Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, GSR 800 said:

Attached to a Mogul, by the looks of it 

Dublin, Amiens St. GNRI 174 June 1961 img310

I think one of the Tom Ferris 'Irish Railways in Colour' books has a picture of the mogul itself in front of the S Class. 

5 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

18 March 1963, a view from a train running alongside the Grand Canal.

4 June 1961 174 at Connolly.

CIE  1963-03-18 Running alongside the Royal Canal) CIE 1961-06-04 Dublin Amiens St 174

Interesting that the mogul tender is actually in green livery but you'd never tell at a casual glance! 

Edited by Niles
  • Like 3

Ye Gods, Ernie! Did we bid AGAINST each other for the Casserleys?

I thought that The Syndicate had bought all the non narrow gauge pre WW2 negatives!

Thanks for putting up the John Dewing shot - not a commonly photographed place AND that stock! John cycled a lot, so it's probably really in the sticks!

Hope that you are as well as can be!

• Like 1

On 23/6/2022 at 1:27 PM, Irishswissernie said:

No, I don't think so, the NCC negs were in Lot 122 which also had Lough Swilly  & GNRI  negs which I was after and mentioned prior to the Auction; Hammer Price £140.

Phew, that's a relief!

Keeping on a DSER theme - I really meant this for "Barrow Street", but folk can see it here.

Lance King captured Grand Canal Street sidings from the Boat Train on 5 June 1964 - a treat for BnT A Class lovers? Copyright IRRS.

134853157_IF06GrandCanalStShedA7A49copy.thumb.jpeg.aa67dadefd67756bb5660c789804f054.jpeg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Westcorkrailway said:

Look at the way the snail is put on those coaches….was that done to save painting the whole coach?

No. The coaches had corrugated sides, upon which it would have been impossible to display it properly, so they mounted them on boards and screwed them in, as the GSR had done before that with their crests mounted also on boards. Note, too, that the base colour is the darker green but no lining at all - that was the norm on the West Clare.

1 hour ago, Westcorkrailway said:

Look at the way the snail is put on those coaches….was that done to save painting the whole coach?

The livery on the rest of the coach (s) apart from a small square containing the snail looks freshly done, maybe they just left a square around the snail because they didn't have any snail paint left!😉

As jhb has pointed out the snails are on a small board covering the match boarding.

West Clare 1956-08-28 Kilrush 3rd saloon

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 5

30 minutes ago, airfixfan said:

There is a great article on Cork Albert Quay by Des Coakham in December 2004 Railway Bylines

Is it available online somewhere?

12 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

Cork Albert Quay 12 Sept 1960.

CIE 1960-09-12 Cork  Albert Quay 2660 DT16-29  

Those bulleid Railcars looked so industrial and square, some would even say ugly 

Or as he himself would say “another successful design”

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

Is it available online somewhere?

Those bulleid Railcars looked so industrial and square, some would even say ugly 

Or as he himself would say “another successful design”

I think they're quaint - something quite Irish about them. Wonder if we'll ever see them in model form.

Pleased you did John I was just going to order a back number until I saw the cover, I have it I think, its in the loft er somewhere.

Back to business todays uploads which I don't think are already on flickr.

Belfast, Adelaide 202 5 May 1959 

&  ex NCC W 91 same date both JG Dewing.

GNRI 1959-05-05 Adelaide 202 Louth JGD590906 GNRI 1959-05-05 Adelaide NCC91 The Bush JGD590903

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 6

7 minutes ago, airfixfan said:

Found that magazine this morning.

20220629_131833.jpg

I may look through the internet for one 

2 hours ago, minister_for_hardship said:

I've seen way worse, they did the job they were designed to do.

When we’re these withdrawn? We’re they turned into intermediate power cars or did the reach another fate. I cannot recall seeing one in the Black and Tan livery