Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, Andy Cundick said:

Theres a drawing of it in part 2 of the Oakwood Valencia  Railway book,page 234,that one is numbered 8457.Andy.

Talking of which; if anyone here is in a position to put me in touch with the author of this excellent work, one Patrick O'Sullivan, please do so; I would appreciate it. I am anxious to contact him as I have some information he may find useful. I believe he lives in Brexitstan........

• Like 1

PM sent to you - despite your offensive comments about the wonderful country which Boris Johnsonovich and his evil sidekick Jacob Free-Bogg(s) (for all) conned the thickos living here into voting for oblivion.

For once a man who knew the area wrote the book about its railways - Patrick did a great job.

Edited by leslie10646
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2

52 minutes ago, leslie10646 said:

PM sent to you - despite your offensive comments about the wonderful country which Boris Johnsonovich and his evil sidekick Jacob Free-Bogg(s) (for all) conned the thickos living here into voting for oblivion.

For once a man who knew the area wrote the book about its railways - Parick did a great job.

Very many thanks, Leslie, yes, his books were an absolute masterpiece.

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Talking of which; if anyone here is in a position to put me in touch with the author of this excellent work, one Patrick O'Sullivan, please do so; I would appreciate it. I am anxious to contact him as I have some information he may find useful. I believe he lives in Brexitstan........

Hi JHB,

I exchanged emails with him earlier in the year as I was aware he had started building a model of Caharcieveen in 2mm scale many moons ago.

I'll contact him and check he is happy for me pass on his details.

Cheers

Angus

Edit: I should have read further, I see Leslie has already sent you his details.

Edited by Angus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

CB&SCR Cork, Albert Quay , F6,41 July 1955.

CIE.This is said to be Dromod but I don't think so, ideas anyone! 19 September 1958.

Cavan & Leitrim , Ballinamore Coach 5L ca 1959

Feb23Med035 cie Dromod 19 Sept 1958 

Edgeworthstown maybe? The lack of a water tower suggest it's not Dromod alright.

• Like 2

On 25/8/2023 at 12:26 AM, Irishswissernie said:

I have just realised that I am away tomorrow entertaining relations (including 5 year old granddaughter so definitely no free time! We are, so I'm told on diverging Learning Curves ) so I have added these to flickr today.

Wexford Shed, 543 minus its front bogie wheels and 87, 5 July 1954.

Ennis D14, 93 on 8.55am Galway - Limerick passing the West Clare sidings 23 September 1953.

Cork City Railway, C7 317 heads for Kent station 10 June 1952.

CDRJC (NCC) Londonderry, Victoria Road, 5, 'Drumboe' 12 July 1954.

CIE 1954-07-05 Wexford 543 + 87 Mck022   

Interesting photo of 543 formerly MGWR C Class No10 "Faugh-a-Ballagh" at Wexford in 1954. The Class had a reputation of rough riding being considered top heavy and poorly sprung, its possible the bogie is out for attention to a bearing.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mayner said:

Interesting photo of 543 formerly MGWR C Class No10 "Faugh-a-Ballagh" at Wexford in 1954. The Class had a reputation of rough riding being considered top heavy and poorly sprung, its possible the bogie is out for attention to a bearing.

I'm considering that for a timeline where the MGWR lines get some investment in the 20s and 30s under a better-managed GSR (or country!), which allows for more modern locomotives to oust the rough-riding MGWR 4-4-0s.

Whatever it was about MGWR locomotives, they seem to have had a terrible time between rough riding and high maintenance. It's a shame too. The likes of the C class were very handsome machines indeed.

Interestingly, speaking of bearings, apparently, the 800s tended to wear out the rear set of bearings due to the weight at the back. Perhaps a legacy issue originating from the Pacific design?

• Like 2

Good looking locos, but according to the GSR reports, rather a lot of duds. Dated, sluggish runners and poor steamers in the ex MGWR stud.

G2 and J26 classes are probably the pick of the bunch in terms of usefulness and longevity, although both were tiny little things. Excluding the Woolwiches as not being an in-house design.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

On 30/8/2023 at 12:44 AM, minister_for_hardship said:

Good looking locos, but according to the GSR reports, rather a lot of duds. Dated, sluggish runners and poor steamers in the ex MGWR stud.

G2 and J26 classes are probably the pick of the bunch in terms of usefulness and longevity, although both were tiny little things. Excluding the Woolwiches as not being an in-house design.

Its likely that some of the criticism of ex-Midland locos in the GSR/CIE as sluggish and poor steamers may have been due to the lack of familarity with Midland locos on the Southern and at Inchacore.

With a few exceptions ex-MGWR 2-4-0s on DSER and Bray Suburban trains, a pair of 0-6-0s a Standard Goods and a Cattle engine on loan to Waterford for the Beet Season and the successful use of ex-MGWR Cs Class 4-4-0s on Kingsbridge-Nenagh-Limerick trains during the 1930s, ex-MGWR locos worked the majority of goods and passenger trains on the Midland until displaced by railcars and diesels.

Jack O'Neil describes his first 1946 run as a fireman on 540 assisting the down Galway Mail from Mullingar to Athlone, talks about the rough riding (Woolwich Moguls also had a bad reputation) advised if he had false teeth to take them out when getting on!

Described the loco as free steaming and easy to fire and a steady runner until "notched up beyond 65%" (worked hard)

Jack's last fired one of the Class "being worked to death" on DSER suburban service "until no longer safe to be on the road" in 1954 .

Also notes a high speed (70max) 1954 run with 543 on the "Caddagh" (Dublin-Galway via Portarlington) a precursor of the Cu na Mara" railcar express of the 50s and 60s and a 1939 run on a Limerick-Kingsbridge via Nenagh with 60mph running.

The MGWR large 4-4-0s appear to have been designed as mixed traffic locos capable of hauling heavy passenger and livestock trains, the locos had smaller 6'3"  driving wheels and the valve gear was set up differently to the GSWR  6'7" 4-4-0s which were designed for high speed running on the Cork Main line. The MGWR 4-4-0s would have had to be worked harder to achieve a similar speed which would have also increased maintenance costs.

It likely that overloading and a backlog of maintenance became a significant problem during the CIE era as train frequencies were reduced in an attempt to control CIEs worsening financial position and overloading was identified as a significant problem with the Woolwich Moguls and rebuilding of some Moguls as 4-6-0s Woolwich cylinders and motion, 400 Class boilers was actually proposed

• Like 6
  • Informative 3

There were some more CDRJC views in the latest Dewing lot Jim. Here's a couple plus one  for 'Galteemore' I think he might like it.

Donegal Town Railcar 20 26 May 1957.

Stranorlar, Ex DBST converted to Trailer 3 plus a bit of the Turntable detail a not so common view looking south. 24 May 1957.

SLNCR 'Enniskillen' at Manorhamilton 27 May 1957.

CDRJC 1957-05-26 Donegal Town, R'car 20 JGD570111 CDRJC 1957-05-24 Stranorlar, Trailer 3 ex D &B ST JGD570115

SLNCR 1957-05-27 Manorhamilton 'Enniskillen' JGD570723

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 11

Indeed it could. It’s actually better than the photo he took just a few minutes later or earlier which features in this book. The engine is clearly in fine fettle, ready for the hard climb up Kilmakerrill summit. When this pic was taken - May 57 - Enniskillen was the most recently shopped SLNC loco and the most mechanically sound loco in the fleet. 

CBE6973F-DEE9-42F8-B6C1-3C64284BD756.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 1

I now have that original slide as well. I didn't know the loco portrait slide existed but Mr Dewing had had a go at re-composing the slide image and I have had to clear some sticky tape off it before I could scan it. This probably put publishers off using it in the past. This is the one of the train at Manorhamilton Been on this topic before.

SLNC 1957-05-27 Manorhamilton 'Enniskillen' JGD

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1