Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, StevieB said:

Weren’t there plans to use it on the Loughrea branch?

Stephen

This was one vague idea, it seems- but I don't think it was a serious proposal. The idea of diesel-hauled mixed trains was already established by then and the flexibility this allowed tended to trump any thoughts of a separate passenger train - plus there would be no spare parts for it in Galway or Athlone, and possibly less knowledge amongst fitters. They seem to have put a railcar idea to bed for good with a trial of the Sligo railcar on that branch in 1959.

In a modelling sense, I always thought that a single-unit railcar, in a CIE, UTA or even NIR world, would have made an ideal subject for a very small shunting terminus layout. The Sligo car, or one of these, or even for modern-image, one of the 2750s, would be perfect.

Edited by jhb171achill

On 15/9/2022 at 11:00 AM, Irishswissernie said:

Not quite railway but one does have CIE on the barge or barge contents. These 2 were with a batch of freebies with no location details but the date was 28 October 1966. They were with a batch of Irish railway negs and these 2 are of an Irish canal the giveaway on the footbridge photo being the usual tall TV aerials on the flats to the left. Ideas anyone?

1966-10-28 Dublin Canal (1).jpg

1966-10-28 Dublin Canal (2).jpg

I remember the barges and the workshops. My aunt lived in Fatima Mansions so I spent time there. I remember the barge repair area well. It was possible to spend time with the kids I new from Fatima Mansions at the canal, the barge sheds then nip down to catch the Guinness express going between various parts of the St James's Gate complex not far from Pimlico. We were easily amused but I have fond memories of the time and the place.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Galteemore said:

Lovely portrait of Jeep. This may have been the last - or one of the last - steam services from Belfast-Dublin. 

This was a UTA organised 'Steam Special' to Dublin to mark the withdrawal of (official) steam working. Subsequent steam specials which ran between Belfast and Dublin were organised by the RPSI.  

Edited by Lambeg man
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Irishswissernie said:

Dublin, Broadstone shed J15 143, 23 Oct 1960....

CIE  Dublin, Broadstone J15 143, 1960-10-23 GT Robinson 

Was 143 scrapped at Broadstone? Rods have been removed, along with buffing gear and coupling. Tender axlebox covers missing, so it looks as though it was being used as a convenient parts donor.

Cut-off at the left edge of the photo is the unmistakable shape of a Woolwich Mogul, but which one was hanging around at Broadstone in October 1960?

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 1

County Donegal Railways today, I have uploaded 6 as I seem to have a few in the pipeline to go on.

Stranorlar 21 April 1953.

Van 19,

Trailer 3.

Railcar 12.

Meenglas on shed.

Strabane  23 August 1954.

Railcar 18.

Trailer 3. 

I have also put a couple of 8 minute Swiss Video segments from October 2003 take adjacent to Hardbrucke station which is on the approach to Zurich Main station

The action was non stop with fly shunting, mail , infrastructure and freight trains well in evidence as well as numerous passenger services.. I have added 2 links to the segments.

Click on the black picture and it will play.

CDRJC 1953-04-21 Stranorlar Van19 HCC78492 CDRJC 1953-04-21 Stranorlar Trailer 3 ex Drewry Carex D&BST HCC78497 CDRJC 1953-04-21 Stranorlar Railcar 12 12.17 to Killybegs HCC78499 CDRJC 1953-04-21 Stranorlar 4 'Meenglas' HCC78496a CDRJC 1954-08-23 Strabane Railbus 18 on 11.20 to Letterkenny CDRJC 1954-08-23 Strabane Trailer 3

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

I have also put a couple of 8 minute Swiss Video segments from October 2003 take adjacent to Hardbrucke station which is on the approach to Zurich Main station

The action was non stop with fly shunting, mail , infrastructure and freight trains well in evidence as well as numerous passenger services.. I have added 2 links to the segments.

Click on the black picture and it will play.

Hardbrucke / Hardplatz is familiar to me as I stayed at a hotel there in 2006. Quite a lot of Turkish-run eateries near the bridge.

Really enjoy this thread, an outstanding collection of the history of our railways, there is something to suit everyone in this collection of photos including myself as I grew up watching the spoil trains around Greencastle, then got a school trip to York road depot around 1970, moved to Tralee around 1983, oh to have the sense to have a 📷 to record one's own history as well with all the railway changes.  Thank you Ernie so much.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

This negative arrived yesterday and after scanning turns out to be Glenties  on the CDRJC after closure but before track lifting. I have guesstimated the date as CA 1952 but maybe up to couple of years earlier. Not many images around of the Glenties branch, its early closure and no doubt the pull of Barnesmore Gap, Donegal, Killybegs and Ballyshannon and their more frequent service attracted the photographers.

CDRJC 1952-xxCA Glenties station

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 7
  • WOW! 1

6 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

This negative arrived yesterday and after scanning turns out to be Glenties  on the CDRJC after closure but before track lifting. I have guesstimated the date as CA 1952 but maybe up to couple of years earlier. Not many images around of the Glenties branch, its early closure and no doubt the pull of Barnesmore Gap, Donegal, Killybegs and Ballyshannon and their more frequent service attracted the photographers.

CDRJC 1952-xxCA Glenties station

The last regular use of the branch was in 1948. Track lifting hasn't started here, but would have done by 1955 because that's when the girder bridge at Stranorlar was dismantled by Hammond Lane Metal Co.

Incidentally, Hammond Lane feature so heavily in the records of scrapping railway infrastructure and equipment that I wonder if there was anything that they weren’t involved in cutting-up one way or another.

Don’t have the Cassells book to hand but I suspect the Jeeps are stored and not withdrawn. This pic predates both the summer excursion season and of course the spoil work going at full blast, which effectively rescued the WTs from early oblivion (the oldest was only 18 years in ‘67). No Jeep was withdrawn until 1968, and at least one of the locos pictured was in service until 1970. The last three Jeeps were actually on NIR books until 1971 - 4, obviously enough, and 51/53. At the time this photo was taken in 67, some ex GN locos also remained on the books - including an SG3 and two UGs.

Edited by Galteemore
  • Informative 1