Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive

Rate this topic

5 minutes ago, connollystn said:

Great pics @irishswissernie, I didn't realise that GNR(I) had the MaK diesel locomotive as far back as 1955. Makes me wonder why they waited until the early 70s to get diesel traction for mainline passenger services.

Quite a feat considering it went bust and was divided between CIE and the UTA in 1958. :D

A fair share of the GNR's passenger services, including the 'Enterprise', were operated by AEC and BUT diesel railcar sets in its latter years.

24 minutes ago, connollystn said:

Great pics @irishswissernie, I didn't realise that GNR(I) had the MaK diesel locomotive as far back as 1955. Makes me wonder why they waited until the early 70s to get diesel traction for mainline passenger services.

As said, focus was on railcars from the early. The north went so far as to have MPDs pulling freight! 

That is not to see the GNR wasn't looking towards diesels and even electrification, they had quite extensive plans for such but the funds did not allow it. I believe New Irish Lines had something on it, will have to dig it up. The MAK was a glimpse of these plans for diesel freight locomotives.

• Informative 1

On 18/7/2022 at 10:39 AM, Irishswissernie said:

8 June 1961 Banagher branch, Bord na Mona Xing.2 views of the Special at Banagher same day.

Hi Ernie,

This was where J. Edgington took the large group picture of the whole tour party. See the RPSI website for more.

4 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

Dundalk station VS 206 on a Dublin bound service. CA 1955-7

The first carriage is a 'C 2' All-First in "1953 Royal Train" livery, blue/cream sides, black ends.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I particularly was amused by the photo at Portrush - the loco appears to be starting, as the drain cocks are open and there seems to be steam around the chimney - but there is a gange right in front of the engine, so obviously not.

The pose of the foreman ganger is priceless!

1 hour ago, Irishswissernie said:

Inchicore June 1961, J15B 711 appears to be in steam but as a stationary boiler. There are some kind of pipe connections near the cab and tender. The bicycle looks in better nick!....

CIE 1961-06-xx Inchicore J15B 711 'stationary boiler' 

Yes, that does look like stationary boiler service - the engine is well hemmed-in against the stop block and clearly isn't going anywhere. There aren't any other markings on it, so did 711 survive to the end in 1963 or was it withdrawn from service before that?

I'd have thought they would take the steam supply from the dome rather than a pipe from the drawbar area, but maybe Inchicore did things differently.

1 hour ago, Andy Cundick said:

Judging from the plumbing it looks like an injector has been rigged up,by the tender,Andy.

According to W (Bill) McDonnell in a "Decade of Steam" the J15b  710 Class had a reputation of poor steaming and the injectors gave trouble if the small GSWR tenders, probable reason for placing the injectors in an accessible place!

Edited by Mayner

On 27/3/2022 at 8:23 AM, Irishswissernie said:

Cork Glanmire Road .....

802 looking somewhat forlorn 14 January 1961.....

CIE 1961-01-14 Cork Glanmire Road 802 

Slight problem with either the date or the engine.

802 Tailte was withdrawn in 1955 and was supposed to have been cut-up by 1957 (only her tender still existed, and Bulleid reportedly wanted it for his turf-burning experiments). If this is correct, the engine in the photo either cannot be 802, or the given date of Jan. 1961 is wrong.

If it's 1961, my guess is that it's more likely to be 801 Macha which did linger around for a while after withdrawal.

It may not be 800 Maedb, since the few photos of her from that period (and after) show her looking relatively unweathered, and anyway she was not withdrawn until 1961 - although after that she was missing her plates and the cab windows prior to being set aside for preservation -

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Billycan said:

Still hopeful of someday knowing if the sister loco at Broadstone had a similar name.

Well Sambo was a one off as far as I know, but there were shunters like the MGWR P's kicking around broadstone?

Not sure if any kept their names into CIE years

• Thanks 1

On 23/7/2022 at 12:43 PM, GSR 800 said:

Well Sambo was a one off as far as I know, but there were shunters like the MGWR P's kicking around broadstone?

Not sure if any kept their names into CIE years

"Negro" and "Sambo", un-PC as they are today, kept their names. These shunted in Waterford and Inchicore. There was the unofficial "Pat" at the coaling stage in Cork, and both "Argadeen" and "St Molaga" kept their names until withdrawal.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

"Negro" and "Sambo", un-PC as they are today, kept their names. These shunted in Waterford and Inchicore. There was the unofficial "Pat" at the coaling stage in Cork, and both "Argadeen" and "St Molaga" kept their names until withdrawal.

Indeed, but I've never heard of a single named shunter loco for Broadstone as billycan suggests.

Theres also Jumbo, but I've mentioned that before.

• Thanks 1

On 22/7/2022 at 2:57 PM, Horsetan said:

Slight problem with either the date or the engine.

802 Tailte was withdrawn in 1955 and was supposed to have been cut-up by 1957 (only her tender still existed, and Bulleid reportedly wanted it for his turf-burning experiments). If this is correct, the engine in the photo either cannot be 802, or the given date of Jan. 1961 is wrong.

If it's 1961, my guess is that it's more likely to be 801 Macha which did linger around for a while after withdrawal.

It may not be 800 Maedb, since the few photos of her from that period (and after) show her looking relatively unweathered, and anyway she was not withdrawn until 1961 - although after that she was missing her plates and the cab windows prior to being set aside for preservation -

Was Maedb not withdrawn earlier than that? She was sitting in Thurles stored in 1960. 

The timeline seems quite muddled after that, pictures often having wrong timestamps. The IRRS has a picture dated 1964 of Maedb and Macha tender to tender in Inchicore, both intact. Theres another picture dated 1962-3 with Macha cut down to the frames! Another has her boiler and firebox on an old tender chassis dated feb 1963

The locomotive in the photo is almost certainly Macha

Interestingly here's a photo of one of the tenders at Inchicore, supposedly in 1959..

https://thetransportlibrary.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=204476&search=CIE+Coras+Iompair+Eireann&page=4

7 hours ago, GSR 800 said:

That's likely to be Tailte's tender if the date is correct. The engine portion was long gone, but the tender did hang around for quite a long time after.