Lima 201

Rate this topic

StevieB

One of the things that Lima were always well known for was the relative coarseness of their wheels. However, I am pleasantly surprised at how well my two Lima 201's run through Peco code 75 pointwork - no hesitation whatsoever.

Stephen

Glad to hear it, Stephen. I am thinking of a layout in Code 75 or 83 (I'm located in the US and that's the 'standard' for north American modelers, and would probably be more readily available for me). I have 141s, 181s, 071s, a Jinty, several N class steam. If you have any experience with these on a finescale rail such as Code 75, I 'd be happy to hear of your experience ot thoughts.

Kevin

Edited by DiveController

On the question of Peco code ??? has anybody done anything to the point that may have effected the running, if not then why do's the Lima's run as we expect them to, is it luck ! just asking, for future references

Stick to code 100 everything if you want to run Lima. They'll bounce on the sleepers on code 75.

If in any doubt about the suitability of any given track, it might be a good idea to buy a couple of sections and a set of points, and test run your stock on it before buying enough to complete a layout.

Yes, that's what I'm thinking. Good advice. If there are any problems I might try code 83. It may be a fair compromise between the two. Anything with plastic wheels (and there are some) would be re-wheeled anyway so I guess the replacements out there would be compatible with Code 75?

Dive, you could replace the older pizzacutter type wheelsets with code88 or similar which would be readily available stateside in packs of 50.

http://www.bobthetrainguy.com/rapido-ho-scale-33-code-88-fine-tread-wheels-50-pack/

Great value, and you can resell any of your old ones :-)

GD, that's good value at under a dollar an axle.

Like the fine thread idea, so the flange would be thinner (to avoid issues with electrofrog points) and not as high (to prevent riding on the sleepers)?

Resell the old ones? People need OEM spares?... or was that a joke about Hornby/lima older wheel sets

Sorry if we're getting a little off thread here

Edited by DiveController

Dive, you could replace the older pizzacutter type wheelsets with code88 or similar which would be readily available stateside in packs of 50.

http://www.bobthetrainguy.com/rapido-ho-scale-33-code-88-fine-tread-wheels-50-pack/

Great value, and you can resell any of your old ones :-)

Tempting but it would be safest to check that the diameter of the Lima OO gauge wheels and the HO scale wheels and axle lengths match before buying.

A 33" American freight car wheel works out at approx. 9.6mm, the typical CIE 3' coach wheel at 12mm in OO which would lead to problems in matching coupling and ride heights.

Hornby or Bachmann wheels may be too large in diameter as it looks like Lima OO stock was designed around an 11mm diameter wheel.

Markits produce replacement wheels for Lima http://www.markits.com/MARKITS_Price_Guide_2013_09.pdf

MRJ11/b-3Rmfd 11mm T/Disc 24.5mm Axle ('LIMA') £2.00

MRJ12Do/b3Rmfd 12mm T/Disc (LIMA) 24.5mm Axle £2.00

These may be available through DC kits or other UK suppliers

That's a good point, John. I was looking at the 33" and it didn't occur to me that that was actually the size of the prototypical wheel on the wagon. Which reminded me of something else, on another thread I seem to recall that there are different lengths for the axles, that is to say the width of the axle from tip to tip where it fits into the wagon. I think limas were a little shorter or longer than Hornby or Bachman. I'm going to search for that other thread too.

EDIT: John & David had some input on the other thread here:

http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/3484-Old-Dapol-amp-Lima-CIE-Wagons-on-Peco-Code-75-track?p=54291&highlight=lima+axle#post54291

If rewheeling, it is worth remembering that Lima vehicles use a shorter, approx 24.5mm axle, as opposed to the normal approx 25.75mm axle that everyone else uses, although I believe some smaller manufacturers offer their wheels with different length axles. I personally just reuse the original Lima axles with new wheels, although it can sometimes be a challenge to remove the Lima wheels from the axles.

Edited by DiveController

Most Lima locomotives post 1986 have wheels with a less coarse profile which will run fine on Peco code 75 track and points. Earlier locomotives had a wheel profile with the 'pizza cutter' flanges, which do not run. Similarly, more recently produced coaches and wagons were fitted with less coarse profile wheels which are quite happy on code 75 track.

As mentioned in DC's thread above, Lima coach and wagon axles are shorter than most other axles, and fitting Jackson Romford replacement wheels to the original axles is the simple solution, once the uninsulated Lima wheel is persuaded to leave the axle. Another option that I use, is to remove the replacement wheels from the axle, filing off one end of the axle to reduce the length to that of a Lima axle, putting the axle in an electric drill and filing a new tapered end, finishing off with some fine abrasive paper.

In the past I found it easier to throw away Lima coach bogies and start again, including some re-profiling of the underside of the underframe.

Stephen

Interesting I have eight Lima CIE (ex BR mk1s) in black'n'tan livery, the models are circa 1978isn, but run OK on my peco 100 track. I was wondering about rewheeling to reduce shorts on the crossings.

Interesting I have eight Lima CIE (ex BR mk1s) in black'n'tan livery, the models are circa 1978isn, but run OK on my peco 100 track. I was wondering about rewheeling to reduce shorts on the crossings.

If they are actually causing problems then I definitely would rewheel them, but if your threads are anything to judge by, you'd have done that already if they were, methinks…..:D