Ernies Massive Irish 1930's to 2005 Photo Archive

Rate this topic

Interesting how those little Victorian 2-4-2Ts, both GN and GSWR, lasted almost to the end. I wonder if 42 showed her legendary paces on those Kingsbridge -Inchicore passenger workings she used to do in between pilot turns. In north Dublin, JT no 91 was doing similar work up until 63, I think, having been retrieved from the loco dump at Dundalk. 

I built 42 a few years ago, but she now resides in the USA! 

Edited by Galteemore

1 hour ago, Irishswissernie said:

Guinness Brewery ca 1960.

Guinness Brewery ca1960 

UTA ex GN Covered Wagon in use on cross-border or Donegal, Guinness Traffic at James Gate in 1960, what looks like an ex-GN 'Bagged Cement wagon in the background.

Interesting to see a Converter Truck in service in 1960 when three (1 diesel, 2 steam locos) were nominally available.

I never saw a train operating on the Guinness Tramway, the Hudswell Clarke Diesel loco was usually parked in the brewery gateway when we drove past Kingsbridge in a bus or car during the early 1960s

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, connollystn said:

Great picture of the new Enterprise set, not a railcar I'm familiar with - did they last long in service?

The last of them were withdrawn by NIR in 1974, I think - just before the first batch of the 80 class went into service. The last ex-GNR AEC cars went at that time too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

'Lough Melvin' at Enniskillen, June 1957.

West Clare railway Brake Van 18C complete with the usual negative fault from this collection.

Broadstone shed 1960's.

Lastly , elsewhere in the World on the Archive I have now processed some of G C O'hara's 4500 negs and slides so here is a sampler. The North Easts  "Tara Mines", Hunts Cliff on the line serving Boulby Poatash Mine on the Yorkshire Cleveland coast. Nowadays its Class 66 rather than Class 20 but there are usually 6 return workings daily plus traffic to Skinningrove Steel Works.

SLNCR 1957-06 Enniskillen 'Lough Melvin' LN110 West Clare 1952-xx-CA 18C 6whl Brake Van CIE 1960's Dublin Broadstone GO0097 87-07 Hunts Cliff

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Irishswissernie said:

'Lough Melvin' at Enniskillen, June 1957......

SLNCR 1957-06 Enniskillen 'Lough Melvin' LN110   

Meanwhile, Lough Erne has spent a longer period "out of use" than "working".... - shame she couldn't go on loan to Downpatrick, as she'd have a better chance of doing some work there if restored to steam.

Incidentally, the RPSI page for "Erne" says she was the only one of the two 0-6-4Ts to carry red nameplates and then only after 1959. The photo of "Melvin" above suggests otherwise....

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Horsetan said:

Meanwhile, Lough Erne has spent a longer period "out of use" than "working".... - shame she couldn't go on loan to Downpatrick, as she'd have a better chance of doing some work there if restored to steam.

Incidentally, the RPSI page for "Erne" says she was the only one of the two 0-6-4Ts to carry red nameplates and then only after 1959. The photo of "Melvin" above suggests otherwise....

I think the RPSI site means red plates with brass letters. All SLNC locos had black plates with red letters/outlining , unless recently outshopped at Dundalk, where the staff seem to have preferred some bling. Manorhamilton generally quickly rectified this.

Erne is basically in Barry condition, sadly. Totally agree re Downpatrick but she requires so much money spent v the money she might generate that I fear we will never see her steam. It’s especially depressing given that she was less than 25 years old when her last fire was dropped. 

Edited by Galteemore

1 hour ago, Galteemore said:

I think the RPSI site means red plates with brass letters. All SLNC locos had black plates with red letters/outlining , unless recently outshopped at Dundalk, where the staff seem to have preferred some bling. Manorhamilton generally quickly rectified this.

Erne is basically in Barry condition, sadly. Totally agree re Downpatrick but she requires so much money spent v the money she might generate that I fear we will never see her steam. It’s especially depressing given that she was less than 25 years old when her last fire was dropped. 

I remember first seeing lough Erne and being gobsmacked that it had survived into preservation (back when I hadn’t a clue what was preserved and what wasn’t so I just went to all the meuseum instead of looking on the web) 

Every person I’ve met with a bit of experience with heritage railways has called it unphesable. Unless we get a much longer heritage line (unlikely) then the ones we have now. It’s probably destined for static display. Like 184 is now

• Like 2