Claremorris a layout in 00-SF

Rate this topic

Junctionmad

Hi foilks , how that I have the space, I can plan in earnest. I attach a outline track layout based closely on the prototype, track layout around 1970-80. Ive moved one crossover and some of the turnouts are on curves unlike the prototype , but all the track formations/movements are per the prototype. layout is 16' by 8' , no curve under 2'10" and all points 1:5,1/2 or greater

Ive taken a few liberties with the town representation and the station road access

Ive signalled the ballinrobe branch for passenger working as per an old signal diagram I came across. Im going to operate the Ballinrobe branch as if it had survived into diesel passenger service ( plus I can justify running a few steam locos if I want to.)

I attach the PDF

Id appreciate any feedback . I plan to build the turnouts in 00-SF ( 1mm flangeways ) and use C&L oo track for visible track and keep the PECO code 75 hidden !

Given I had to shrink the length , Im still looking at exactly how a freight train , that is Dublin or Limerick bound would be

extracted from the goods yard , I suspect the main lines would be used in the model for the loco run round, whereas the real thing might have enough space to do it in the loops

its a big project and will take me a long time, its will be DCC from the start , but with MERG CBUS for layout control ( as well as MERG DCC controllers ).

Windows 7 -Parallels printed document-5.jpg

Edited by Junctionmad

WOW - what a stunning track diagram for what was once a major freight and passenger hub. The possibilities for layout operations and traffic mix are endless.

I dare not make any suggestions to such an amazing plan, but have you considered moving and using curved points instead of the straight points at grid box 4 & 5 (SE end but LHS when viewing diagram). This would enable you to add one foot to the platforms by moving the point work into the bends at the SE end of the layout.

WOW - what a stunning track diagram for what was once a major freight and passenger hub. The possibilities for layout operations and traffic mix are endless.

I dare not make any suggestions to such an amazing plan, but have you considered moving and using curved points instead of the straight points at grid box 4 & 5 (SE end but LHS when viewing diagram). This would enable you to add one foot to the platforms by moving the point work into the bends at the SE end of the layout.

Thanks Noel , I'll look at your suggestion. The track is constrained by the 5 crossovers , putting the points on a curve tends to lengthen the lead.

Lots of detailed planning JM and your method of Controlling sounds very interesting. Hoping to see some baseboards soon.

I have a working MERG DCC system and I like that I have access to the code so I'm designing my own throttles

The location where the layout is going doesn't suit building in situ ( ie track laying etc ) , but I have a separate home office , workshop ( I have CNC milling , and about to buy a Seig SC3 lathe ) so I am trying to come up with a removable baseboard concept, that would allow me to remove the top section of the baseboard and work on it in the office and then return it to the baseboard understand

Anyone have any ideas for this , pics etc. the house also has a 5m x3m room "Spare " , "sure the adult kids never visit us now, honey " ( not getting a whole lot of traction on that idea ! )

Ultimately I think I'll build a dedicated railway room in the garden. Which is again where I want the modular /removable baseboards idea as I may move the layout ( would also facilitate exhibiting it in future )

Edited by Junctionmad

Well done JM, that's the exact size of my intended layout, so I'm very interested in your plans. Tell me what is OO-SF, as my layout will be in OO. What is the radious of the two curves on the top / left section on the plan as I'm hoping to get a 4th radious on mine with a straight section where I hope to locate a station.

Well done JM, that's the exact size of my intended layout, so I'm very interested in your plans. Tell me what is OO-SF, as my layout will be in OO. What is the radious of the two curves on the top / left section on the plan as I'm hoping to get a 4th radious on mine with a straight section where I hope to locate a station.

00-SF is essentially 00 gauge but the flange ways and the turnout

Common crossing are reduced to 1mm and to compensate and allow standard RTR then the gauge is reduced to 16.2mm at that point. The turnout is flared neck out to 16.5mm for use with standard 00 plain track, which into case will C&L bullhead . Obviously this means hand built turnouts, but you can't get the proper track flow of the prototype without using hand built turnouts. The next step is to build the whole layout in Templot, to verify the space constraints as its much more accurate them Traxx

All the curves Are 2'10"" or greater , turnouts are 1:5.5 or greater. I would have liked to hold 3' as the min radius but just couldn't do it.

I'm working up the ballinrobe terminus plan at the moment. It has the advantage of being a very narrow station layout which suits the intended space. I can see the AEC railcars !!

Edited by Junctionmad

Love the whole concept of this, good luck with the building Did you make out the signal positions yourself or are they based on actual real positions and aspects TDR

Signalling precisely as per prototype including aspects , unusual calling on signal signal etc . I will add the ground dics to the plan as I hope to make these operational.

I was attracted by the signalling as it was one of the largest boxes in operation till recently with 5 ETS machines to boot !!

With the cooperation of IR heritage dept. I completed an in depth survey of all the remaining structures including interiors. The turntable still works to this day !

[ATTACH]18796[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]18797[/ATTACH]

Can't wait to see this develop. The more I look at that track diagram the more interesting the operational possibilities seem. I know JM is a 'stickler' for correct signalling and prototypical ops. :) Five different railway lines converging on one station - awesome place to model.

For completeness I have added the ballinrobe branch. In fact given it's simplicity and smaller size I may even begin there I have photo records of the station , goods shed, coaling stage , signal box and engine shed. I'll have to interpret dimensions. From photos.

The ballinrobe branch is at a lower level then claremorris

image.jpg

Edited by Junctionmad
  • Agree 1

• 8 years later...
12 hours ago, Warbonnet said:

Hi everyone,

I would rather not go into too much detail but Junctionmad has been a little bit under the weather recently, hence lack of updates. 

Cheers!

Fran 

Thanks Fran send him our best regards and hope he is feeling better soon

Colin

• Like 2
  • Agree 1