Oxford Rail MK111 Coaches

Rate this topic

RedRich

What about the Silver Fox Mk3 puspull sets. I personally don't think they are are worth the price but appreciate the effort. At the same time I'd like something alot more accurate and detailed for the money. Even if/when Oxford do Irish Mk3s I'd love to see what team IRM would come out with. Oxford seem to be going for midrange price point, while Hornby Mk3s cost more yet not high end enough detail wise.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Noel said:

If I was a cynic I'd wonder if Ox just made some rumour noise to discourage potential competition from IRM. I'll believe the rumour if and only when I see their IE coaches which I doubt will be anytime soon (if ever).

Looking at Oxford's current effort I'd be very confident a proposed hypotethical IRM Mk3 would be the superior product.Yes it would cost more, have higher fidelity and features but worth it to the modelers that want as good as it can be for a little premium.

Edited by Railer
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Junctionmad said:

Interesting , while there are rumours are froth, Ive not seen any Oxford Rail announcement that they are actually going to do irish Rails variants , in fact they havent even confirmed they are doing the Chiltern auto plug door variant  which was derived from CIE engineering efforts .  They are at Model rail Scotland , so Ill ask them there directly 

P I know they said stuff at warley , but nothing has ever made it to their web site 

dave

Isnt the Hornby one current as well. 

Hornby don't do Mk3s in IE livery.

29 minutes ago, Garfield said:

Even so, once there's one set of IE Mk3s model on the market there's no point in doing another set...

I personally don't see Oxford doing an accurate Restaurant or EGVs or control car myself, never mind proper plug doors on the standards. Oxford are only going to do a respray at best of a wrong model Mk3, can't see anything more than that myself. 

26 minutes ago, Junctionmad said:

I Would have thought guys , since the news of Oxfords Mk3s isnt new, its been on the go since late 2015 , that it would have been very unlikely for IRM to then consider it, especially as the Hornby one also exists , strange you would have considered it 

dave

The Oxford Mark III was announced in 2016 and IRM was in existence before this date. Irish variations were confirmed to be on Oxford's radar after this date. Models such as these take significant time to plan, research and design.

There is an email confirmation published on this forum from the Oxford spokesperson sent to a member confirming their intention to do an Irish version. 

3 minutes ago, Railer said:

I personally don't see Oxford doing an accurate Restaurant or EGVs or control car myself, never mind proper plug doors on the standards. Oxford are only going to do a respray at best of a wrong model Mk3, can't see anything more than that myself. 

I'm not going to comment on what another manufacturer may or may not decide to do with an incoming product line, but as Fran said, it's off the table. 

• Thanks 1

I have no doubt IRM have many other really interesting projects planned for the Irish market.  This may turn out to be a blessing in disguise.  Not my era, but I suspect, there may even be more sales opportunities for IE mk4 than mk3 anyway.  Good luck guys whatever you have planned. :tumbsup:  Happy to wait.

3 hours ago, Noel said:

I have no doubt IRM have many other really interesting projects planned for the Irish market.  This may turn out to be a blessing in disguise.  Not my era, but I suspect, there may even be more sales opportunities for IE mk4 than mk3 anyway.  Good luck guys whatever you have planned. :tumbsup:  Happy to wait.

Recent survey on this site showed 1970s-1980s period to be most popular, so would say Mk3 models would be more popular than Mk4 models.  Both would still sell, but can't see Mk4's being more popular. 

Can totally understand the stance taken by IRM in view of Oxford's statement of intent to do Irish Mk3's. Loads of other models for IRM to pick from, and if they are as good as previous releases, they will be welcomed with open arms by Irish modellers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is a huge disappointment and PitA. I got a little out of sequence and thought it was going one be project 3 but #4 would have been fine. Personally I wanted a couple of rakes in Supertrain. Of all the models so lamented on this site.

8 hours ago, Railer said:

Absolutely agree, it's' not going to happen. As for Push/pull ....

3 hours ago, iarnrod said:

Recent survey on this site showed 1970s-1980s period to be most popular, so would say Mk3 models would be more popular than Mk4 models.  Both would still sell, but can't see Mk4's being more popular. 

Can totally understand the stance taken by IRM in view of Oxford's statement of intent to do Irish Mk3's. Loads of other models for IRM to pick from, and if they are as good as previous releases, they will be welcomed with open arms by Irish modellers.

I'm not sure. That being the case, wouldn't we be more likely to have seen ballasts in original CIE livery,  12 orange bubbles and six with the black chassis, Taras in blue initially rather than bauxite, and I doubt that Supertrain would be preferred above the later IC livery

Only going on what the results of that survey were. It's also the period that I model and have most interest in. The survey results did seem a little strange at the time considering CIE liveried models always seemed the last to sell out in the past, but maybe the greater availability of Irish RTR models in the last few years is making people more likely to model a certain era rather than just buy a model because it's available, Irish and RTR. Take the MM 184 and 187 models for example. First to sell out AFAIK when they were released as they were the first detailed loco on the Irish market and a significant level above the previous Lima 201's. Most modellers bought them for that reason alone. Just a thought.

Edited by iarnrod

The 70s/80s is a favorite period of mine although I have to say that the previous 2 decades were very interesting also. I think people tend to model what they know or have been associated with in some way. Anecdotally, older modellers seem more likely to model an earlier period than younger ones. Over the last few years I developed an interest in 1950s stock because I became more aware of that period (which predates me) through the site and books and that interest was maintained by the sheer variety of stock and profound changes occurring during that period. It is certainly easier to model what is available rtr as no modelling skills are required for rolling stock at least. Some on the site returned to modelling after many years absent after happening upon a new Irish outline MM diesel. The periodic availability of rtr models may stimulate modelers to model earlier periods so hopefully some of those may become available at some point but I'm not holding my breath. 

On 1/29/2018 at 4:37 PM, Noel said:

Not my era, but I suspect, there may even be more sales opportunities for IE mk4 than mk3 anyway. 

MK4 coaches beget a MK4 DVT and pairing with a suitable loco... and they run on a very restricted geographic area - plus they are as wide as yer wan's tail end, they'd look daft on 16.5mm track. Plus there are folk who give out about how they upset their seating and comfort, and I don't want to hear that debacle again! And as for the Mark 3's, though they hold a special place for me, the lads sum it up rightly. "Its off the table"

*unless I win the lotto...

• Funny 1

5 hours ago, Glenderg said:

MK4 coaches beget a MK4 DVT and pairing with a suitable loco... and they run on a very restricted geographic area

Hi Richie, thanks, understand those practicalities.  Re limited area, somewhat less restricted than the small route the Tara's ran on :) Is the long Cork main line not the busiest on the island.

5 hours ago, Glenderg said:

. . .plus they are as wide as yer wan's tail end, they'd look daft on 16.5mm track.

:) At least the flowing sculpted lines of the mk4 DVT is a thing of great beauty, unlike the Frankensteins head that is the De Dietrich DVT.  Would they be wider than the cravens?  Noel

PS: Thought it was the 22k ICR seats that folk found uncomfortably hard compared to the soft comfy mk3 seats.

54 minutes ago, Noel said:

:) At least the flowing sculpted lines of the mk4 DVT is a thing of great beauty, unlike the Frankensteins head that is the De Dietrich DVT.  Would they be wider than the cravens?  Noel

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder Noel, but famin’ Nora those yokes look like Daffy Duck!

• Funny 1

7 hours ago, Glenderg said:

... and they run on a very restricted geographic area 

I don't get this as a point against a valid successful oo model. Tara wagons only run Navan to Alexandra Road with trips to Limerick works as required. Shale wagons, (which I'm looking forward to aswell BTW) are even more limited in run area.

In regards to gauge, thats just something we deal with, has to be overlooked for the greater good and all that.... 

But yeah, the CAF Mk4s can stay on the very long finger imo, so much more interesting Irish models to cover.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Warbonnet said:

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder Noel, but famin’ Nora those yokes look like Daffy Duck!

Ah now Fran, I don't think its fair on 'daffy' to compare his looks to the DD DVT :)  Daffy was just a duck, he wasn't hit with an ugly stick unlike the DD.