Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive

Rate this topic

Great stuff, Ernie. Your photographer was obviously one of the LCGB group led by Lance King, for his colour slides for those dates are very similar.

You can see members of the group boarding Railcar B at Manorhamilton, which they had reached behind Lough Melvin on the goods. At Ballyshannon, Lance took colour of the trailer seen in one of the shots, but your photographer's shots show a lot more of the layout of the station.

Do we get shots on the Bundoran branch next?

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Back to the Bundoran branch, a last view at Ballyshannon of No 50, before  we move on to Belleek 8 June 1957. The Driver patiently again awaiting the photographer re-boarding the train, whilst the rest of the train crew have a 'chat', possibly discussing job options with less than 4 months to closure on 1 October 1957.

GNRI 1957-06-08 Ballyshannon 50 LN1093 GNRI 1957-06-08 Belleek 50 LN1095

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 14
  • WOW! 1

Little wonder that the driver was on the lookout, I expect that most of the LCGB party was standing with the photographer - in other words most of the passengers on his train!

Remember the money on those trains was often what was carried in the vans!

Great stuff this, Ernie. I only have Lance's colour - Richard Mclachlan has his Black and White - so I'm seeing more the bits of that journey thanks to you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No 50 has now arrived at Pettigo 8 June 1957.

The next view of the train is at Irvinestown, No 50 now apparently has a cattle wagon in the consist, it may be that the date recorded in the index or the location is wrong . EDIT Location is correct.

Finally a couple of views at Portrush, no date.

GNRI 1957-06-08  Pettigo 50 LN1096 GNRI 1957-06-08 Irvinestown 50 LN1098 Portrush justa249 Portrush justa138

• Like 15

Irvinestown  re EDITED) & Bundoran Junction today, 8 June 1957 with Loco 50. 5 views because I uploaded them to flickr in the wrong order!

First one is 50 said to be at Irvinestown but I'm pretty sure  this is Kesh so I am amending the Title.

No 50 has now arrived at Bundoran Junction. First view is of the train drawing out of the Bundoran branch platform.

Second & third are the train after reversal into the Enniskillen platform and the fourth the loco reversing into the Omagh platform probably propelling a van off its train onto a train for Omagh. This appears to have been a regular ocurrence.

GNRI 1957-06-08 Kesh 50 LN1097

GNRI 1957-06-08 Bundoran Junction 50 LN1102 GNRI 1957-06-08 Bundoran Junction 50 LN1099 GNRI 1957-06-08 Bundoran Junction 50 LN1100 GNRI 1957-06-08 Bundoran Junction 50 LN1101

• Like 15
  • WOW! 1

1 hour ago, leslie10646 said:

Looking at the photo of the UG at Fintona Jct, I realised that I could replicate it, although not the precise coaches. I have a clerestory courtesy of Richard Eliis-Hobbs, I have several brake/thirds and everything behind the coaches is in the Provincial Wagons range .....

Leslie,

Looks like the carriages are an F1 and maybe an L5.

Paul

• Like 1