DMU/EMU 's/Railcars of Ireland

Rate this question

john83

Question

Hey guys,

I know DMU's usually arent very popular among rail fans because they replace our beloved standalone loco's but having grown up along the Dart Line i have a fondness for them. They dont really get much representation in the model world in Ireland yet. I was recently at the Bray Toys of Yesterday fair and Wrenneire showed me a beautiful respray of a BR DMU in a CIE livery which got me wondering what DMU/EMU's/Railcars have set foot in this country since rail began here. I see alot of great posts about locos etc but not much about this topic. Perhaps ive missed a post somewhere. Any history experts out there know more on this topic?

23 answers to this question

Quite a few, John.

In the UK, they're "DMUs", but here they're railcars! ;-)

In terms of multiple unit sets, as opposed to single unit (mostly early) railcars, we have - at least -

GNR* & CIE

(* GNR fleet divided between UTA and CIE after 1958)

AEC Park Royal cars and BUT cars

Gardner engined articulated units (GNR)

UTA / NIR

Ex-GN stuff as above

MPD cars - several varieties

MED cars - several varieties

70 class sets

NIR

Inherited GN and UTA stuff as above

80 class

"Castle" (450) class

3000 class

4000 class

CIE

2600 "Arrow"

IE

Inherited "Arrows"

2700 class

22000 class

29000 class

Have I omitted anything?

For the EMUs you have the 8100 class LHB DARTs delivered in 1983. There were 40 2 cars sets, each set had one 8100 power car coupled to an 8300 trailer car. Sets were numbered 8101/8301-8140/8340. Sets 10 and 37 were destroyed by fire in Fairview Depot in 2000.

Alstom DART units were bought to replace them and increase capacity in 1999. There were just 5 2 cars sets. 8200 power car and 8400 trailer car in each set. They very not operationally compatible with the older 8100 class but could haul them for maintenance. They generally worked in multiple with the 8500 and 8510 class delivered later on to form mixed 6 car sets as platforms were not long enough for 8 car formations of 8500 units at the time.

Wow thanks for all that info! Are there many current RTR models out that can be directly resprayed to CIE etc?

Lima you are truely a talented individual. I especially loved the maroon and white class 70. Your collection is beautiful.

Having taken a 20year break from the hobby im learning so much from this community.

There are no RTR models which can be repainted to give a strictly accurate picture of a GNR / UTA / CIE / NIR / IE railcar, however there are a number which can be painted to have a reasonable approximation.

A British class 150 two-car can be repainted to give a reasonable image of an NIR "Castle" class, and I suppose IE class 2600 / 2700 / 2800 with a good dollop of poetic licence. Others here are much more up to date than I am on modern British multiple units; doubtless more suggestions will follow.

If you're modelling the 1950 - early 1970s period, the AEC cars so favoured by the GN, UTA and NIR can be represented by several British standard classes of railcar. Again, some here will advise, but Triang Hornby made one which I've seen repainted and it looks all right.

There are no RTR models which can be repainted to give a strictly accurate picture of a GNR / UTA / CIE / NIR / IE railcar, however there are a number which can be painted to have a reasonable approximation.

A British class 150 two-car can be repainted to give a reasonable image of an NIR "Castle" class, and I suppose IE class 2600 / 2700 / 2800 with a good dollop of poetic licence. Others here are much more up to date than I am on modern British multiple units; doubtless more suggestions will follow.

If you're modelling the 1950 - early 1970s period, the AEC cars so favoured by the GN, UTA and NIR can be represented by several British standard classes of railcar. Again, some here will advise, but Triang Hornby made one which I've seen repainted and it looks all right.

Thanks jhb. I will be mainly modelling the 1990's - present period and i might pickup a BR class 150 DMU for repainting. I wonder how much of a difference there is between the Class 150 and the IE 2600. I would repaint it in the livery below

220px-16.06.95_Dublin_Heuston_2601_(5957580489).jpg

Wow thanks for all that info! Are there many current RTR models out that can be directly resprayed to CIE etc?

Lima you are truely a talented individual. I especially loved the maroon and white class 70. Your collection is beautiful.

Having taken a 20year break from the hobby im learning so much from this community.

Thanks John, too kind!

Re RTR railcars, there's these, from Silver Fox...

http://silverfoxmodels.co.uk/nir-ir-ie-2600-class-railcar-aecpark-royal/

nir_dmu_uta1.jpg

2600_class_railcar_green.jpg

nir_dmu_gnri1.jpg

...basically, repainted BR Cravens DMUs.

Though too short, you could get a roughly comparable result by repainting a Tri-ang DMU, after cutting away the two cab front window pillars and replacing one, in the middle; and preferably rounding the 'peak' in the cab front (and possibly repositioning the three headlights to more correct positions). Two power car bodies would also be preferable as the AEC power cars all had brake compartments, IIRC.

With just a repaint, a Tri-ang DMU is not bad for UTA railcars 6 & 7, though again, two power car bodyshells would be better than just one; and again, the cab roof peak should be rounded. Stick a Grafar suburban coach in the middle for a trailer. Steve Rafferty had such a set and it looked the part - there's a pic in issue 5 of 'Irish Lines, available here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zgbbr6m6jvvi1cp/Irish%20Lines%20-%20Issue%205%20-%201993%20Winter.pdf

UTA and NIR MPD railcars can be made by motorising a repainted Hornby Stanier coach, perferably the compo as the brake third has much too big a brake compartment. All tyou really need tyo do is creat a cab at one end. At its simplest, cut a window either side of the corridor connection at one end, or laminate plasticard over the end to give a rounder profile. Other stuff is optional, like trimming off the roof ribbing or hanging simulated mechanical components under the floor of the power car.

Works drawings of most of the older railcars are in my RMWeb gallery, which with suitable pics can assist in selecting suitable RTR donors: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/album/2408-uta-railcar-drawings/

Recommended reading would be:

'Diesel Dawn' by Colm Flanagan, covering the early railcars, up to the 1970s:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Diesel-Dawn-Contribution-Development-1931-1967/dp/1904242081

A 1990s edition of 'Irish Railways Traction & Travel' by Peter Jones, which covers not only then-current railcars but also withdrawn ones:

http://www.stmarysbooks.com/product/94855/irish+railways+traction+%26+travel/#.VdShOJerEl8

...and 'Irish Railways Locos, Multiple Units & Trams', by Robert Pritchard, to bring the picture up-to-date:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irish-Railways-Locomotives-Multiple-Handbooks/dp/1909431044

Edited by 33lima

Thanks jhb. I will be mainly modelling the 1990's - present period and i might pickup a BR class 150 DMU for repainting. I wonder how much of a difference there is between the Class 150 and the IE 2600. I would repaint it in the livery below

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19862[/ATTACH]

You might be interested in this, then, if you can find one second hand:

http://www.marksmodels.com/?pid=6452

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19862[/ATTACH]

This is what you want....... http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/112-2600-class-railcars

Hey guys,

I know DMU's usually arent very popular among rail fans because they replace our beloved standalone loco's but having grown up along the Dart Line i have a fondness for them. They dont really get much representation in the model world in Ireland yet. I was recently at the Bray Toys of Yesterday fair and Wrenneire showed me a beautiful respray of a BR DMU in a CIE livery which got me wondering what DMU/EMU's/Railcars have set foot in this country since rail began here. I see alot of great posts about locos etc but not much about this topic. Perhaps ive missed a post somewhere. Any history experts out there know more on this topic?

John, if you can get your hands on Journal 164 (October 2007) of the Irish Railway Record Society it has a potted history of Irish diesel railcars 1907-2007.

Hey guys,

Hi john83

When you were looking at wrennie's AEC Rail Car at Bray last, the DART was right behind you...

You can see more here;- http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/895-New-DART-8100-Model?p=74567&viewfull=1#post74567

Eoin