Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive

Rate this topic

5 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

Mallow Shed, 715 June 1957.

Cavan & Leitrim, Drumshanbo 3L June 1957.

Belturbet, ca 1959 4T on the goods yard headshunt, whilst an ex CB&P 2-4-2T on the lower level line from Ballinamore on the right. Poor neg unfortunately but a bit different! 

CIE 1957-06 Mallow shed 715 LN149 C&L 1957-06 Drumshanbo 3L LN167 C&L 1959ca Belturbet 4t on headshunt CB&P loco on line from Ballinamore.

I like the first photo. The J15b's were quite nice looking locos, though not with the best reputation. Still an improvement over the J15As with their extremely conservative design. Neither class could beat the original J15, it seemed.

I seem to recall someone, perhaps Milne calling for locomotives similar to the cattle engines to be built as a standard locomotive, presumably to replace the J15s. Perhaps their high maintenance (a feature of the wider MGWR fleet, apparently) put Inchicore off replicating the design.

I think it was Nock who er...knocked the MGWR in comparison to the BCDR, noting that while the BCDR used its steam locomotives efficiently, it was not unusual to see dozens of locomotives sitting around Broadstone in the middle of the day!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GSR 800 said:

I like the first photo. The J15b's were quite nice looking locos, though not with the best reputation. Still an improvement over the J15As with their extremely conservative design. Neither class could beat the original J15, it seemed.

I seem to recall someone, perhaps Milne calling for locomotives similar to the cattle engines to be built as a standard locomotive, presumably to replace the J15s. Perhaps their high maintenance (a feature of the wider MGWR fleet, apparently) put Inchicore off replicating the design.

I think it was Nock who er...knocked the MGWR in comparison to the BCDR, noting that while the BCDR used its steam locomotives efficiently, it was not unusual to see dozens of locomotives sitting around Broadstone in the middle of the day!

It seems consideration was given to a CIÉ standard fleet of steam locos (perhaps similar to the BR Standards?), but full-on dieselisation was chosen instead, probably not that smart considering the reliability of the A & C engines…

3 hours ago, Branchline121 said:

It seems consideration was given to a CIÉ standard fleet of steam locos (perhaps similar to the BR Standards?), but full-on dieselisation was chosen instead, probably not that smart considering the reliability of the A & C engines…

Milne advocated for exactly that, along with shorter, more regular train schedules based around 2-6-0 and 0-6-0 designs, along with ending inchicores boiler renewal policy and standardising around fewer boilers, but CIE went diesel. In hindsight, this was a better choice, though the adoption of Milne's other proposals could have been beneficial (and may have saved some of the branch lines)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StevieB said:

The financial constraints that CIE would have been under no doubt influenced the decision to go diesel, along the distinct lack of steam coal in Ireland.

Stephen

Precisely.

11 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

Mallow Shed, 715 June 1957.

Cavan & Leitrim, Drumshanbo 3L June 1957.

Belturbet, ca 1959 4T on the goods yard headshunt, whilst an ex CB&P 2-4-2T on the lower level line from Ballinamore on the right. Poor neg unfortunately but a bit different! 

CIE 1957-06 Mallow shed 715 LN149  

An excellent quality photo, showing very clearl;y how the dark grey livery (in which this example is still clad) got dirty and weathered. But look to the right; that's a very interesting wagon! An old two-plank with mismatching extra sides?

On 31/3/2023 at 8:26 AM, Horsetan said:

Whatever became of those "pointer light" subsidiary signals? York Road seems to have been the only place they were ever installed....

I don't know! I think he gave a talk* to the IRRS some years ago on the nitty-gritty of this modernisation scheme, but I do not have his notes (that's if he made any!)....

(.....or, in the curiously antediluvian archaic IRRS-speak, "gave a paper"!)

On 3/4/2023 at 1:40 PM, Branchline121 said:

Never seen a WT with the NIR logo. I assume this was short-lived?

Yes, I think three of them had - in the case of No. 4, on this side ONLY! The other side retained its UTA crest to the end.

Quiz question: anyone know of any other locos (or coaches) running with the logo of one company on one side, and its predecessor on the other? I don't........ though in one of mine and Barry's books there's a diesel with a CIE logo on the end, and an IE "set-of-points" on the side!

On 1/4/2023 at 7:56 AM, Irishswissernie said:

Enniskillen shed June 1957

GNRI 1957-06 Enniskillen 199 & railbus 2 LN146  

There's a story behind the railbus being here. These were not used on the Bundoran branch at this time, as might seem a possibility. Jhb171Senior used this yoke as his personal runabaout when conducting track and bridge inspections in the 1950s, when a spare loco and saloon 50 weren't available. In the case of the latter, he had a set of steps made for it so that when stopped in the middle of mowhere he was able to get up and down via the (open) end gangway..... Railbuses 1 & 2 were used by him for the same purpose. If this is June 1957, the reason this vehicle is parked here is due to a comprehensive survey he had to undertake to advise Amiens St of the likely quantities and quality of materials that would be recovered following closure of so much of the INWR.

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 4
  • Informative 1
  • WOW! 1

What a gift your archive is Ernie. Looks like the 7:20 will be steam tonight - look at coach behind the railbus. Also worth noting SLNC yard trackage here is chaired and not flat bottom as on their ‘main line’. The UTA wagons are an interesting contrast. First one looks like an old NCC pattern with outside W irons  (and NCC section station in background). Lower one, is I think one of the Courtaulds factory coal wagons - the photo is possibly taken at their Carrickfergus sidings.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

11 hours ago, Galteemore said:

What a gift your archive is Ernie. Looks like the 7:20 will be steam tonight - look at coach behind the railbus. Also worth noting SLNC yard trackage here is chaired and not flat bottom as on their ‘main line’.

Hand-me-downs from the GNR, courtesy of jhbSenior, who unofficially gave much assistance to the SLNCR, knowing they had no money. A consignment of ballast for the SLNCR arrived in Enniskillen one time from Goraghwood, following a bad embankment slip somewhere down the "country lane" - which was a description used by Enniskillen PW staff to describe the SLNCR.

I understand that the financial department in Amiens St. was not put to any trouble regarding sales invoices for same to the SLNCR. The track above is ex-GN, from the same source. I doubt very much if Amiens St. were well-appraised of this arrangement either.

11 hours ago, Galteemore said:

Lower one, is I think one of the Courtaulds factory coal wagons - the photo is possibly taken at their Carrickfergus sidings.

Correct.

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

Just noticed the Archive has reached over 56 Million hits since I started it on flickr. If I had received a penny a hit that would have been £560,000 and I could have probably funded a Chinese built ready to run SLNCR 00 scale Lough Erne. Unfortunately I would imagine that if you had to pay a penny to look per image the number of hits would more likely be 5,600!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Funny 4

Thanks, Its been my hobby for 60 + years anyway and money or time doesn't really come into it, Being a true Geordie (born just off Scotswood Road of Blaydon Races fame!) I'm just grateful I didn't get the Newcastle Utd fan bug as I certainly couldn't afford the Season Ticket nor have the huge beer belly to wear an XXXXXXLLLLL Utd shirt and little else😉

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Funny 4

13 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

Just noticed the Archive has reached over 56 Million hits since I started it on flickr. If I had received a penny a hit that would have been £560,000 and I could have probably funded a Chinese built ready to run SLNCR 00 scale Lough Erne. Unfortunately I would imagine that if you had to pay a penny to look per image the number of hits would more likely be 5,600!

This is true.

Deserving as it would be, you’d find Irish enthusiasts inexplicably short of change…..

When I was RPSI commercial officer in the late 70s / early 80s, I worked closely with galteemoreSenior. Upon questioning why, as a railway society, we tended to put more effort into selling teddy bears and plastic Thomas-the-Tank flags, I was told that Irish railway enthusiasts were - to put it mildly - very adept at keeping their wallets SHUT.

In contrast when the May tour came about, on which the vast, vast majority came from Brexitstan, THEY couldn’t wait to empty their wallets towards a good cause.

Manning the bookshop showed this up well. Six Irish enthusiasts would appear, read the new-issue books cover to cover, and when we tried to persuade them to either BUY, or get out of the way and let their English colleagues behind them get a look in, they would fish out a few washers and coins from a neat little wallet, mumble something about the price, or they be back later……and th’oul dog ate their homework. 

Cue Dave from Manchestah behind them. In two minutes he’s scooped up a pile of books, the then equivalent of a couple of hundred euros. He’d pay you, and stick a £20 note in the donations box.

Down the train, raffle time.

1.  British visitors: waving tenners in the air. Don’t care what the prize is - likely to donate it back anyway.

2.  Irish No. 1: leafs through all the book prizes before announcing that he has the book or doesn’t really want it. Buy a ticket? “……eh, I don’t think I’ve any change…”

3.  Irish No. 2 hears you coming and sticks his face to the window, watching a thorn hedge passing by with intense interest.

Don’t believe me? Ask GalteemoreSenior, now raising on-train funds for almost sixty years……

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3

ex GNRI Dundalk Works , withdrawn stock on sidings along the curve leading round to the ex Irish North Western  line to  Barrack Street.

Belfast Docks 24. I'm thinking this might be at the coal sidings on the south east side of the river which were across the 'shaky bridge' I think 24 was permitted to work across the bridge. ca1959

ex D&SER Killiney 462, 22August 1954.

GNRI 1959 ca Dundalk Works (2) GNRI 1959 ca Belfast Docks Feb23Med015 Killiney 462 22 Aug 1954

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • WOW! 2

On 9/4/2023 at 8:09 AM, Irishswissernie said:

If flicker had adds at the side of its page and contributed a certain percentage back to its creator we would be a 00 gauge RTR SLNCR tank engine better off

On 9/4/2023 at 9:18 PM, jhb171achill said:

This is true.

Deserving as it would be, you’d find Irish enthusiasts inexplicably short of change…..

When I was RPSI commercial officer in the late 70s / early 80s, I worked closely with galteemoreSenior. Upon questioning why, as a railway society, we tended to put more effort into selling teddy bears and plastic Thomas-the-Tank flags, I was told that Irish railway enthusiasts were - to put it mildly - very adept at keeping their wallets SHUT.

In contrast when the May tour came about, on which the vast, vast majority came from Brexitstan, THEY couldn’t wait to empty their wallets towards a good cause.

Manning the bookshop showed this up well. Six Irish enthusiasts would appear, read the new-issue books cover to cover, and when we tried to persuade them to either BUY, or get out of the way and let their English colleagues behind them get a look in, they would fish out a few washers and coins from a neat little wallet, mumble something about the price, or they be back later……and th’oul dog ate their homework. 

Cue Dave from Manchestah behind them. In two minutes he’s scooped up a pile of books, the then equivalent of a couple of hundred euros. He’d pay you, and stick a £20 note in the donations box.

Down the train, raffle time.

1.  British visitors: waving tenners in the air. Don’t care what the prize is - likely to donate it back anyway.

2.  Irish No. 1: leafs through all the book prizes before announcing that he has the book or doesn’t really want it. Buy a ticket? “……eh, I don’t think I’ve any change…”

3.  Irish No. 2 hears you coming and sticks his face to the window, watching a thorn hedge passing by with intense interest.

Don’t believe me? Ask GalteemoreSenior, now raising on-train funds for almost sixty years……

I have heard very similar things about Other tour operators. And he’ll even most of the funds for a preserved bandon tank were raised in London rather then Dublin never mind cork! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

If flicker had adds at the side of its page and contributed a certain percentage back to its creator we would be a 00 gauge RTR SLNCR tank engine better off

I have heard very similar things about Other tour operators. And he’ll even most of the funds for a preserved bandon tank were raised in London rather then Dublin never mind cork! 

The Irish Traction Group was established and lead by a group of enthusiasts from Great Britain who were not only prepared to put their money in their pockets to buy the locos, but regularly spend their weekends and spare time volunteering in Ireland not only to restore their own locos, but physically assist Irish based preservation groups with tracklaying and other assistance.

• Like 5
  • Informative 1

5 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

I was 'ripped off' some 25 years ago on this kind of scenario when I had the original Fotopic Collection. I had an arrangement with some USA based company called 'Adsense' who were to pay me some commission if they could advertise on my Albums. they were supposed to pay me when it reached $100. When my sum due was being approached they upped it to $200 and then $500 and then Fotopic went bust! so I never received anything. Fotopic also sold prints from my photos and paid me a cut but again when they folded some £70 odd due went.

Cest la Vie er 'Hard to Bare' is the Geordie equivalent.

Never mind lads! 44 more original slides acquired today, Courtmacsherry, Kilrush, Lismore, Dungarvan feature.

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, Irishswissernie said:

I was 'ripped off' some 25 years ago on this kind of scenario when I had the original Fotopic Collection. I had an arrangement with some USA based company called 'Adsense' who were to pay me some commission if they could advertise on my Albums. they were supposed to pay me when it reached $100. When my sum due was being approached they upped it to $200 and then $500 and then Fotopic went bust! so I never received anything. Fotopic also sold prints from my photos and paid me a cut but again when they folded some £70 odd due went.

Cest la Vie er 'Hard to Bare' is the Geordie equivalent.

Never mind lads! 44 more original slides acquired today, Courtmacsherry, Kilrush, Lismore, Dungarvan feature.

Absolutely fantastic stuff, Ernie. As others have said, it is very greatly appreciated by all here and beyond.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

t012.thumb.jpg.055d312a60a3665114b2a792ef2e1fbe.jpg

Thanks Jim, 

Only one County Donegal Railways image in the latest batch but its a slightly different view of Strabane ca 1959. No doubt you would like a scan for the Museum?

Thanks a rare view of the River Mourne bridge. In Donegal.Town tomorrow working on the next book

19 minutes ago, Irishswissernie said:

CB&SCR Cork Rocksavage 'shed' 26 June 1954.

GNRI Portadown shed T1 187 10 July 1955.

CDRJC Lifford, Erne June 1957.

CBSC 1954-06-26 Cork, Rocksavage 423 470

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a photo of 423 in colour! In 1954 ballyphehane junction and much of the macroom line was still on the ground. There also would have been no deisals. It was sometime that year the AEC railcars were introduced 

• Like 1