Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive

Rate this topic

On 12/11/2022 at 6:21 AM, popeye said:

Interesting signal cabin at Dromod with the chimney at the front.

I'm sure there was others like that.

Quite common, MGWR standard design to replace cabins destroyed as a result of the Civil War. "Rock faced" concrete block base, internal staircase and frame placed at the rear of the  cabin.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

Love those photos of Warrenpoint, Ernie. Brings back memories of Sunday School Trips, walking from our home in Gilford to Tanderagee Station to get train to Warrenpoint. Tea and a buns on arrival. Warrenpoint was one option I considered when trying to decide on my model location. GNR(I) is absolutely my favourite company.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, LARNE CABIN said:

Warrenpoint was one option I considered when trying to decide on my model location.

Yes I too had a crack at doing Warrenpoint back about 1982 after reading the second Mac Arnold GNR book. I recall get getting into a complete mess by trying to model the actual dock sidings by putting Polyfilla in between the rails of my track. Chunky Triang wheels could not cope!

I have a very loose connection with Warrenpoint in that our next door neighbour in 1960's Lambeg was one Jim Walker. I was delighted when he informed me that his dad was the signalman at Warrenpoint up until the closure. Lo and behold a T.V. programme rocks up last year (might have been the Rob Bell one) and they discuss Warrenpoint. I immediately turned to my wife and said "our old next door neighbour in Lambeg's dad was the signalman there", whereupon Jim Walker's sister appears in the programme to talk about their dad's time at Warrenpoint. Small auld world. 

Edited by Lambeg man
  • Like 2

I'll start with the adverts this morning! 3 Boxes of unused/never out of the box Cement bubbles listed in the Classifieds. Thanks to Brexsh1t will only post to UK though.

ex GNRI Belfast Victoria Street. Looks like a converted Cattle Wagon second vehicle in train. June 1963.

West Clare. A poor negative of Miltown Malbay ca 1952.

Ennis. Ex Tralee & Dingle Coach 39 same date.

z191  GNRI 1963-06-xx Belfast GVS West Clare 1952-xxCA Miltown Malbay West Clare 1952-xxCA Ennis Ex T&D 39

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

Looks like a converted Cattle Wagon second vehicle in train.

Fitted ventilated van given the coaching stock classification 'Y 9' by the GNR. First built 1881 and numbered initially in the goods vehicle series, in 1924 they were renumbered in the coaching fitted vans '700' series, their numbers running through into the '800's as per the one seen above at Manorhamilton. A significant number were rebuilt in the 1944-46 period. Originally fitted with roof ventilators, these were removed from some (though clearly not all as again the above photo) to allow passage through the Queens Bridge subway in Belfast. It appears the UTA added a '6' to their GNR numbers.

Edited by Lambeg man
  • Informative 2

1 hour ago, Lambeg man said:

I should add that the locomotive is ex-GNR 'T 2', UTA No. 5X on station pilot duty. 

Very capable locos, the Glover tanks, with bogie brakes unusual for Ireland - must have helped snappy stopping for suburban working. Regular runners on Antrim branch until its closure. Thankfully, after a 20 year gap, rails returned to that spot…… You can see the same building in both shots…..http://briansolomon.com/trackingthelight/2014/10/05/ni-railways-belfast/

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Irishswissernie said:

Ex CB&SCR today.

Cork Albert Quay station, 4 November 1960.

Ballinhassig 5 November 1960.

CBSC 1960-11-04 Cork Albert Quay CBSC 1960-11-05 Ballinhassig

Fun fact. Every single nameboard on the west cork railway has survived…..except for bandon! Which curiously escaped preservation 

last time it was seen was at the very very end of Brian bakers film on the subject where 2 of them are lying on the floor of Albert quay platform with rails that had been lifted. As far as I’m concerned they have disappeared since

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

Got to be north of Ballymena or Whitehead if single track in 52. Signalling looks like a branch rather than just sidings running in from the left. Angle of approach doesn’t look quite right for Limavady Jct. I’m guessing Macfin but probably wrong ! 

Edited by Galteemore

This 1929 view - Britain from the Air - seems to confirm that. My own memories of Magheramorne are too dominated by its dereliction to imagine what it once was! No one imagined in 1952 that No 52 and her sisters would nolonger run through that loop at speed but spend their final years hauling spoil from there to Belfast…..

3A06C121-7D47-486E-A5A1-65F6082F6CB9.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 3

On 14/11/2022 at 9:02 AM, Mayner said:

Quite common, MGWR standard design to replace cabins destroyed as a result of the Civil War. "Rock faced" concrete block base, internal staircase and frame placed at the rear of the  cabin.

Attymon was a good example of that.

1 hour ago, Lambeg man said:

I think you'll find it is a Belfast service. Post 1958 the GN section of the  UTA frequently deployed 'U' class locomotives on Belfast-Derry services, something they were not entirely suited to. Note also the "express" headlamp code.

1 hour ago, airfixfan said:

Could be a Strabane local. All stations on the Derry Road were repainted about 1963 to increase the losses quoted by the UTA@

Yes, it's a Belfast train. The local wouldn't have that many carriages either.

• Agree 1