Gatwick donors

Rate this question

Liverbird81

Question

24 answers to this question

The nearest correct RTR coaches are the Lima 2nd class Mk 2fs, still available from time to time on eBay. Mk 2ds are close, but one toilet is in the wrong position. Toilets in the Gatwicks are on opposite corners as per the Lima 2f, not on the same side as per the Airfix/Dapol/Hornby 2d.

As this site relates to modelling, I assumed that the vague opening statement, not a question, referred to modelling NIR Gatwick stock. However, following the second question, P6, again a little vague, I assume that the questions refer to the real 12inches/foot scale coaches.

The NIR Gatwick stock was originally used on the Gatwick Express service between Gatwick Airport and London Victoria hauled by Class 73 locos, hence the NIR nickname of 'Gatwick' stock. After the service was changed to EMU operation, the Mk 2 stock became surplus to BR requirements, and NIR purchased eight of the coaches.

The stock itself was originally ordinary Mk 2f stock, refurbished and adapted for its new role in the Gatwick Express service. I have no idea what, if any, changes were by NIR after purchase. As the electrical systems of the Gatwick stock were different to NIR's existing Mk 2s, a new Brake Generator van was required, so 911 was rebuilt with a new generator, and without passenger accommodation, to work with the Gatwicks, and renumbered 8911.

Anyone else not able to understand Liverbirds question, or find offence with it?

Given that we all text, I find it totally acceptable

Rules are rules Dave. Plenty of people use this site and dont use text messaging. There's no harm making something easy to understand for everybody. As I said, common courtesy.

The boss did not seem to find any problem with it, even added an answer to the question.

Rules for the sake of rules does not work

Had someone asked what the post was, then would have been the time to act

Touch of heavy handedness if you ask me

Possibly the stupidest mod that I have seen posted, does not help anyone

The boss did not seem to find any problem with it, even added an answer to the question.

Rules for the sake of rules does not work

Had someone asked what the post was, then would have been the time to act

Touch of heavy handedness if you ask me

Plenty of people didnt understand the question. He wasnt punished, just reminded of the rules which he subsequently responded to and corrected. Happy days. You seem to be the only one making a meal out of it.

The nearest correct RTR coaches are the Lima 2nd class Mk 2fs, still available from time to time on eBay. Mk 2ds are close, but one toilet is in the wrong position. Toilets in the Gatwicks are on opposite corners as per the Lima 2f, not on the same side as per the Airfix/Dapol/Hornby 2d.

You will need to fill in 1 toilet window too as 1 toilet was removed to facilitate more luggage space

Id wait until the new Bachmann MK2F's are here, if you dare of course :)

You will need to fill in 1 toilet window too as 1 toilet was removed to facilitate more luggage space

Id wait until the new Bachmann MK2F's are here, if you dare of course :)

+

Well you learn something new every day. I had never noticed that one toilet window had been removed. Appears to be the opposite end from the roof hatch that has had the toilet removed. This means that the Airfix/Dapol/Hornby 2nd class Mk 2d body is now a suitable candidate for conversion, since one toilet window needs filling in.

Incidently, the Gatwick stock is permanently coupled together in pairs, with the roof hatch at the outer ends of each pair.

+

This means that the Airfix/Dapol/Hornby 2nd class Mk 2d body is now a suitable candidate for conversion, since one toilet window needs filling in.

Incidently, the Gatwick stock is permanently coupled together in pairs, with the roof hatch at the outer ends of each pair.

It still is not - Mk2F has different underframe equipment, espcially the 1 big aircon fan - Mk2D has 2 smaller ones...

It still is not - Mk2F has different underframe equipment, espcially the 1 big aircon fan - Mk2D has 2 smaller ones...

I purposely only mentioned the body was suitable, as I had not looked into underframe detail. Besides, the Mk 2d is more readily available both new and secondhand than the Mk 2f.