Early Plasser Tamping machines

Rate this question

Junctionmad

Question

my recollection is of early Plasser tamping machine in operation on the ballinacourty line, especially after the bridges were converted to tamper friendly construction . This must have been 75-78 or thereabouts

Is my recollection right and are there any pictures of the early tampers, how close is the Bachmann model to that era

Am I also right in thinking there is a preserved CIE tamping machine somewhere of that vintage ?

Dave

20 answers to this question

There are "yellow machines" at Downpatrick - vintage enough - but I'm pretty certain they are all of NIR origin. I'm unaware of any CIE ones anywhere.

jhb171senior recalled that during his watch, the GNR's first ever tamping machine was tried out on the INW between Ballybay and Dundalk at several places, as were concrete sleepers. All concerned murmured approvingly into their soup, so the contraption was deployed on the main line. This would have been about 1955-ish.

Incidentally, the trend of having all PW and maintenance equipment painted yellow is a comparatively modern phenomenon. Prior to 1980, while some was yellow, other stuff wasn't. Workers only started wearing day-glo in the late 80s. Prior to that, if anyone's portraying a maintenance scene on a layout, dungarees / overalls / donkey jackets are the only show in town. As are cigarettes in the workplace....

The old railway companies painted ballast wagons the same as their goods livery - i.e. inevitably grey. The GSWR used black.

(Additional note: the DCDR's plough van would originally have been all over black, with GSWR markings. Later, wagon grey (yes, chassis included) with GSWR markings. The GSR followed suit, as did CIE. It was never brown, as it now is, nor did it have a black chassis except when painted all-black. Just for info.)

Edited by jhb171achill

my recollection is of early Plasser tamping machine in operation on the ballinacourty line' date=' especially after the bridges were converted to tamper friendly construction . This must have been 75-78 or thereabouts Is my recollection right and are there any pictures of the early tampers, how close is the Bachmann model to that era Am I also right in thinking there is a preserved CIE tamping machine somewhere of that vintage ? Dave[/quote']

Be warned that the Bachmann model is HO scale, not OO. Britannia Pacific do a OO tamper which might be of use.

I have photos of PW ballast plough dating from 1906 which like Triggers brush, survived on the ballast until a few years ago, and as many snaps in between. I also have photos of a tamper on Albert Quay , courtesy of Garfield, having come from Portlaoise.

The tamper featured above is a rare beast, but I have 3, maybe 4 photos of it in a severely rusty state on both sides of the border in NIR and IR. The model above needs serious work to make it look like the one akin to here, and to make things more difficult, there was a similar vehicle re-issued years later that bears more than a passing resemblence. That's the one that Brittania Pacific model. If I get time on the Big Rig tomorrow, I'll upload what I have.

R.

Here is a picture i took of the Plasser Machine at Downpatrick and a picture of the Bachmann model beside MM156. The Plasser machine is HO and

very small beside the loco. Why do Bachmann sell this as OO when it clearly isn't?

Purely as people will buy them......economics

The Bachmann model was originally made by Liliput

Edited by Blaine

NIR had three MU07-16 tampers ('type 7', to you and I) - Nos. 5 and 6 from around 1976: I think No. 5 is at Ballymena, No. 6 was scrapped after being hit with a Hunslet. No. 7 is from 1978, and is of course at Downpatrick.

The other tamper at Downpatrick is 'HC1', the hedgecutter that was built as a tamper for NIR and converted. I don't know much about its history or make apart from the fact that it has a 'GM' engine! I will need a hoke around it for a works plate or something. It appears to have been a pretty early thing

Did Cie have similar models of tampers around 1976 ?

My recollection walking alongside one , was that it looked like the NI ones. It had a little four wheeled trolley that was 20 30 feet behind. I think it provided track levels ??

Oh for a camera then

Edited by Junctionmad

Here is a picture i took of the Plasser Machine at Downpatrick and a picture of the Bachmann model beside MM156. The Plasser machine is HO and

very small beside the loco. Why do Bachmann sell this as OO when it clearly isn't?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22266[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22267[/ATTACH]

Well that the Bachman one out of consideration , looks all wrong

If you can't stop the online order then there is a larger group of HO modelers out there that would be happier with the scale

It was from Marks Models, I mailed them to try and cancel before it ships tomorrow, if they can't stop it in time I've asked them will they accept a return with refund as they don't have it listed as a HO model on their site. It was an impluse buy along with an 071 I was getting in their sale.

If all else fails I'll pop it up for sale here at a knock down price.