan license plate

• Like 4