Ballyercall (New Irish Layout

Rate this topic

NIRCLASS80

• 1 month later...

2 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

what chip/speaker combo is that?  sounds different to both of mine (which sound different to each other!)

Its a free download sound file from ESU with a Irish horn style added. I just edited myself. The speaker is also upgraded from the standard one. 

Edited by NIRCLASS80
  • Informative 1

24 minutes ago, irishthump said:

Great videos! What decoders are you using in the 201's?

The 201’s are fitted with a Loksound Select.  These decoders came in Canadian models that I purchased over the years and I just swapped them between the locos. They have all the functionality of any Loksound for lights etc but you can’t edit the sound files so no horn sound!

53 minutes ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

The 201’s are fitted with a Loksound Select.  These decoders came in Canadian models that I purchased over the years and I just swapped them between the locos. They have all the functionality of any Loksound for lights etc but you can’t edit the sound files so no horn sound!

Yeah but I think the Loksounds drive better than any other brand of decoder. The throttle to motor sound response is terrific and the drive hold and coast features are so much fun.

48 minutes ago, irishthump said:

Yeah but I think the Loksounds drive better than any other brand of decoder. The throttle to motor sound response is terrific and the drive hold and coast features are so much fun.

I converted most of my GMs to LokSound, but I have a soft spot for the Zimo 'Real Drive' mode. It has genuine coasting. If I get a 141 up to scale 70mph with a 4 coach train but zero the throttle she will coast 3 or 4 laps of the layout (ie 200ft) and need the application of brakes to stop her (ie just like the prototype). The Zimo is my favourite to drive but the LokSound projects sound better. Both can simulate trashing starting off with a heavy train, but the Zimo project sounds a bit tinny compared to the proper guttural EMD. The Zimo was actually recorded off a live Irish 141 but it wasn't a great sample to record and doesn't sound the best. The LokSound is using stock US EMD 567 and EMD 645 engine prime mover recordings which sound more like Irish GMs. The latest LokSound projects I have from WheelTappers have some customised features I like:

• Cascading coupling snatch at start (ie simulating a trains of loose coupled wagons taking up the slack as 3 link couplings become in tension)
  • Cascading buffer clash when stopping (ie simulating an unbaked train of loose coupled 2 axle wagons buffering up one wagon at a time in compression)
  • Rail joint clank - speed dependant
  • Flange screech/squeal
  • Long distant horn (ie sounds like a GM 1/2 mile away)
  • Short horn used in shunting
  • Coupling and uncoupling sequences armed automatic for stop

The coasting on the LokSound V5 chips is much improved over the V4 and actually requires braking to stop the train at the right spot. LokSound v Zimo in terms of hardware is like splitting hairs, but the projects available on LokSound seem to have better recordings for the baby GMs inc 121. I've had the daft walkway foot steps sequence removed when direction is changed. This was a total nuisance when shunting rapidly needing to change direction. 

Edited by Noel

I must admit I set up the sound decoder functions to suit my own preference as I found that there was a lot of sound options not used. So mine are simply as follows.

F0 - Marker lights and light master switch

F1 - Engine start up / shutdown 

F2 - Horn

F3 - Drive Hold

F4 - Main headlight (F0 must be on as well)

F5 - Coupling sound effect

F6 - Rear Lights (F0 must be on as well)

F7- Coasting

F8 - Cablights

F9 - Guards Whistle

F10 - Rail squeal

I can’t be bothered with anything else. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

I must admit I set up the sound decoder functions to suit my own preference as I found that there was a lot of sound options not used. So mine are simply as follows.

F2 - Horn

F3 - Drive Hold

F7- Coasting

F8 - Cablights

F9 - Guards Whistle

F10 - Rail squeal

Yeah I do the same. This is the reason I think the Lokprogrammer is just essential, it allows you to map the functions to your own specs without having to rely on another supplier to do it for you.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Noel said:

I converted most of my GMs to LokSound, but I have a soft spot for the Zimo 'Real Drive' mode. It has genuine coasting. If I get a 141 up to scale 70mph with a 4 coach train but zero the throttle she will coast 3 or 4 laps of the layout (ie 200ft) and need the application of brakes to stop her (ie just like the prototype). The Zimo is my favourite to drive but the LokSound projects sound better. Both can simulate trashing starting off with a heavy train, but the Zimo project sounds a bit tinny compared to the proper guttural EMD. The Zimo was actually recorded off a live Irish 141 but it wasn't a great sample to record and doesn't sound the best. The LokSound is using stock US EMD 567 and EMD 645 engine prime mover recordings which sound more like Irish GMs. The latest LokSound projects I have from WheelTappers have some customised features I like:

• Cascading coupling snatch at start (ie simulating a trains of loose coupled wagons taking up the slack as 3 link couplings become in tension)
  • Cascading buffer clash when stopping (ie simulating an unbaked train of loose coupled 2 axle wagons buffering up one wagon at a time in compression)
  • Rail joint clank - speed dependant
  • Flange screech/squeal
  • Long distant horn (ie sounds like a GM 1/2 mile away)
  • Short horn used in shunting
  • Coupling and uncoupling sequences armed automatic for stop

The coasting on the LokSound V5 chips is much improved over the V4 and actually requires braking to stop the train at the right spot. LokSound v Zimo in terms of hardware is like splitting hairs, but the projects available on LokSound seem to have better recordings for the baby GMs inc 121. I've had the daft walkway foot steps sequence removed when direction is changed. This was a total nuisance when shunting rapidly needing to change direction. 

I haven't tried the V5 yet but I had heard that they addressed the problem with acc/dec on their decoders which was long overdue. They also introduced a feature where you can simulate a heavy train or running light engine. This can be assigned to a function key of your choice.

To be honest a lot of those bespoke sounds are very gimmicky and are only of use in some specific circumstances. Its not hard to create them yourself with the Lokprogrammer but I haven't had the time to jump down that rabbit hole! All credit to the likes of wheeltappers but they're not exactly reinventing the wheel with their sound projects as the vast majority of the sound files needed are free to download.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, irishthump said:

I haven't tried the V5 yet but I had heard that they addressed the problem with acc/dec on their decoders which was long overdue. They also introduced a feature where you can simulate a heavy train or running light engine. This can be assigned to a function key of your choice.

To be honest a lot of those bespoke sounds are very gimmicky and are only of use in some specific circumstances. Its not hard to create them yourself with the Lokprogrammer but I haven't had the time to jump down that rabbit hole! All credit to the likes of wheeltappers but they're not exactly reinventing the wheel with their sound projects as the vast majority of the sound files needed are free to download.

Hi Graham, I just got delivery of an LokProgrmmer on your recommendation but it will probably be the winter months before I get around to playing with it proper and the steep learning curve to do anything useful with it. WheelTappers can do remote decoder re-blows for customers who have one. Going to experiment and try things like doppler effect, distance loco sounds, etc. More rail gadgets to play with. Choo-Choo. Got a great price from ModelBahnShop-Lippe in germany, postage was only €3.90 so its good bye from me to the UK online rip off merchants and their extortionate prices of all things DCC.

Most projects have upwards of 20 functions but I tend to use only 8 most of the time.

• Prime mover - engine noise
  • Horn short + long distant
  • Lights
  • Braking noise
  • Flange squeal
  • Guards whistle
  • Rail clank
  • Buffer clash

Rarely use all the other obscure stuff like shovelling coal, or compressor fans, etc. I don't think I could go back to driving a model loco without sound. Planning to experiment with static layout noises using an old tablet hooked up to a PC speaker (eg ambient noises, station bustle, traffic, birds, station announcements) and just play them in a loop (eg from edited mp3 files).

Noel

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Noel said:

Hi Graham, I just got delivery of an LokProgrmmer on your recommendation but it will probably be the winter months before I get around to playing with it proper and the steep learning curve to do anything useful with it. WheelTappers can do remote decoder re-blows for customers who have one. Going to experiment and try things like doppler effect, distance loco sounds, etc. More rail gadgets to play with. Choo-Choo. Got a great price from ModelBahnShop-Lippe in germany, postage was only €3.90 so its good bye from me to the UK online rip off merchants and their extortionate prices of all things DCC.

Most projects have upwards of 20 functions but I tend to use only 8 most of the time.

• Prime mover - engine noise
  • Horn short + long distant
  • Lights
  • Braking noise
  • Flange squeal
  • Guards whistle
  • Rail clank
  • Buffer clash

Rarely use all the other obscure stuff like shovelling coal, or compressor fans, etc. I don't think I could go back to driving a model loco without sound. Planning to experiment with static layout noises using an old tablet hooked up to a PC speaker (eg ambient noises, station bustle, traffic, birds, station announcements) and just play them in a loop (eg from edited mp3 files).

Noel

I guarantee you wont look back after getting the Lokprogrammer!

I fully agree about the prices from UK suppliers. Even the blank decoders have a crazy mark up compared to buying from Modelbahnne Lippe and the like.

BTW building your own sound templates is something that has a learning curve but simply loading downloadable files and tweaking the sounds can be learned in an afternoon, it really is that simple.

Edited by irishthump
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, irishthump said:

I guarantee you wont look back after getting the Lokprogrammer!

I fully agree about the prices from UK suppliers. Even the blank decoders have a crazy mark up compared to buying from Modelbahnne Lippe and the like.

BTW building your own sound templates is something that has a learning curve but simply loading downloadable files and tweaking the sounds can be learned in an afternoon, it really is that simple.

I'm looking forward to it. Only bummer is it doesn't run on Mac so I will have to tolerate Windoze under VMware. I dislike Windoze more than Android and even more than 22k trams 🤣

19 hours ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

F2 - Horn

F3 - Drive Hold

F7- Coasting

F8 - Cablights

F9 - Guards Whistle

F10 - Rail squeal

I must admit the baby GM sound is absoluty fab stuff, Just love it!! Cracking layout too!

Edited by Georgeconna
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Georgeconna said:

I must admit the baby GM sound is absoluty fab stuff, Just love it!! Creaking layout too!

Ive just started programming my own locos with the various ESU files that are now available. There's a great variety, I hope to post a video or two soon but be warned my layout is nowhere near as pretty as NIRCLASS80's!!!

• Funny 1