'Why do men love model railways?'

Rate this topic

Garfield

Nice find.

"Why?" ... cause we are kids at heart and like making and controlling our own little miniature world of escapism. The hobby is a legitimate means of constructing and playing with more sophisticated toys that don't cost the earth. :)

Sadly I'm not sure I agree with the optimistic conclusion of the piece in relation to demographics. I suspect there is a nostalgia age group bubble that has a limited lifespan.

From the article:

"Model train building is a nostalgia thing," a spokesman for the company said. "Dads and grandads alike are introducing their kids to it because it’s what they themselves grew up with – they either collected Hornby as a kid or they were around for genuine old steam trains."

Thanks so much for posting, Patrick. Story is on the right track. :)

• 1 month later...
Because we're Irish it's automatically assumed we love GAA* and drink to the exclusion of everything else?

(*Or maybe rugger in the case of a typical IT reader?)

Not exactly. More to do with the feeling that there hasn't really been a longstanding and sizeable tradition of Irish railway modelling, unlike elsewhere. If anything, if there is to be a tradition, it is being developed now.

Interesting..... can anyone here answer why we are all fascinated with it?

I'm sure there are many different answers. A bit like Catholicism - "it's so vague, and nobody really knows how it works....":ROFL:

I think it's to do with the feeling that you're actually making something that moves.

Interesting..... can anyone here answer why we are all fascinated with it?

Like it or not, in truth model railways are sophisticated "toys" and some of us are lucky enough to have kept some aspects of our inner child alive despite the process of age. The hobby appeals to and satisfies the curiosity of many different parts of the brain, from engineering, construction, visualisation, animation, imagination, operations, artistic, electronics, nostalgia, playability, research, etc. Basically we are still kids at heart.

Like it or not, in truth model railways are sophisticated "toys" and some of us are lucky enough to have kept some aspects of our inner child alive despite the process of age. The hobby appeals to and satisfies the curiosity of many different parts of the brain, from engineering, construction, visualisation, animation, imagination, operations, artistic, electronics, nostalgia, playability, research, etc. Basically we are still kids at heart.

Probably a bit of all those but I like the 3-D art explanation also. Personally, when I see an interesting railway scene in real life (Irish, Llangollen etc) I feel an creative urge to replicate this on a model particularly where kits/rtr items can be bashed/pressed into service. There is a fair bit of problem solving needed also to achieve an effect that satisfies the creative in all of us....