Building C&L Track and points

Rate this question

Junctionmad

Question

Im evaluating the C&L plastic track for a potential Limerick Junction model. Has anyone any experience of this track in 00 , it means that Ill have to hand build upto 40 points , but hey it will keep me out of the pub for years

As a test track Im going to build the famous Limerick Junction Scissors , ballast and weather it etc with a metre of track each side , I haven't decided to make the crossing vees and switch blades, but thinking about it brings back lots of memories . given my eye sight is not the same as it was when I was 18, I might buy some pre made vees, though I expect the geometry of the scissors will mean a fair bit of scratch building.

I would be interested in getting anyones feedback on this track or / Exactoscale or SMP/Marcway etc .

Im currently using Templot to render a template for the scissors ( and the whole layout actually )

Does anyone know if the C&L or any of the others can be mated to Peco "fine scale" track, for fiddle yards etc. I'll ask C&L anyway

Im still getting over the shock of not going for full 21mm or even EM. ( but then my mate Noel will have lots of DCC Murphys models that could then "visit")!!

13 answers to this question

Im evaluating the C&L plastic track for a potential Limerick Junction model. Has anyone any experience of this track in 00 , it means that Ill have to hand build upto 40 points , but hey it will keep me out of the pub for years

As a test track Im going to build the famous Limerick Junction Scissors , ballast and weather it etc with a metre of track each side , I haven't decided to make the crossing vees and switch blades, but thinking about it brings back lots of memories . given my eye sight is not the same as it was when I was 18, I might buy some pre made vees, though I expect the geometry of the scissors will mean a fair bit of scratch building.

I would be interested in getting anyones feedback on this track or / Exactoscale or SMP/Marcway etc .

Im currently using Templot to render a template for the scissors ( and the whole layout actually )

Does anyone know if the C&L or any of the others can be mated to Peco "fine scale" track, for fiddle yards etc. I'll ask C&L anyway

Im still getting over the shock of not going for full 21mm or even EM. ( but then my mate Noel will have lots of DCC Murphys models that could then "visit")!!

I've been contemplating fiddling around with similar track too. I'll be staying OO as I couldnt logically afford to rewheel everything I've got an then I do love a bit of HO to run too. I've been following this thread on RMWeb and trying to get my head around things http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/89279-finescale-oo-track-where-to-start/page-2#entry1574213

Yes but I just can't as yet bring myself to cope with the appalling visuals of peco track. It just looks all wrong

Harumph!!! :(

So you didn't like my trackwork then last week? Will I rip it all up and relay 21mm then? (i.e. when I've won the lotto and can employ a team to make all custom the trackwork and points so that I will have time to run some trains before I'm 90) :)

N gauge would enable a scale track plan for LJ!!!

A couple of questions Junctionmad.

Will the rails need to be all bullhead or a mix of bullhead and flat bottom rail.

Are you going to use any ply and rivet sleepers in the build.

Do you want exact representations of the crossings and switches, ie ABCD size 1-6 1-7 and so on.

C&L point kits are a good place to start when wanting to put them together without any of the filing of track.

Exactoscale point kits are on another level altogether and come with all the chairs, slide chairs, bridge chairs, and the special chairs for the crossings and vee's. Personally if you want the track to look right in appearance then go for the Exactoscale kits.

Exactoscale and C&L also do sleeper bases of the concrete, and wooden type.

The Exactoscale wooden sleeper bases have little pimples on the sleepers where the chairs sit on them as the chairs all have holes on the underside. Even with this system if you are thinking of using one of the wider gauges then get some track building gauges.

Fran is spot on about re wheeling and compensating anything wider then EM gauge.

The only advantage I could see you being able to achieve in 00 gauge is being able to use bullhead rail and having the correct sleeper spacing. If you are happy with using all flatbottom rail then Pete Harvey produces a nice tool for spacing the sleepers correctly in Peco track.

Whatever the choice you make good luck.

Rich,

If you want to get something running quickly Marcway points with either SMP or C&L flexible track might be a workable alternative, they also build custom formations see Dave Holmans Arigna Town thread.

Marcway normally use code 75bulheadrail soldered soldered to copper clad sleepers, with the chairs represented by blobs of solder, old technology, but a lot quicker and easier on the sanity and eyesight than threading on 1000s of chairs on a large layout

Pardon my ignorance, & I hope you don't mind me butting in on this but as on so many occasions shortcuts are used on here which is ok to those who ( in the know ) know, but whats Marcway, C&L, SMP, (Scotish Member Parliment ) it's about time we all got to know about these things,it's a hobby after all, is'nt it :confused:

Pardon my ignorance, & I hope you don't mind me butting in on this but as on so many occasions shortcuts are used on here which is ok to those who ( in the know ) know, but whats Marcway, C&L, SMP, (Scotish Member Parliment ) it's about time we all got to know about these things,it's a hobby after all, is'nt it :confused:

They're all manufacturers/suppliers of do-it-yourself track-making components, amongst other product lines.

http://www.marcway.net/point.php

http://www.marcway.net/smp.php

http://www.finescale.org.uk/

Harumph!!! :(

So you didn't like my trackwork then last week? Will I rip it all up and relay 21mm then? (i.e. when I've won the lotto and can employ a team to make all custom the trackwork and points so that I will have time to run some trains before I'm 90) :)

N gauge would enable a scale track plan for LJ!!!

Your tracks are lovely Noel just lovely

A couple of questions Junctionmad.

Will the rails need to be all bullhead or a mix of bullhead and flat bottom rail.

Are you going to use any ply and rivet sleepers in the build.

Do you want exact representations of the crossings and switches, ie ABCD size 1-6 1-7 and so on.

C&L point kits are a good place to start when wanting to put them together without any of the filing of track.

Exactoscale point kits are on another level altogether and come with all the chairs, slide chairs, bridge chairs, and the special chairs for the crossings and vee's. Personally if you want the track to look right in appearance then go for the Exactoscale kits.

Exactoscale and C&L also do sleeper bases of the concrete, and wooden type.

The Exactoscale wooden sleeper bases have little pimples on the sleepers where the chairs sit on them as the chairs all have holes on the underside. Even with this system if you are thinking of using one of the wider gauges then get some track building gauges.

Fran is spot on about re wheeling and compensating anything wider then EM gauge.

The only advantage I could see you being able to achieve in 00 gauge is being able to use bullhead rail and having the correct sleeper spacing. If you are happy with using all flatbottom rail then Pete Harvey produces a nice tool for spacing the sleepers correctly in Peco track.

Whatever the choice you make good luck.

Rich,

Let me say first off I'm a bit of a track nazi, it's my scenery that's crap !

Given the potential size of the layout. With in excess of 40 points I'll be starting slowly primarily looking at building the track work around the platforms.

To answer some questions

The pictures of LJ in the 80s show a mixture of code 75 bullhead and 82 flat bottom. My understanding is that nobody does flexi track that simulates flatbottom on wooden sleepers , exactoscale do chairs so to simulate this properly would be quite a chore

Hence I may do it in stages well see

As for point work ill make the vees and switch blades ( just bought a Proxxon vertical milling machine ! )

And use a combination of c&l and exactoscale chairs all on c&l plastic timbering.

I'm fling to order test track from all three companies and some peco too and my preference would be to lay the fiddle yards in peco, this of course kinda rules out OO-SF ( ie 1mm flange ways ) but I will build to 1.25 or as close as I can , giving me that prototype appearance at the point knuckles etc.

All the points will be switched by RC type servos. Frog polarity will be electronically switched. This is the best way for dcc , as you just forget about switching frogs. The track route is set as per the signalling and the frog polarities change dynamically as the wheels pass over. ( no use for DC layouts )

I cast no asparagus at anyone doing any form of track work. OO , EM , Peco, its just realistic track is my " thing "

However this layout is going to be severely compromised to fit into a reasonable length , with the main LJ facing platforms being cut down to holding about 4 carriages plus engine

This means tighter radius point work etc which again effects flange size and more importantly back to back measurements

As fir wheel and axle compensation , at P4 levels it's virtually required because you are running scale flanges and these are less then 0.25 mm

But in other gauges compensation helps to " sit " the wagon properly on the track with little wobbling etc.

I know the idea of finescale 00 is somewhat strange as was pointed out , EM might be a compromise , but it's rather like the 00 for 21mm track isn't it.

What has changed is the availability of production track in EM , it's just all them points !!!!!!

I love Noel's peco track I really do.

Edited by Junctionmad

Have a look in the track section here. colincraig4mm.co.uk Colin produces parts for flat bottom rail on wooden sleepers. It may not be 100% accurate, if you can live with that then it is worth a punt.

I have a love for all things track myself. I lived in London for a time and I used Clapham Junction a lot, and that is the Mecca for all things per way for me. The junction would be an amazing project in 00 if space wasn't a problem. However it is a model and a condensed version will be great project.

Rich,

They're all manufacturers/suppliers of do-it-yourself track-making components, amongst other product lines.

http://www.marcway.net/point.php

http://www.marcway.net/smp.php

http://www.finescale.org.uk/

Many thanks Broithe, lets hope one & all will remember to explain these, as there far too many, other similar shortcuts been used,