Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive

Rate this topic

The top photo is at one end of Old Mill Bay, I think it's the Magheramorne end with a loaded train.

If I've compared photos correctly, this is the rear engine and he's not exerting himself! The photographer seems to be standing on the East side of the line. The line was crossed by the electricity lines from Ballylumford Power Station. One of the giant pylons is clearly visible in your photo. Lance King took a lot of shots in this area (from the West side, which seems to have given him better light), but while he had the signal in the photo and the actual wires, he managed to keep the pylon out of the shot!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

3 'Posers' for you today. They are all 12/13 April 1968 and the spoil train and probably the railcar are on the Larne line. The station is probably in that area too. Locations anyone?

NIR 1968-04-12 Spoil train where.jpg

NIR 1968-04-13 Poss on or near Larne line.jpg

NIR 1968-04-13 where prob Larne Line.jpg

The middle photo here is Fahan on the Lough Swilly, quite a bit west of Ballycarry!  The photographer is standing on the former trackbed and behind is a stone overbridge.  The station building is now a pub/restaurant.

• Like 2

On 19/9/2022 at 8:09 AM, Irishswissernie said:

West Clare Rly, 3 November 1960, Ennis F503 on a wet day, note the cattle wagon at the head of the train....

West Clare 1960-11-03 Ennis  

That's quite a mixed train - there are three railcar trailers forming the passenger section, and then another van and cattle wagon behind those.

Note also the platform lattice signal post which has long been reused to carry telegraph/telephone cables.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Horsetan said:

Note also the platform lattice signal post which has long been reused to carry telegraph/telephone cables.

I think they are electric wires going to the signal lamps, instead of having oil.

On 27/9/2022 at 9:56 AM, Irishswissernie said:

Inchicore 130 ends its days somewhat 'butchered' early 1960's.

A couple on the Cavan & Leitrim CA1952 , Cattle wagon 142L at Ballinamore and a poor neg of Belturbet transhipment sidings and shed.

CIE 1962-xx-CA Inchicore 130 stationary boiler  

That looks like B234 in the background. If so, it's late-60's rather than early?

• Like 1

Working through some more closed station views today. These 5 are all ex Cavan & Leitrim Railway 19 April 1968.

First one Ballinamore; this had me puzzled for a while as post closure the owner had moved a door and also bricked in the glazed area. All to no avail as I think this may now under the bypass.

Next Drumshanbo where the bypass now runs along the trackbed but most of the buildings including the water tower are still there. The washing line however is probably another 'fatality'. 

Next is a former road crossing, I think this is on the Arigna Extension as there are gate posts on the railway. Probably the R285 road and the cottage is buried in the undergrowth on Google Earth. EDIT The cottage is Arigna station with the extension to the mines crossing the road; thanks Andy!

The last two are Dromod and I think Kiltubrid.

C&L 1968-04-19 Ballinamore station building, note the alterations. Since demolished

C&L 1968-04-19 Drumshanbo C&L 1968-04-19 R285 Road Xing on Arigna Extension Rly (I think) C&L 1968-04-19 Dromod C&L 1968-04-19 Kiltubrid

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

Probably around 1964-5, there are no dates (nor any other info) with this batch of negatives. 

Barry Carse's Metrovick book has C234 becoming B234 in December 1965, so I'd go for 1966. J15 130 was one of the last steam locos on CIE's books, only OFFICIALLY withdrawn in 1965, though no steam locos at all operated* after March 1963, including 130.

(*Other than as stationary boilers).

1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

Barry Carse's Metrovick book has C234 becoming B234 in December 1965, so I'd go for 1966. J15 130 was one of the last steam locos on CIE's books, only OFFICIALLY withdrawn in 1965, though no steam locos at all operated* after March 1963, including 130.

(*Other than as stationary boilers).

What were stationary boilers supposed to do?

10 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

Any idea what the last locomotive used as a stationary boiler was? I recall 463 and 464 were used as stationary boilers at the time. We’re J-15s and such used for that purpose? 

Someone will know the exact number, but I'm pretty certain I've read of a J15 being used as a stationary boiler in Cork after steam had officially ended.

Rowledge lists a number of 0-6-0s as being in CIE stock until 1965, some of which may have been boilers. Generally speaking, I suspect that there would have been little demand for such things post-steam : the stationary boiler was largely an adjunct to steam operations, facilitating such matters as boiler washouts, tube cleaning etc. 

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 3