Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, StevieB said:

Tell us more about the Courtmacsherry heritage railway.

Stephen

I’m not a lecturer in the subject. But at some stage in the 1980s there were plans to build a heritage railway between Courtmacsherry and Timoleague. It made sense as even today, the trackbed between the two villages and Courtmacsherry station is very much in tact…. There is even preserved suitible motor power to run it! I remember it had very serious investment but was blocked planning permission or something like that. It would have had a level crossing and of course…there is the near constant pedestrian level crossing at courtmacsherry that possibly would have been H&S issue. Not to mention the line is unprotected from the road …..a bit like Wexford but longer.

if such a thing came to pass…it would be the slowest commute ever! With the H&S all over it. It would however be one of the largest tourism draws in that region. It would probobly suffer from a lack of space at timoleague! 

I’ll fetch my book and read up on it with some more info.

There's a signal already in place but unlikely to be from when the line was in operation😉

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6409222,-8.7606741,3a,75y,57.13h,73.55t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sBw8bxi7Bvv1rKws-0E8LFQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Just need to win the Euro Lottery to finance the job.

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Irishswissernie said:

There's a signal already in place but unlikely to be from when the line was in operation😉

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6409222,-8.7606741,3a,75y,57.13h,73.55t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sBw8bxi7Bvv1rKws-0E8LFQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Just need to win the Euro Lottery to finance the job.

Unfortunately not an original signal no…

The history of West Cork Railway Heritage Railways 

1962:An operation going from Togher (outside Cork city) to Waterfall, the first stop on the line. Another plan the same year for  railway museum at Rocksavage didn’t pass 

1965: an attempt was made to buy Waterfall station but failed. Station is demolished afterwards 

1984: Cork railway restoration society is formed. Attempted to build on land which they owned but a water main caused problems. Funding for this project witch initially seemed likely was rejected 

1986: West Cork Heritage launches the Courtmacsherry-timoleague tramway idea. It was a praiseworthy project but it never got the £250,000 it needed to succeed.

1990: CRRS attempt to buy Farrangalway station but are outbid.

1991: CRRS attempt to lease Albert quay shed but are rejected in there proposal. Also proposed to celebrate the centenary of the T&C line. A short stretch of track was to be temporarily Laid with number 90 going up and down it. While Irish Rail and the ESB were happy to help. There was an issue securing number 90 from Westrail at the time. 

1994: the Park royals land in Clonakilty and the Ruston locomotive also ends up there at some stage. 

Also imporant to not that Halfway vintage club is also set up at some time during this history. While not build on West Cork Trackbed, it is in the shadow of it. It was just a short line that went up and down a short stretch. And I think all the stock belonged to the famous GSRPS. Since 2018/2019 the trackbed had been removed and the rolling stock has gone. The Ruston locomotive and the Bulleid wagon have turned up in Inchicore on open day. Hopefully off to Maam cross once restored. As for the GSR coach and 30 tonne brakevan. They could be scrapped or hidden from the public. I’m not sure on that detail either 

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

A couple more from the Courtmacsherry area as 552 trips a few more wagons of beet to Ballinascarthy 5 November 1960. Several trips of 3 to 5 wagons +Brake Van appear to have been tripped in the beet season each day to Ballinascarthy where a C Class Diesel then took the assembled wagons to Cork. 552 spent the night at Clonakilty shed.

CBSC 1960-11-05 Courtmacsherry 552 (3) CBSC 1960-11-05 Courtmacsherry 552 (1)

• Like 12

Not quite railway but one does have CIE on the barge or barge contents. These 2 were with a batch of freebies with no location details but the date was 28 October 1966. They were with a batch of Irish railway negs and these 2 are of an Irish canal the giveaway on the footbridge photo being the usual tall TV aerials on the flats to the left. Ideas anyone?

1966-10-28 Dublin Canal (1).jpg

1966-10-28 Dublin Canal (2).jpg

• Like 4

Top photo is the Iron Bridge, St James's Walk at Mallin Avenue with Rialto Bridge in the far distance.  Buildings on left are the old Fatima buildings now demolished and replaced by new apartments.  The canal is now the Luas track.

Lower photo looks like the canal harbour at the corner of Long's Place all now redeveloped too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

@Billycan - Would never have known that was the iron bridge which spanned the Grand canal near the harbour. I used to hear people talking about it in the Harbour Bar [Harkin's] when they were describing what the area around James's walk was like years ago. The 'infamous' Fatima Mansions would have been on the left of that bridge, hence, the name of the Luas stop. Heard many an interesting tail when I drank in the Harbour Bar (formerly known as the 'Harbour Light').

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Billycan said:

Top photo is the Iron Bridge, St James's Walk at Mallin Avenue with Rialto Bridge in the far distance.  Buildings on left are the old Fatima buildings now demolished and replaced by new apartments.  The canal is now the Luas track.

Lower photo looks like the canal harbour at the corner of Long's Place all now redeveloped too.

The City Basin site seems to have an army of builders at it currently. I do hope they don't destroy the lovely warehouses.

10 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

Not quite railway but one does have CIE on the barge or barge contents. These 2 were with a batch of freebies with no location details but the date was 28 October 1966. They were with a batch of Irish railway negs and these 2 are of an Irish canal the giveaway on the footbridge photo being the usual tall TV aerials on the flats to the left. Ideas anyone?

1966-10-28 Dublin Canal (1).jpg

1966-10-28 Dublin Canal (2).jpg

Those would be CIE barges retained after normal trading ceased in 1960, for maintenance purposes. I remember seeing one of them at Baggot St Bridge years ago.

2 hours ago, Galteemore said:

es, very distinctive. I’d say this was the Thursday tourist train which was 207’s regular diagram - but 29 May 64 was a Friday…..

I don't think this the 'Tourist' train. Other photo's show the 'Tourist' was only 5 or 6 carriages (including the Kitchen Car which was always in the middle of the set), while in this photo there are 8 carriages and the Kitchen Car is at the front. Behind the Kitchen Car there are 3 x K 15 open Seconds followed by a much older wooden paneled coach, then another 3 or maybe 4 carriages. As to why this Special was running on that date, I have no idea. I don't think it could be Rugby related at that time of year. Perhaps some Roman Catholic event in Dublin?   

• Like 1

A couple more L&LSR views.

Manorcunningham station 20 April 1953 HC Casserley.

The north end of Letterkenny taken from up a signal ca1952. I have acquired a number of negatives taken by this photographer; interesting images but unfortunately with a somewhat faulty camera which has the image properly focussed  on the right hand side of the negative only.

L&LSR 1953-04-20 Manorcunningham HCC 78452 L&LSR 1952-xxCA Letterkenny

• Like 7