Wallacetown (Under new Management)

Rate this topic

Railway Lyons

At the October MRSI exhibition in Raheny, UMRC had their layout Wallacetown for sale.

I duly snapped it up, and then asked my better half for permission to bring it home, permission granted! :tumbsup:

A shed has now been ordered for it and this coming January, the layout will go through a transformation.

It will become full DCC (track, lights and points) with a lot of detail added to the already existing layout.

Below are some pics of the layout as it was at the Raheny show.

I hope in the coming year to post up regular updates of my progress in bringing this well admired layout to the next stage.

Here is to a successful year, Happy Christmas to all, and plenty of modelling.

DSC_0124.jpg

DSC_0116.jpg

DSC_0117.jpg

DSC_0119.jpg

DSC_0120.jpg

DSC_0121.jpg

DSC_0122.jpg

DSC_0123.jpg

Looks good... looking forward to seeing what you have in store for it!

I duly snapped it up, and then asked my better half for permission to bring it home, permission granted!

I can imagine how that conversation went...

"There's no way you're bringing home a... what do you mean, you've already bought it!? *sigh*"

=))

Just thinking aloud... I saw that layout and thoroughly enjoyed watching it. The operator (at some exhibition I can't remember) was carrying out slow shunting manoeuvres, very realistic.

It had occurred to me at the time that it would lend itself very well to an Irish setting - an imaginary Great Victoria Street or Dublin / Cork quays type of site. It's a layout that would suit a British situation, as it is, but substitute what's running on it for a few black'n'tan GMs and rakes of fertiliser or oil wagons, or endless strings of H vans......

Just thinking aloud... I saw that layout and thoroughly enjoyed watching it. The operator (at some exhibition I can't remember) was carrying out slow shunting manoeuvres, very realistic.

It had occurred to me at the time that it would lend itself very well to an Irish setting - an imaginary Great Victoria Street or Dublin / Cork quays type of site. It's a layout that would suit a British situation, as it is, but substitute what's running on it for a few black'n'tan GMs and rakes of fertiliser or oil wagons, or endless strings of H vans......

That is the idea, it occurred to me too.

Few mods to signage etc and it could be easily adapted.

I have enough stock to run either scene.

I do hope at some stage to bring it back out into the exhibition scene and show off the full capabilities.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi to all,

Hope everyone has their Christmas lists sent off, and have been good to deserve them (but a sack of coal could come in handy for the steam engines)

I have been away from the layout for a bit now, work commitments taking over.

However, over the Christmas period, I have 30 point motors(SEEP) and 5 Accessory Decoders(MERG) to install to enable the eLink to run all from my PC.

Once this lot is in, I will be doing up a proper running video(I haven't been happy with others so far).

Best wishes to all for the coming season!

• 6 months later...

Hi All,

This thread has been quiet for a while with work and family taking precedence over the hobby.

Unfortunately, it is going to go cold for a while more, as the shed and layout have to come down for a house move.

With not enough space in the new location, with the in-laws, the layout will be in storage for the next while.

Only solution to make it possible to save for the deposit to buy our own home.

Once our house is bought in next 12-18 months, I have been promised the space to resurrect the layout and get it fully operational again, in a permanent home.

So until then, my modelling will be limited to kits and modifications to rolling stock, which can be seen on my workbench from time to time.

So for now, Wallacetown will bid you adieu!