Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

......Strabane 63 shunts the yard 2 July 1959.

GNRI 1959-07-02 Strabane  63 shunting goods yard

Is that 63? That engine looks very S/S2 class to me, and there's a trace of a nameplate on the leading splasher.

Looking at the shape of the cabside numerals, I'd say that's a "1" in front. The second numeral is rounded, which I guess to be a "9", and so is the third numeral. That makes the engine S2, either 190 or 192. I'd say it's more 192, so Slievenamon.

I know the UTA renumbered this one 63 in its list, but the cabside (and indeed the whole engine) suggests this hadn't been repainted at the time of the photo.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 2

A odd one that ,a picture of it appears in Narrow Gauge Rolling Stock page 64.Its on a Donegal chassis but fitted with a link and pin coupling.none of the books/articles on Donegal stock mention it,but thats the fourth photo i've seen of it,the others are at Strabane,,Stranorlar and Killybegs so she got about a bit,theres no trace of a number in the photo but a small  DR in the middle of the door.Andy.

On 7/8/2022 at 9:51 AM, Irishswissernie said:

Dublin Connolly 23 July 1990 186.

Londonderry & Lough Swilly, 12 and 5 outside Letterkenny shed ca 1952, again a poor neg with faults and slightly out of focus in parts!

IR 1990-07-23 Connolly 186 zz099 L&LSR 1952-CA Letterkenny 12 OOU  & 15 on left.

By that 12 had been out of use for a few years and 5 was rarely used as it was too large for the daily Letterkenny goofs train 

On 1/8/2022 at 9:47 AM, Irishswissernie said:

County Donegal Railways Railcars.

21 April 1953 Railcar 10 at Stranorlar, HC Casserley.

April 1946 Railcar 18 at Strabane, JG Dewing.

CDRJC 1953-04-21 Stranorlar Railcar 10 HCC78491a CDRJC 1946-04-xx Railcar 18 JG Dewing016

And there's that elusive Clogher Valley van again, behind it!

On 1/8/2022 at 12:53 PM, Andy Cundick said:

A odd one that ,a picture of it appears in Narrow Gauge Rolling Stock page 64.Its on a Donegal chassis but fitted with a link and pin coupling.none of the books/articles on Donegal stock mention it,but thats the fourth photo i've seen of it,the others are at Strabane,,Stranorlar and Killybegs so she got about a bit,theres no trace of a number in the photo but a small  DR in the middle of the door.Andy.

I think that's the number rather than "DR" - I believe it was No. 14.

19 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

And there's that elusive Clogher Valley van again, behind it!

I think that's the number rather than "DR" - I believe it was No. 14.

Nope its definitely DR (Narrow Gauge Rolling Stock Page 64) ,not sure about the number as it certainly isn't Red Van 14 as theres numerous photos of it.Possibly it took the number of the donor chassis as 290 did with a CVR convertible van    (Narrow Gauge Rolling Stock Page 77).Andy.

7 hours ago, Andy Cundick said:

Nope its definitely DR (Narrow Gauge Rolling Stock Page 64) ,not sure about the number as it certainly isn't Red Van 14 as theres numerous photos of it.Possibly it took the number of the donor chassis as 290 did with a CVR convertible van    (Narrow Gauge Rolling Stock Page 77).Andy.

Maybe we’re talking about two different things…. the one I meant was a CVR passenger van which apparently remained in its original deep maroon livery with no markings other than a “14” on the door…..

In the 1946 pic at Strabane with railcar 18…..

17 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Maybe we’re talking about two different things…. the one I meant was a CVR passenger van which apparently remained in its original deep maroon livery with no markings other than a “14” on the door…..

In the 1946 pic at Strabane with railcar 18…..

Same vehicle the photo also at Strabane was taken in 1947 the only visible lettering on the van is a DR on the centre moulding on the door,though there is a small board up by the eaves on the  right hand side with some indecipherable lettering on it.The caption states that its 14 which is quite posssible as the donor chassis is certainly one of the original WDR chassis judging from the grease axleboxes and brake gear so the CVR van inherited the original number makes sense though the link and pin coupling is just weird.Andy.

5 minutes ago, Andy Cundick said:

Same vehicle the photo also at Strabane was taken in 1947 the only visible lettering on the van is a DR on the centre moulding on the door,though there is a small board up by the eaves on the  right hand side with some indecipherable lettering on it.The caption states that its 14 which is quite posssible as the donor chassis is certainly one of the original WDR chassis judging from the grease axleboxes and brake gear so the CVR van inherited the original number makes sense though the link and pin coupling is just weird.Andy.

I'm intrigued now, Andy! Must fish out my dad's  pic of it............