Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive

Rate this topic

On 15/12/2022 at 8:12 AM, leslie10646 said:

As I often say, look what's BEHIND the loco! A Turf wagon!

Interesting that despite the fact "There's a war on don't you know!", the GNR appears to have been provided with the resources to build specific purpose wagons such as these (and gypsum wagons) while the GSR was cannibalizing old six-wheeler passenger carriages for the same traffic (turf). I suppose it comes down partially to the fact that by 1944 the GSR had fewer locomotives with any fuel to power a passenger train, while the GNR needed anything that was on wheels to carry passengers, even borrowing GSR carriages at this period. The rules of the Geneva Convention appear to have been VERY loosely interpreted by both governments north, south and across the water.  

• Like 1

Well, of course, there was the little matter that Winnie  put every barrier he could in the road of sending even a shovelful of coal to the (then) Free State. He was miffed that Dev wouldn't allow the use of the former Treaty Ports (given back just before War was declared). That they would have been useful goes without saying, but The Free State was a lot closer to Luftwaffe Bomber bases than bases in Ulster and so the price of "co-operation" was likely to have been heavy.

The Man with the Cigar DID ignore the tens (hundreds) of thousands of Irish who crossed the Irish Sea and more than did their share of ensuring that the Nazi tyranny was ended.  To say nothing of much looking the other way on numerous occasions.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, leslie10646 said:

Well, of course, there was the little matter that Winnie  put every barrier he could in the road of sending even a shovelful of coal to the (then) Free State. He was miffed that Dev wouldn't allow the use of the former Treaty Ports (given back just before War was declared). That they would have been useful goes without saying, but The Free State was a lot closer to Luftwaffe Bomber bases than bases in Ulster and so the price of "co-operation" was likely to have been heavy.

The Man with the Cigar DID ignore the tens (hundreds) of thousands of Irish who crossed the Irish Sea and more than did their share of ensuring that the Nazi tyranny was ended.  To say nothing of much looking the other way on numerous occasions.

I doubt Berehaven would have been the best spot for a British squadron to be posted due to the deep republicanism in the area. Geographically a squadron of sloops, frigates and destroyers operating from there would have been effective in covering the western approaches.

Lough Swilly and Cobh perhaps, but Jellicoe had left the North Sea wide open in the first few months of WW1 running off to Lough Swilly with the entire Grand Fleet while Scapa underwent anti submarine defence improvements. Would have given the High Seas Fleet a good operating window to drive up the channel and blow the pre dreadnought heavy channel fleet out of the water.

(Coincidentally the man famous for advocating for utilisation of geographic chokepoints such as between Scotland and Norway and the Channel, A.T Mahan, died in a very similar time period...perhaps Jellicoe's gaff pushed him over the edge...)

Edited by GSR 800

26 minutes ago, GSR 800 said:

26 minutes ago, GSR 800 said:

(Coincidentally the man famous for advocating for utilisation of geographic chokepoints such as between Scotland and Norway and the Channel, A.T Mahan, died in a very similar time period...perhaps Jellicoe's gaff pushed him over the edge...)

Yes, the running off to watch the Swilly's trains wasn't a very glorious episode, but better that than lose modern battleships.

Don't knock John Jellicoe, his "distant blockade" (Scotland to Norway which you rightly mention) did a lot to help win WW1. Before you bring up Jutland, remember what the New York Times reported a day or two later - 

"The German High Seas Fleet has assaulted its jailer, but is still in Jail!"

We'd better stop this or we'll be banned.

Now, if IRM opted as their next steam offering a 4mm model of HMS Caroline I'd be first in the queue!

• Agree 1

49 minutes ago, leslie10646 said:

The Man with the Cigar DID ignore the tens (hundreds) of thousands of Irish who crossed the Irish Sea and more than did their share of ensuring that the Nazi tyranny was ended. 

A Lancaster bomber was over Berlin ready to drop its bombs. However the aircraft was being the subject of heavy flak.

Rear Gunner to Navigator: "Jeassus Mick, I've never known the flak to be so heavy!"

Navigator to Rear Gunner: "I'm with you Seamus, thank f**k Dev kept us out of this!"   

9 minutes ago, leslie10646 said:

Yes, the running off to watch the Swilly's trains wasn't a very glorious episode, but better that than lose modern battleships.

Don't knock John Jellicoe, his "distant blockade" (Scotland to Norway which you rightly mention) did a lot to help win WW1. Before you bring up Jutland, remember what the New York Times reported a day or two later - 

"The German High Seas Fleet has assaulted its jailer, but is still in Jail!"

We'd better stop this or we'll be banned.

Now, if IRM opted as their next steam offering a 4mm model of HMS Caroline I'd be first in the queue!

Jellicoe gets credit where its due, and that is bottling the HSF, Jutland, comms, etc. He kept the German fleet bottled up, denying the Germans access to the sea which is all that matters. At Jutland he performed some of the best coordination ever seen in battle, managing to cross the German T in a perfect firing arc. The problem with his run off to Swilly is the loss of a battleship or two is one thing, possibly allowing the Germans to win the race to the sea is quite another, he opened the bottle he had corked, he was just lucky the HSF didnt notice. And he lost a battleship because he moved to Swilly.

My biggest critique is his steadfast opposition to convoys, which were the most effective means of countering the uboats. Eyeing the HSF from across the sea seemed to give him tunnel vision, Britain was in pretty dire straits supply wise when the US joined, as Admiral Sims found to his horror..

To keep this somewhat on topic, and on brand for myself, I always thought had Ireland joined the war the 800s would've gotten some proper mileage in and with better coal. the GNRI V class were beat by the end of the war!

Another thing, I've always wondered what the performance of the oil burners during and after the war wars like.

4 minutes ago, GSR 800 said:

To keep this somewhat on topic, and on brand for myself, I always thought had Ireland joined the war the 800s would've gotten some proper mileage in and with better coal. the GNRI V class were beat by the end of the war!

Yes I agree. This website is about discussing Irish Railways and the modelling of them. It is not about WW1 British Naval history, The M 96 or the military history of Lambeg Man and Galteemore. Can contributors please stay on topic. Thank you... LM 

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

On 22/12/2022 at 8:58 AM, Irishswissernie said:

Back to Amiens St unid 4-4-2t + Van B431? 28 June 1959.

Very rare! Thanks for posting Ernie. The van is GNR Departmental no. 8431 which was fitting with vacuum cleaning equipment. It was a conversion from a 'W 4' Full Brake van built circa 1881. It seems to have spent the 1950's against the buffer stops of one of centre roads (no platforms) at Amiens Street when the centre roads were used for servicing Railcars prior to the construction of Fairview. It appears it may be on its way to Dundalk where it appears in a photo of withdrawn stock in your "GNR" album in your online collection. 

Edited by Lambeg man
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 17/12/2022 at 8:37 AM, Irishswissernie said:

Tramore station 3 November 1960, 3 views.

W&T 1960-11-03 Tramore (3) W&T 1960-11-03 Tramore W&T 1960-11-03 Tramore (2)

Always thought that the exteriors of the two stations on that line looked way more impressive than the interiors! The platform side at Waterford (Manor) was a proper eyesore..........

On 22/12/2022 at 8:58 AM, Irishswissernie said:

Back to Amiens St unid 4-4-2t + Van B431? 28 June 1959.

GNRI 1959-06-28 Dublin Amiens St (3)

That van is a purpose-built breakdown van, probably dating from some time 1895-1905. (Brown, for modellers!)

• Like 1

On 17/12/2022 at 12:02 PM, Lambeg man said:

Interesting that despite the fact "There's a war on don't you know!", the GNR appears to have been provided with the resources to build specific purpose wagons such as these (and gypsum wagons) while the GSR was cannibalizing old six-wheeler passenger carriages for the same traffic (turf). I suppose it comes down partially to the fact that by 1944 the GSR had fewer locomotives with any fuel to power a passenger train, while the GNR needed anything that was on wheels to carry passengers, even borrowing GSR carriages at this period. The rules of the Geneva Convention appear to have been VERY loosely interpreted by both governments north, south and across the water.  

The railways in Northern Ireland were geared up to meet the demands of a War economy, while the GSR was mainly geared up towards moving exports people and food to the Cross Channel Ports.

I don't know if applied to the GNR, before the War Stormont subsidized railways on a £ for £ basis on loss making cross-border rail services, the payments continued on a £ for £ basis (based on net income)  during the War although the railways were now profitable.

The retained profits allowed the CDJR to continue operating to 1959 and helped keep the SLNCR buy Railcar B after the War

May have helped the GNR go shopping for new steam locos and diesel railcars after the War.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 2

A mixed bag today, I have about 500 Irish views scanned but not titled up and am scanning some 5000 Scottish and Northern England negatives and slides. 

A Graham Roose slide of 082 on an up train near Collooney 8 May 2005.

Attymon Junction with the branch train ca 1958. Note the box of Rinso on the platform! It is possibly the photographers  luggage, spent on his money on film and couldn't afford a suitcase/holdall. I didn't have a suitcase then either but then I was still in short trousers and at Primary School!

Finally an original GNRI sign amended by the UTA at Portadown. October 1963. Shame its not in focus but then slide film speed in those days wasn't up to catching fast moving subjects 😉

Collooney locality 2005-05-08 082 18.15 Sligo-Dublin G Roose (4) z130 CIE 1958-1959 ca Attymon Junction UTA 1963-10-xx Portadown. WT + ex GNRI Trespass sign.

• Like 10

On 25/12/2022 at 9:26 PM, Irishswissernie said:

No 8 train includes a long cut of container wagons used for carrying Cross-Border Guinness traffic from the late 50s to mid-60s. The containers (grey with blue Guinness lettering) were introduced before the break up of the GNR in the late 50s, usually loaded 3 containers per wagon. The containers were originally staggered on GNR container wagons until replaced by longer CIE wagons during the early 60s.

871345217_GuinnessContainerWagons.jpg.34a472575e716481af07ca5ead630260.jpg

The Dapol/Airfix Prestwin chassis would be close enough for a OO gauge model of the CIE 12t 20' flats used with these containers and general container traffic on the North Wall-Waterside derry Vacuum Ireland 1st Liner Train

Provincial Wagons produced, a flat wagon with two of these containers.

• Like 5
  • Informative 1

19 minutes ago, Irishswissernie said:

I have finally acquired some 70 Irish original slides; all June 1957. Yes Jim there are some Donegal views!

Cork Albert Quay.

Cavan & Leitrim, Ballinamore, Arigna branch coach.

SL&NCR Manorhamilton, Lough Melvin.

CB&SC 1957-06 Cork Albert Quay LN148  

That Albert Quay one is just gorgeous. 

• Like 1