Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive

Rate this topic

On 27/9/2022 at 9:56 PM, Irishswissernie said:

Inchicore 130 ends its days somewhat 'butchered' early 1960's.

CIE 1962-xx-CA Inchicore 130 stationary boiler 

An interesting feature is the way 130s frames have been patched/reinforced around the driving hornblock.

According to Locomotives of the GSR 130 was built in 1902 and received a Superheated boiler in 1947 but retained her original frames unlike some superheated J15s including 186 that were re-built with new heavier frames between the 1920s and early 40s.

The reinforced hornblock arrangement is not unlike the arrangement on the SSM J15 kit where the dummy frames (modelled as part of the superstructure) between the front buffer beam sit outside and slightly overlap the (functional) loco main frames. This allows the kit chassis to be assembled to OO or 21mm gauge, while retaining the cosmetic dummy frames in the correct position with the cylinder covers visible in the space between the bufferbeam and smokebox front a distinctive feature of the Class.

According the Irish Metro-vick Diesels B234 was re-built with a Maybach engine in Dec 1965 which is likely to date the photo in 66/67. 

There is a 1969 photo of B233 (rebuilt in May 66) in Black with a yellow warning panel a double heading the 10:00 with B192 Sunday Connolly-Limerick, its possible B233 with its commonwealth bogies was steadier/more comfortable at speed than the Baby GMs.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

Rowledge lists a number of 0-6-0s as being in CIE stock until 1965, some of which may have been boilers. Generally speaking, I suspect that there would have been little demand for such things post -steam : the stationary boiler was largely an adjunct to steam operations, facilitating such matters as boiler washouts, tube cleaning etc. 

I think J15 No. 130 was among the very last - there were only 3 or 4.

The Irish Railfans’ News has chapter and verse. Must look them up….

But it was limited and short-lived too.

Actual steam working on CIE finished completely at the end of February / start of March 1963.

After that, the only steam was UTA / NIR until 1970.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

This is interesting; why, I wonder, are there several UTA buses parked up there? Possibly the UTA had sold them off to a local school bus or other type of private operator?

1968 is about when the Free School Transport scheme came in. CIE did not get much (if any) warning, and were left scrambling to get vehicles together to meet the demand. This included both postponing withdrawals and buying some secondhand/withdrawn half-cab single decks from the UTA, to tide them over until the Bedford SS class could be produced. Perhaps the buses in the background are some of those?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Niles said:

Interesting, didn't realise non-preserved CIE steam locos lingered on in existence as late as 1966.

There are photos of when a Nick Thompson Was wandering around Inchicore in 1965 looking for the turfburners. There was 2 J15s and 2 bandon tanks 

which means that the bandon tanks were the unrivalled best tank engines ever based on longevity…..don’t follow me up on that one 

476E9D65-8BAB-49F9-9930-C95E88FBC967.thumb.jpeg.113dbf6b6e94aa41da719fc712cf7691.jpeg

B517DD91-24CE-41E6-855D-0029A2F03D14.thumb.jpeg.dee0295155aaf95f97bbeb6502cd00c1.jpeg

0FEA91C4-0CF6-4B9B-A97B-6EC94D220CF1.thumb.jpeg.dc7c3119876e3a2b9dc82dbabc8b1b4d.jpeg

EED14EFE-93BF-4943-A551-13299378B85C.thumb.jpeg.2465da46815b8c2b8074b7e5bd50d038.jpeg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, BSGSV said:

1968 is about when the Free School Transport scheme came in. CIE did not get much (if any) warning, and were left scrambling to get vehicles together to meet the demand. This included both postponing withdrawals and buying some secondhand/withdrawn half-cab single decks from the UTA, to tide them over until the Bedford SS class could be produced. Perhaps the buses in the background are some of those?

Indeed - very probably, I’d guess! You’re spot on.

There is something in the back of my mind, right enough, about the UTA (or newly formed Ulsterbus) selling some of those buses to various operators in the south. School buses were certainly one of these uses. 

Around the time of the UTA / Ulsterbus changeover, they bought in a load of second-hand buses from Ribble, Crosville (North Wales) and somewhere else, and these were used to replace “half-cab” single-drivers, now redundant due to one man operation.

As an aside, few if any of those old standard UTA single-deck half-cabs ever got the bright new blue and cream Ulsterbus livery.

16 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

……,which means that the bandon tanks were the unrivalled best tank engines ever based on longevity…..don’t follow me up on that one…

A few of the MGWR’s J26 / “E” class saw 67 years in actual use…..

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

On 30/9/2022 at 11:34 AM, Niles said:

Someone will know the exact number, but I'm pretty certain I've read of a J15 being used as a stationary boiler in Cork after steam had officially ended.

Some Sunday afternoon book browsing reveals it was 118.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Irishswissernie said:

CB&SCR 470 at Albert Quay 4 July 1955 & an unid Bandon tank 4 November 1960 with what looks like E414 lurking on the left.

CDRJC wagons at Donegal Town ca 1952. 315 ex 6 whl coach used at one time for turf traffic.

328 ex C&VBT.

Inchicore B160, 1960's

CBSC 1955-07-04  Cork Albert Quay 470 CBSC 1960-11-04 Cork Albert Quay (2) CDRJC 1952-xxCA Donegal Town wagon 315 CDRJC 1952-xxCA Donegal Town wagon 328 CIE 1966-xx-CA Inchicore B160

Fairly few photos of the diesel shunters at Albert quay on the internet. Which is a bit strange as they were used a decent amount. 

1 hour ago, Westcorkrailway said:

Fairly few photos of the diesel shunters at Albert quay on the internet. Which is a bit strange as they were used a decent amount. 

Very short lived, though. I’ve seen pics of an E401 there in silver. I think that once the west cork system closed, it was shunted by the loco which brought the goods train in. I’ve never seen any evidence if an E421 going in there.

22 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Very short lived, though. I’ve seen pics of an E401 there in silver. I think that once the west cork system closed, it was shunted by the loco which brought the goods train in. I’ve never seen any evidence if an E421 going in there.

Tom Ryan never recalls anything like an E class going over there when he was around. I imagine post 1961 it was all C/141. With the one A class in 1962 being the exception 

3 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

Tom Ryan never recalls anything like an E class going over there when he was around. I imagine post 1961 it was all C/141. With the one A class in 1962 being the exception 

Correct. No shunting engines after the station became nothing but a goods yard.

I must dig out details of where I saw a pic of an E401 in there. For all I know, it could even have been a one-off.

• Like 1

Here is an interesting negative of a train on the Cork City Railway 4 November 1960.  I reckon that its probably been taken from the Brake Van judging by the chap with the trolley, as I think human nature being what it is he's looking for the end of the train passing so he can get over the road. He could however be wondering 'Who's that nosey so-and-so on the engine taking photos of me' I think he also has a small child perched on the 'trolley' . Did they have wheelie luggage then? Never seen that modelled before!

CCR 1960-11-04 Cork City Railway

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Irishswissernie said:

Here is an interesting negative of a train on the Cork City Railway 4 November 1960.  I reckon that its probably been taken from the Brake Van judging by the chap with the trolley, as I think human nature being what it is he's looking for the end of the train passing so he can get over the road. He could however be wondering 'Who's that nosey so-and-so on the engine taking photos of me' I think he also has a small child perched on the 'trolley' . Did they have wheelie luggage then? Never seen that modelled before!

Certainly no such thing as "wheelie" luggage at that time! It's a little trolley for lifting sacks or things like that. No smoke, so one must presume it's a diesel up front, which means a "C" probably - though they were well capable of producing MORE smoke than a steam loco whwn they were of a mind to........ Very interesting photo.

As an aside, i remember all those types of cars very well, and the van and the lorry. That Morris car on the left with the ZF (Cork) registration - I learned to drive in one of those....

If anyone wants to make a large meuseum spec layout. You could have Kent station (already a daunting task) Albert quay (also a daunting tank) and link them up with the cork city railway. Which isint impossible in my head. The cork city railway isint that long. 

mind you if it had stayed open. I could imagine a world where Albert quay is dissused and the train goes through the streets like Wexford to terminate at Kent. You could even fit in a stop at Parnell place bus station and the air coach bus station! Alas My imagination has ran away again

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

This image from a video I took on friday reminds me of a 71 on the bulk cements! Its a 70 rather than a 071 though. Train is a diverted due to engineering work Seaham to Oxwellmains Cement Works mts. Probably a first for Haltwhistle!

2022-10-07 Whitchester, Haltwhistle. 70809 diverted Seaham - Oxwellmains mts (1)

That’s quite the diversion - talk about the long way round….

Edited by Galteemore

I had better add some Irish images as a penance for the Scottish one I put on IRM this morning!

West Clare Railway, Corofin 4 November 1960, I think the train was shunting a cattle wagon into the siding judging by other views from the same day.

Next Newry Edward Street & Goraghwood 24 August 1962. EDITED

Clonakilty 5 November 1960.

Drimoleague same date.

West Clare 1960-11-04 Corofin (2) UTA 1962-08-24 Goraghwood UTA 1962-08-24 Goraghwood 104 CBSC 1960-11-05 Clonakilty CBSC 1960-11-05  Drimoleague

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 8

39 minutes ago, Irishswissernie said:

UTA 1962-08-24 Goraghwood   

That doesn't look like Goraghwood to me, but certainly looks like Newry Edward Steet looking towards Goraghwood, with Newry North cabin in view. I had a look at the IRRS photos, and would be pretty sure.

Edited by BSGSV
Checked
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Londonderry & Lough Swilly Tooban Junction 20 April 1953.

Inchicore mid 1960's B234 & G615

L&LSR 1953-04-20 Tooban Junction HCC78461 CIE 1966-xx-CA Inchicore  B234 CIE 1966-xx-CA Inchicore G615

End view of an ex-GNR 700 series BUT railcar showing "Continental" style gangways.

Inchacore apparently overhauled one set of BUT cars in the late 60s/early 70s that never re-entered service, later stored in Dundalk Paint Shop for potential sale to NIR and later scrapped.

• Like 5