Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive

Rate this topic

On 27/2/2024 at 10:21 AM, Galteemore said:

Wonderful. What a lovely conversation shot at Dromod. Unusual to see a T2 on the Irish North 

It would have been unusual if the T2 was on the Irish North - I suspect it had come up through Armagh on the Ulster Railway. They were used on trains through Richhill in the late fifties - I remember travelling behind one out of Portadown with my grandmother (mind you just to the said Centre of the Universe!).

No.58 is on the Thursday All-in tour to Dublin  for tourists staying at UTA hotels in the North - the Laharnara in Larne especially if my memory serves. Note the diner!

Finally, a personal thanks for confirmation that I have been hauled by B147, which pulled the RPSI tour into Wicklow (Murrough) in 1972 or so.

Edited by leslie10646
  • Informative 2

These are fabulous. Given the cost of a colour photo in the 50s, unsurprising that few people took such views - better to spend the money on 3/4 loco shots! So glad he did though - gives a real insight into what it was like to travel on the Irish NG.

3 minutes ago, leslie10646 said:

It would have been unusual if the T2 was on the Irish North - I suspect it had come up through Armagh on the Ulster Railway. They were used on trains through Richhill in the late fifties - I remember travelling behind one out of Portadown with my grandmother (mind you just to the said Centre of the Universe!).

No.58 is on the Thursday All-in tour to Dublin  for tourists staying at UTA hotels in the North - the Laharnara in Larne especially if my memory serves. Note the diner!

Thanks Leslie - I’d just never seen one at Clones before. 

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

Some interior views today courtesy of JG Dewing.

C&L 1959-03-xx Ballinamore Coach No 1 JGD After renovation but before they swept the floor !

CDRJC 1959-08-12 Lifford Railcar 20 JGD590810 Modelling the upholstery in the correct colours looks to be a challenge.

CDRJC 1959-05-08 Convoy, Drumboe climbing to summit. JGD590723 This is the first slide that I have acquired that confirms that the dome should be painted red as faint traces of it appear under the black 'weathering'.

C&L 1959-03-xx Ballinamore Coach No 1 JGD CDRJC 1959-08-12 Lifford Railcar 20 JGD590810 CDRJC 1959-05-08 Convoy, Drumboe climbing to summit. JGD590723

The rear bench seat of Railcar 20 has been upholstered with a different pattern moquette.

Paul

3 hours ago, Paul 34F said:

The rear bench seat of Railcar 20 has been upholstered with a different pattern moquette.

Probably re-upholstered due to excessive wear from school kids, courting couples etc. When I was a lad the rear long seat on the Atlantean busses etc were always the most popular!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, airfixfan said:

Great to see interior of railcar 12 plus confirmation of my belief that Drumboe needs a red not black dome in Donegal Town where I will be tomorrow!

Not just a "belief"; it's fact! The CDR never painted domes black on red locomotives. Like many another livery faux-pas, this is a product of a lack of accurate research at Whitehead; we've TWO of these things with black domes now.....! Mind you, not just the domes, but often the tops of the water tanks, the cab front and rear, and most of the boiler ended up caked with so much soot and general gunk that it might as well have been painted black - same with bright blue GNR locos. I'd say if someone painted 171's or 85's dome black, there would be war...... Many CIE green or grey engines, similarly, ended their days so filthy that they could have been painted lime green, tartan and flourescent pink for all anyone could see.....

Rant over; to Ernie's latest pictures - absolutely SUPERB stuff.

6 hours ago, Paul 34F said:

Paul

That's standard GNR 3rd class material of the day. The C&L coach 1L has what was then standard CIE 3rd / 2nd class.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 2

14 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

.... not just the domes, but often the tops of the water tanks, the cab front and rear, and most of the boiler ended up caked with so much soot and general gunk that it might as well have been painted black - same with bright blue GNR locos. I'd say if someone painted 171's or 85's dome black, there would be war...... Many CIE green or grey engines, similarly, ended their days so filthy that they could have been painted lime green, tartan and flourescent pink for all anyone could see.....

Standards of cleanliness weren't high, in short. 

On 24/3/2024 at 10:34 AM, Mayner said:

Its possible that a set of ex-MGWR 6w were in use as late as 1961.

According to Padraig O'Cuimin in Baronial Lines of the MGWR bogie coaches were introduced on the Loughrea Branch in the 1950s. A GSR built composite 2115 (Built 1935) ran with 91 an ex-GSWR 6w Brake 3rd No91.

"At other times a Midland set was used" 39m 6w lav 1st, 85m 6w second and 9m 6w BK 3rd rebuilt by the GSR without the birdcage look out.  This looks like the set in the first proto.

O'Cuimin states that the final steam set was made up of 2111 a 1925 GSR Composite and 2932 one of the recently  introduced 4w Luggage and Heating Vans.

The coach in the photo with 610 appears to be a 1920s GSR coach and likely to be 2111, the 6w Passenger Brake appears to be ex-GSWR with gas lighting possibly No 91 (the shape of the lamptops is a feature of gas light carriages).

The steam locos are both ex-MGWR L Class 0-6-0s or J19 rebuilt with superheated boilers, these engines originally ran with "Stirling" style tenders with springs hidden behind the framing, but apparently replaced with larger tenders, the first off a 2-4-0 or more modern (1890s) LM/J18 or a 2-4-0, 610 has a larger post 1900 tender possibly off a scrapped 4-4-0 or 0-6-0.

Correct on all points; as early as the early 1950s they had  1920s GSWR bopgie compo on the line, usully with an elderly MGWR 6-wheel brake 3rd. But as you say in the early 60s a traditional rake of three six-wheelers reappeared for a while, as above, before 2111 appearing for the final steam fling.

While I don't have the number, in the very last few years a modern silver "tin van" was also to be seen attached to 2111.

610 was a regular on the line in its last few years.

17 hours ago, Andy Cundick said:

Slight point of order it isn't Railcar 20 its 19 the difference is in the toplights 19 had alternate opening toplights whereas 20 had them all opening. 

CDRJC 1959-07-01 Letterkenny railcar 19

Railcar 19 didn't have the  rails across the windows either, but luckily awaiting uploading is an exterior slide he took at Lifford on the same day (the date he quotes might be wrong)

The clincher being the 2 young ladies waving at him in the same seat with the poster on the window. Its recorded on that slide as Railcar 12. I think this is correct the cab unit fits.

CDRJC 1959-05-12 Lifford Railcar 12 JGD590809

CDRJC 1959-05-12 Lifford Railcar 12 JGD590809

• Like 8

Three well known views from John G Dewing today. These are scanned from the original slides which I have now acquired.

The first 2 are Cavan & Leitrim views which have appeared in print before and duplicates were available in the past from Colourail and should have been deleted from their catalogue when the originals were returned to JGD.

C&L 1959-03-16 Dereen 6T JGD590526

C&L 1959-03-16 Shannon Bridge, Arigna 3T JGD590535

CBSC 1961-03-17 Dunmanway IRRS SPL JGD610332

C&L 1959-03-16 Dereen 6T JGD590526 C&L 1959-03-16 Shannon Bridge, Arigna 3T JGD590535 CBSC 1961-03-17 Dunmanway IRRS SPL JGD610332

• Like 11

On 27/3/2024 at 9:22 AM, leslie10646 said:

No.

And thanks to Ernie - here is a T2 beyond Clones….

GNRI Class T2 4-4-2T 66 Ballyhaise branch Henry Emeleus'ARPT 086

• Like 6

On 27/3/2024 at 8:52 AM, Irishswissernie said:

Some interior views today courtesy of JG Dewing.

C&L 1959-03-xx Ballinamore Coach No 1 JGD After renovation but before they swept the floor !

C

Apparently one of the rebuilt C&L carriages only re-entered traffic in November 1958—so it didn't even see six months in service post rebuild!

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

2 hours ago, Niles said:

Apparently one of the rebuilt C&L carriages only re-entered traffic in November 1958—so it didn't even see six months in service post rebuild!

The re-built C&L carriage 1L was transferred to the West Clare where it was used in passenger trains and later used as on the BNM Bellacorick system where it was destroyed by fire shortly before the current C&L operation was established. 

Apparently BNM staff were embarrassed when the preservationists turned up at Ballacorick enquiring about the C&L Coach.

CLcoach03042024.thumb.jpg.34bce06869618d067249fe7bc02688b0.jpg

C&L Coach in West Clare passenger train Ennistimon (Photo courtesy Railway Magazine Irish Narrow Gauge Vol 1. Tom Ferris 1993.

• Like 6
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, Irishswissernie said:

Picked up this one off E Bay,CIE 1965-01-xx Athlone C204.

CIE 1965-01-xx Athlone C204

Wasn't sure if it was Athlone West or Westport for a moment positioning on the buildings, tracklayout and hill in the background, though I managed to find a photo of Athlone West Junction looking the other way in Ernie Shepherds MGWR book.  The signal cabin and station canopy in the background are a give away.

C204 is on the MGWR Cattle Bank Road, the large building to the left of C204 is the 'new" MGWR loco shed the original loco shed in the right background opposite the signal cabin.

The area west of the Junction was cleared with just the main running line remaining after Athlone was re-signalled in the mid 1980s, in "Fayles Bulletin" 1No 35:8 1937  the writer speaks of a day trip  to Athlone double headed by a pair of recently introduced 342 Class 4-4-0 (favourite for mystery and excursion trains>

During their stay the visitors observed 531,532 (Achill Bogie) 590 (Std Goods) and 623 (Cattle Engine) at the 'small shed". 533,535 (Achill Bogie) 589,606 (Std Goods) 621 (Avonside H Goods),635,642 (Cattle Engine)659,663,665 Ks Passenger (2-4-0). 

Not a bad 2½  hrs in Sep 37.

Visitors probably though the railway was run down and lacked variety to pre-amalgamation days. Midland Main Line and Mayo Branch singled. Distinctive GSWR and MGWR identities and liveries obliterated , all locos painted drab grey, lining obliterated, loco nameplates removed. 

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 1

I thought it may have been Westport when I first saw it on E Bay as the location wasn't mentioned. However when the slide arrived it was marked as Athlone 65 1 which I have taken to mean 1965 possibly January.

Comparison with a number of views I have of Athlone confirmed the location and also the exact 'spot', the junction for Westport is just in front of the box in the distance and not very apparent on the slide.

5 JG Dewing slides today, I have also uploaded another 4 'from the cab views' on Aghadavoyle Bank to Flickr.

GNRI 1964-05-29 Near Aghadavoyle summit 207 14.15 Dublin - Belfast JGD640335

CIE 1959-03-15 Dunlavin 171 IRRS Spl to Tullow JGD590105. The Special was also used to retrieve the long rake of cattle wagons on the rear of the train.

CIE 1959-05-17 Killiney & Ballybrack JGD590727

CIE 1959-xx-xx Dublin - Belfast nameboard in Erse

CIE 1959-xx-xx Dublin - Belfast nameboard in English

GNRI 1964-05-29 Near Aghadavoyle summit 207 14.15 Dublin - Belfast JGD640335 CIE 1959-03-15 Dunlavin 171 IRRS Spl to Tullow JGD590105 CIE 1959-05-17 Killiney & Ballybrack JGD590727 CIE 1959-xx-xx Dublin - Belfast nameboard in Erse CIE 1959-xx-xx Dublin - Belfast nameboard in English

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 12

NCC/UTA today.

NCC 1937-xx CA Belfast, York Rd.Railcar 4 .Loco on left 28 wdn 1938. This negative had been damaged by JGD in his declining years hence the odd size.

NCC 1963-05-xx Belfast York Road, Class W Boiler according to his caption.

NCC 1960-05-17 Belfast York Road NCC symbol JGD600402

NCC 1937-xx CA Belfast, York Rd.Railcar 4 .Loco on left 28 wdn 1938 NCC 1963-05-xx Belfast York Road, Class W Boiler NCC 1960-05-17 Belfast York Road NCC symbol JGD600402

• Like 11

That Triumph Herald in the foreground takes me back to 1960 when my father passed his Driving Test in his mid forties and he started saving to buy a car. He hadn't saved enough to buy his preferred car which was the Herald so we bought him one for Christmas. Unfortunately ours was a slightly smaller version being a Dinky Toy in green and white. He  looked at it and put it away in its box which I didn't see again until his death in 1987. Untouched, boxed and in pristine condition the model could well be worth nowadays as much as the real thing was then. My brother got it!😞

• Like 2
  • WOW! 1

31 minutes ago, Irishswissernie said:

That Triumph Herald in the foreground takes me back to 1960 when my father passed his Driving Test in his mid forties and he started saving to buy a car. He hadn't saved enough to buy his preferred car which was the Herald so we bought him one for Christmas. Unfortunately ours was a slightly smaller version being a Dinky Toy in green and white. He  looked at it and put it away in its box which I didn't see again until his death in 1987. Untouched, boxed and in pristine condition the model could well be worth nowadays as much as the real thing was then. My brother got it!😞

Great story 👏

15 minutes ago, Irishswissernie said:

I worked with a bloke in the 70s and 80s who was a Herald aficionado. Although a fan of them, Harry was not in denial about their (many) weaknesses. His three-week annual holiday would comprise the second and third weeks away in Wales or Scotland, preceded by the first week dismantling and reassembling the car in preparation.

He always carried a lot of general spares, as a quick repair in order to get back home was often a requirement of any trip. He did, also, have a policy of never travelling over the county boundary without a half-shaft in the boot. Over the years, this proved to be a sound policy, as he changed at least three of them at the side of the road...

At one point, when teaching his long-suffering wife, Thelma, to drive and acquiescing to her assertion that she could drive it into the garage now, he was nagging her so much about missing the rather tight gateposts that she failed to stop in front of the, as yet unopened, wooden double doors of the garage. The car, an estate, sailed on through the doors into the interior. He was a serious hoarder of 'good stuff' and the garage was packed, leaving only the shape of the car in the middle. The collapsed garage doors stopped the possibility of reversing back out and the stored items precluded the car doors being opened. His normal practice was to stop on the drive, open the garage doors and push the car in, then pulling it back out, when it was next to be used.

Luckily, this car was an estate and he was able to exit via the tailgate, remove the obstructions and pull the car back out, with her still in it, so she could get out.

Realising that he had at least some blame for this event, no words were ever exchanged about it and he merely repaired the garage doors to the standard of a museum conservator.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

On 10/4/2024 at 10:12 AM, Irishswissernie said:

5 JG Dewing slides today, I have also uploaded another 4 'from the cab views' on Aghadavoyle Bank to Flickr.

GNRI 1964-05-29 Near Aghadavoyle summit 207 14.15 Dublin - Belfast JGD640335

CIE 1959-03-15 Dunlavin 171 IRRS Spl to Tullow JGD590105. The Special was also used to retrieve the long rake of cattle wagons on the rear of the train.

CIE 1959-05-17 Killiney & Ballybrack JGD590727

CIE 1959-xx-xx Dublin - Belfast nameboard in Erse

CIE 1959-xx-xx Dublin - Belfast nameboard in English

GNRI 1964-05-29 Near Aghadavoyle summit 207 14.15 Dublin - Belfast JGD640335 CIE 1959-03-15 Dunlavin 171 IRRS Spl to Tullow JGD590105 CIE 1959-05-17 Killiney & Ballybrack JGD590727 CIE 1959-xx-xx Dublin - Belfast nameboard in Erse CIE 1959-xx-xx Dublin - Belfast nameboard in English

Ernie, please forgive my impertinence in correcting the account of the Dunlavin photo.

The train REALLY was stock run down for a a cattle special from Baltinglass on the Monday, 16th. The coaches were for the IRRS members who travelled down on Sunday 15h March with the empty train of wagons ("The Last Train to Tullow"). Most members returned home that evening but on 16th the Fair was held in Baltinglass and the cattle were duly loaded at the bank:

V04copy.thumb.jpeg.1f5d202a1a799aec0ce0161280bd2294.jpeg

Baltinglass 16.3.1959                                                                   Lance King collection, Copyright IRRS

Thanks for the super JGD photo of No.207!

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

NCC/UTA today.

NCC 1963-05-xx Belfast York Road, Class W Boiler according to his caption.

NCC 1963-05-xx Belfast York Road, Class W Boiler 

May not be, as the tubeplate is set up for a built-up smokebox wrapper. The "W" mogul had a drumhead (cylindrical) smokebox, so the tubeplate would also have been cylindrical to match.

Madame says I should get out more , I'm not sure what she means as I have had several Doctors and Hospital appointments recently. However to keep her quiet (fat chance) my youngest daughter and husband are taking me to Porthmadog for a week in a caravan next weekend so I can travel on the Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland. That's if I can find a train, I'm not a fan of their current timetable system  and much prefer a normal  one. My sons have also er forced me to book a trip to the Statfold Barn Railway Gala on 8 June.

If I can get some peace I intend to upload quite a few images to Flickr in the next few days.

Todays offering is the County Donegal Railways , 3 views of Strabane , sadly two are after closure and illustrate the road on the Letterkenny line trackbed built over the River Foyle Bridge to Lifford as the road bridge wasn't in a fit state to take the replacement road services. Also a view of Castlefin station with 'Blanche' on the Stranorlar Goods. These JG Dewing original slides were all in a bit of a state but I have done my best to clean them up.

CDRJC 1958-10-2 Strabane ,Goods from Letterkenny JGD

CDRJC 1960-05-20 Road on Letterkenny branch to Lifford JGD600501

CDRJC 1960 Strabane JGD60507

CDRJC 1959-05-08 Castlefinn 'Blanche' JGD590719

CDRJC 1958-10-2 Strabane ,Goods from Letterkenny JGD CDRJC 1960-05-20 Road on Letterkenny branch to Lifford JGD600501 CDRJC 1960 Strabane JGD60507 CDRJC 1959-05-08 Castlefinn 'Blanche' JGD590719

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for these lovely views. John D saw things others ignored.

Enjoy "Port" - my family spent endless holidays there when I had no money. Not sure about the caravan - we used a flat on South Harbour - 50 yards from breakfast table to the first coach of the 10am train!

Happy (often very wet) days!

• Like 2