Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, Galteemore said:

Must be early UTA for the UG. Still pretty clean with GNR markings very clear!

Not just that, but the UG still has its GNR number!

The railcar shot is great to see - a bit of history as she is going under the "under construction" M1 overbridge. I remember experiencing an impressive blow-back from the open firebox door while going under that bridge on a tank engine!

Thanks Ernie!

Hi Lesile

In the photo showing the railcar at Finaghy would the M1 overbridge be near Blacks Road. The M1 overbridge at Finaghy Road North straddles the road and is about half a mile from Finaghy station and railway line. The M1 only crosses the rail line at Blacks Road. That would put is about halfway between Finaghy and Dunmurry stations. Perhaps a better caption might be "between Finaghy and Dunmurry stations"

MikeO

The M1 was built over this tunnel beside Blacks Road.

I grew up in the street in the background and spent a lot of time around the pine trees area where

we had a long rope swing tied to a tree and I have been in this tunnel sometimes.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

GNRI 1960-05-17 Finaghy Railcar xx JGD600328.

GNRI 1961-05-31 Adelaide 62 JGD610703

GNRI 1960's CA Belfast GVS UG 82 later UTA 47 x032

GNRI 1960-05-17 Finaghy Railcar xx JGD600328 GNRI 1961-05-31 Adelaide 62 JGD610703 GNRI 1960's CA Belfast GVS UG 82 later UTA 47 x032

Parental Advice Warning: Do not read the following, if you are Leslie or Galteemore....

Must say I thought that the UTA's black loco livery - which I remember well - suited formerly BLUE GNR 4.4.0s very well.....

(I'll go off and flog myself now with a thorn branch till I bleed all over...)

• Like 4
  • Funny 2

We'll let you away with that one, JB. I agree that the GN locos which got the full  bling UTA lined black looked very smart, when they were clean!

The issue was the sacrilege of covering up the beautiful blue to do it.

Of course, the overhaul / repaint indicated that they meant to keep them a while longer. Now they didn't do it to their two VS Class or their Compounds (scrapped almost immediately after the Dissolution).

Perhaps, as the VS Class ran posh specials like the Rugby Trains, they felt they should be a bit different?

Also, regrettably, they were never given a major overhaul by the UTA, which probably resulted in their diminishing use, in favour of the  ex-NCC Moguls.

The Antrim Branch which had to be traversed to get to the York Road workshops had a light axle loading, so the VS were banned from using it and thus not getting major work. There was one exception when No.59 (?) made an emergency run to York Road, so that a repair could be made before the Rugby special  season. I have a photo, but can't locate it!

• Like 2

Thanks Ernie - the Enniskillen view is basically of the section I’m building. Looks like the 2pm goods being made up. Very unkempt 0-6-0 on the GN lines - not the show pony AL No 59 that was normally the Enniskillen pilot. Looks like she is shuffling coal trucks around - either for the shed at EKN or possibly Manorhamilton.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

the Enniskillen view is basically of the section I’m building

Yes I noticed that in your Topic; I did a check through the scans that havn't been uploaded to flickr yet, the only other relevant one is a B&W negative of the colour image that is already uploaded.

https://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/XAW027572

The above is a link to an aerial view of Enniskillen in the Britain from the Air site. I always thought that the canopy by the SLNCR Bay extended as far as the station and footbridge but it didn't even reach the terminal end of the bay platform

EnniskillenBrittainfromtheAirsite..JPG.ac0607e9c1a9600ddff45280a95067ae.JPG

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

A few arrivals this week, a friend gave me some 80 Northern Ireland slides from the the mid 1960's and today a mixed bag arrived including some JG Dewing negatives.

This one caught my eye. I'm pretty sure that the bogie coach is one of DNGR Tri-Composites 23 or 24 built for the Greenore- Belfast Boat trains in 1899. Please correct me if it isn't! EDITed to  The bogie carriage is a GNRI vehicle, number 130, (a one off), originally H2 2nd/3rd class, downgraded in 1941 to all 3rd and allocated K21. Thanks Paul. I thought that if it was the ex D&NGR Tri-Composite it would have retained the 'LNWR' livery.

DN&GR 1949-05 CA Newry Bridge Street station, Greenore train JT94 and GNRI bogie + DNG 6 whl stock. JGD490903

DN&GR 1949-05 CA Newry Bridge Street station, Greenore train JT94 and DNGR bogie + 6 whl stock. JGD490903

• Like 11

14 minutes ago, Irishswissernie said:

Thanks, I will amend the Title accordingly. I think I read somewhere that the DNGR bogie coaches were transferred to the NCC during or before WW11 possibly to replace destroyed NCC stock during the Air Raids and that a third coach DNG no 25 was destroyed by bombing in Belfast.

Correct. The GNR often used their own stock on this line as well as the ageing DNGR six-wheelers.

• Like 1

I have been working through some donated Dia-Dema reversible type film slides this week. They are in a terrible state but some 45 of the 80 have been rescued and 41 of these have been identified as to location etc. They all date from 1964/5. These 4 need locations.

Comments welcome!

x245 N Ireland 1964'5 where!

x245 N Ireland 1964'5 where!

x244 NCC N Ireland 1964'5 where!

x244 NCC N Ireland 1964'5 where!

x216 N Ireland 1964'5 where!

x209 N Ireland 1964'5 where!

x209 N Ireland 1964'5 where!

• Like 6

Thanks, there is some indecipherable scribble on the top slide which might read near Lisburn.

This one is is also a recent arrival! Hazelwood at Sligo , 15 May 1956. JG Dewing of course! I have often wondered how Mr Dewing managed to take photos in Ireland during the War and  have been given a postcard photo dated 20 April 1940 showing him on a cycle near Sandycove. The text reads.

" JGD on his way to Bray from Dublin on the last day of an epic fortnight spent cycling in Ireland with his oldest friend, Frank Jones; away from wartime Britain, before both joined HM Forces "

SLNCR 1956-05-15 Sligo 'Hazelwood' JGD 560904

• Like 9
  • WOW! 1

I don't think x244 (2nd one) is Balmoral the sidings don't look right. The 3rd one could be Hilden, the pole line and trees etc match but compared to this one by J G Dewing taken about 4-5 years earlier the box has gone but a distant signal has appeared on the later view. The building appears to be being rebuilt to on the later view. Just to further muddy the waters I'm not convinced that Dewing's photo is at Hilden. See the snip I have added of the box (which also has advertising board on the front so the name could have been altered)

GNRI 1960-05-16 UTA 67 Hilden JG DewingA172

hildensnip.thumb.JPG.9393be48fe577f455a542ededa54c636.JPG

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Irishswissernie said:

I don't think x244 (2nd one) is Balmoral the sidings don't look right. The 3rd one could be Hilden, the pole line and trees etc match but compared to this one by J G Dewing taken about 4-5 years earlier the box has gone but a distant signal has appeared on the later view. The building appears to be being rebuilt to on the later view.

GNRI 1960-05-16 UTA 67 Hilden JG DewingA172

Could be Lurgan with station behind photographer. Agreed / I did wonder about Balmoral when I saw the mill at left.

All now identified apart from these 2, any ideas. I think the WT is on the Coleraine - Ballymena - Greenisland line. There are other slides of the train on the Lisburn -Antrim branch so possibly returning down the ex NCC main line. . UG49 is on a railtour, it did venture south  around Drogheda on one Tour I think.

where x184 wherex195

• Like 8

x226 B&CDR 1965-08 Belfast Queens Quay cattle bank UG48.

NIR 1965-CA Whitehead, MPD powered goods. It took me a while to work out this location, I think its Whitehead with the line to the later RPSI site on the left. Only part of a rather poor slide but interesting.

GNRI'CDRJC 1960-05-21 Strabane , nameboard & Railcar 111 JGD 60704.

x226 B&CDR 1965-08 Belfast Queens Quay cattle bank UG48 NIR 1965-CA Whitehead, MPD powered goods GNRI'CDRJC 1960-05-21 Strabane , nameboard & Railcar 111 JGD 60704

• Like 8

These 3 Ektachrome originals were taken by an American photographer whilst on a short visit to Belfast in September 1955. Unfortunately the colours all had a bad red tinge due to aging but I have managed to restore them somewhat. The 2 at Great Victoria Street show UTA WT No 7 which had been lent to the GNRB prior to the splitting of the GNRI and also the MAK Diesel prior to its purchase and numbering 800 by the CIE. Apparently it was being trialled on Goods trains on the Londonderry line etc.

The final view is at Belfast Queens Quay.

GNRI 1955-09-xx Belfast GVS WT 7 temporarily transfered to GNRB GNRI 1955-09-xx Belfast GVS Mak Diesel B&CDR 1955-09-xx Belfast Queens Quay, Railcar 11

• Like 8
  • WOW! 1