PVC foamcore baseboards

Rate this question

Junctionmad

Question

I am thinking of using a foam core baseboard construction, using two skins of 3-5mm ply epoxy bonded to a 25-50mm structural foam. The best type is probably closed cell PVC foam at about 70 euros per 6x4 , or alternatively high density expanded polystyrene, ( often blue or pink ) which is sold for insulation purposes. The polystyrene isn't closed cell.

There will be a balancer skin of 3-5mm ply on the bottom bonded by epoxy. and the sides will be covered to mitigate moisture ingress.

The idea is to build removal lightweight but strong baseboard, that can sit unsupported on trestle legs.

any comments , anyone any experiences

12 answers to this question

What someone must have tried this ? No

It sounds a really interesting idea, but I'd guess most folks are used to traditional plywood or mdf for base boards. Personally I like 9mm ply as its easy to work with and takes track pins. MDF while more stable was a nightmare as it would not take track pins and was just too hard. I understand however there are other grades of MDF nowadays that may take hammered in track pins (i.e. not as hard).

I am thinking of using a foam core baseboard construction, using two skins of 3-5mm ply epoxy bonded to a 25-50mm structural foam. The best type is probably closed cell PVC foam at about 70 euros per 6x4 , or alternatively high density expanded polystyrene, ( often blue or pink ) which is sold for insulation purposes. The polystyrene isn't closed cell.

There will be a balancer skin of 3-5mm ply on the bottom bonded by epoxy. and the sides will be covered to mitigate moisture ingress.

The idea is to build removal lightweight but strong baseboard, that can sit unsupported on trestle legs.

any comments , anyone any experiences

How much weight would you save? How much would it cost in relation to a 'traditional' design?

What's a balancer skin?...........:confused:

Apart from taking to exhibitions building a layout in sections so that it can be dismantled and re-erected on another site can be important if you have to move home/country/continent. I have moved layouts from the UK to Ireland to New Zealand and since moved home twice without having to scrap everything and start over again.

Foamboard tends to be widely used in the United States for baseboards for permanent layouts. Patricks layout is a good example of using this type of construction for a walk around layout http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/1102-Patricks-Layout

Probably one of the most concise articles on the pros & cons of the various types of baseboard. http://www.009.cd2.com/members/how_to/baseboards.htm

Thanks Broithe, PERMANENT is the operative word, when I put my layout down, it's down to stay.

A lot can depend upon how confident you are of the permanence of your location - my intention is to move twice more - and I'll be in the box on the second of those moves....

Plywood can be noisy and foam is quieter, if that matters to you.

There's a lot of issues - personal preferences can be important factors.

I suppose it is reasonably logical, even without the outer layer. Chipboard, for example, is rather flexible and requires many cross beams in any application. Considering the actual load involved in model railways, maybe polystyrene board is not a bad idea. It is actually quite rigid and easy to work with. As long as you don't lean on it...

No reason why it shouldn't work. Gordon Gravett's seminal work, Pempoul, is built on foam board foundations. Plywood sides [6mm birch] protect the edges, with 12mm ply at the ends to the baseboard joiners. No More Nails, or similar, used to hold everything together. Mr G insets blocks of plywood [top or bottom], to hold anything that needs a firmer foundation [eg servo or point motor]. Recently, he showed me his new project [details in latest Model Railway Journal], where he has clad lengths of 50mm x 25mm [2x1] foam board, with one sixteenth inch thick plywood. The result looks just like a standard piece of 2x1 timber, but weighs almost nothing. Uses them as longitudinal beams, beneath the foam board for extra strength. Works extremely well.