Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive

Rate this topic

12 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

Waterford Manor station 555 5 July 1954....

W&T 1954-07-05 Waterford Manor 555 Mck031 

Clear photos of the J26s in later life, showing all the detail like this, are quite hard to come by, so this one is especially welcome. I'm still after good quality photos of 560 (which also had the enlarged cab) in its last few years.

• Like 2

4 JG Dewing views today; the first is ex W&T no 4 (GSR 486) built by Andrew Barclay in 1908 at Waterford Manor in April 1940, although looking in good fettle the loco was withdrawn the following year.

3 views of Aghadavoyle bank and Aghadavoyle station. The station view is 8 June 1961.

The other views are from the loco, SG3 UTA 35 on 31 May 1961 and there are some 18 slides of this trip up the bank and another trip on W Class 104 on 1 June 1961. A bit repetitive as they feature mainly the open countryside. I will add the others to flickr in due course.

W&T 1940-04-xx Waterford Manor 486 ex W&T 4 AB1137'1908 wdn 1941 JGD GNRI 1963-05-31 Aghadavoyle bank, entry to Summit cutting SG3 UTA 35 JGD630820 GNRI 1963-05-31 Aghadavoyle bank SG3 UTA 35 JGD630809 GNRI 1961-06-08 Aghadavoyle Station JGD610912

• Like 10

Always thought that W and T loco looked like a Hornby clockwork one! The coach is an MGWR hearse van, which had a ‘coffin turntable’ inside. Adavoyle station most interesting- signal lever frame was located in a front room of the house. Quite what js being signalled here is rather puzzling, unless the signal beyond the bridge has been placed on that side of the line for sighting purposes. 

IMG_9331.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Galteemore said:

Adavoyle station most interesting- signal lever frame was located in a front room of the house. Quite what js being signalled here is rather puzzling, unless the signal beyond the bridge has been placed on that side of the line for sighting purposes. 

The Up Home at Adavoyle does seem to have been been for sighting, as there's a farmer's overbridge not far north of the station. The station appears to have been built c1892, which would explain the integration of the signal cabin in the structure. Quite why the station was built at all, and not just an intermediate cabin, has always puzzled me.

• Like 2

An interesting comment from Jonathan Allen on the original Aghadavoyle station Flickr post.

'Cabin closed 1965 - presumably at the same time as Goraghwood - Newry - Warrenpoint. Lever frame was on the first floor of the station building (in the bit jutting out) and later collapsed through the floor! For many years, it could be clearly seen when passing by train.'

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 2
  • Informative 1

Adayoyle/Aghadavoyle was a popular location for models before Tony Miles built his Adavoyle layout during the 1960s/early70s a Model Railway Society of Ireland committee member had a OO gauge Adavoyle layout at at time models of Irish railways were extremely uncommon. 

I never got to see the layout, but saw some of the locos and stock, very much in the scratchbuilt body on a modified rtr chassis school of modelling. I picked up an O Scale Clogher Valley 0-4-2T on a triang Jinty chassis when the club disposedof his models. Loco body was a reasonable model in card and timber, but I wanted the chassis for a OO gauge project.

• Like 1

3 Cavan & Leitrim today , I particularly like JG Dewings shot of 5T at Dromod terminus on 22 May 1957 with (I think) ex T&D companions coach and bogie van plus the local passengers. The other 2 views are at Ballinamore, 3L on the Arigna train 26 August 1954 and 12L  21 May 1957 (Dewing's developing a bit suspect on this one)

The last view is at Cork J11 220 July 1955.

C&L 1957-05-22 Dromod 5T JGD5767 C&L 1954-08-26 Ballinamore 3L C&L 1957-05-21 Ballinamore 12L JGD5707 CIE 1955-07-ca Cork J11 220 LGM009

• Like 10

On 22/9/2023 at 9:40 PM, Irishswissernie said:

An interesting comment from Jonathan Allen on the original Aghadavoyle station Flickr post.

'Cabin closed 1965 - presumably at the same time as Goraghwood - Newry - Warrenpoint. Lever frame was on the first floor of the station building (in the bit jutting out) and later collapsed through the floor! For many years, it could be clearly seen when passing by train.'

Adavoyle was replaced by a new "cabin" (a hut) at Meigh. Adavoyle was apparently inconvenient if a northbound freight was stopped at it, as it was not handy restarting on the rising gradient. Meigh was easier in that regard and also covered the level crossing.

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

2 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

I've enlarged this bit of the Enniskillen Railbus 2A negative to highlight the unusual container on the platform which appears to have a barred door so you can see the contents  or possibly to convey dogs/ young animals etc.

SLNC1954-09-25EnniskillenRailbus2Acontainer.Mck005a.thumb.jpg.8a4a0caa71add33cbecdde2ebe0cca33.jpg

It looks like it could contain small children as well....

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

A couple more JG Dewing slides.

The first is the entrance facade to Belfast GVS on 25 May 1964, the only buildings recognisable today is the block containing the "Crown Bar and Robinsons Bar with a Barber's sandwiched between them.

The next one is a thatched cottage in Newtonstewart on 3 May 1964, it may have been of railway interest as its painted blue.

Lastly a giant cast iron netty which Galteemore has kindly identified as being in Victoria Square, Belfast June 1964.

GNRI 1964-05-25 Belfast GVS station forecourt. (Only the block with the pubs Crown Bar -barbers & Robinsons survive today) JGD640206 Ulster 1964-05-03 Newtonstewart thatched cottage JGD640510 Ulster 1964-06-xx Cast Iron Toilet Where! JGD640201

• Like 12

SLNCR Manorhamilton station "Lough Gill" 25 Sept 1954.

Glass Negative D7 539 at Dublin Harcourt Street probably between 1930-1935 before being reboilered.

GNRI 1960-05-20 Strabane.

Derry - Belfast diesel set xing the Foyle JGD600438. 5 Car BUT set on 4.10pm Derry to Belfast service. 2nd Coach is Buffet Car 124

SLNC 1954-09-25 Manorhamilton 'Lough Gill' Mck007 M&GW  1930 -xx- to 1935CA  Dublin Harcourt Street D7 539 glass neg. GNRI 1960-05-20 Strabane Derry - Belfast diesel set xing the Foyle JGD600438

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 12

Looks almost Dublin main line with the boats, but apparently it’s the Foyle viaduct rather than the more commonly pictured Mourne one. Lough Gill is always easy to identify in later pics as it was only Large Tank to keep smokebox lubricators into 50s.

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

Not sure that’s Strabane, but main line between Drogheda and Dublin. Strabane viaduct had different piers.

That picture is of the Mourne River bridge , the one I have is the bridge over the Foyle north of Strabane near Garvary (Google Maps). I too thought it was on the Dublin- Belfast Main Line but the slide caption says otherwise and its also in the  Colourpoint book on the GNRI page 67.

• Like 1

On 27/9/2023 at 7:59 AM, Irishswissernie said:

I've enlarged this bit of the Enniskillen Railbus 2A negative to highlight the unusual container on the platform which appears to have a barred door so you can see the contents  or possibly to convey dogs/ young animals etc.

SLNC1954-09-25EnniskillenRailbus2Acontainer.Mck005a.thumb.jpg.8a4a0caa71add33cbecdde2ebe0cca33.jpg

That's a leprechaun container. There was a colony of them near Belcoo.

• Funny 3

23 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

That picture is of the Mourne River bridge , the one I have is the bridge over the Foyle north of Strabane near Garvary (Google Maps). I too thought it was on the Dublin- Belfast Main Line but the slide caption says otherwise and its also in the  Colourpoint book on the GNRI page 67.

Correct Ernie you beat me to and one half of that bridge still survives today but not the one in the photo