Ballyercall (New Irish Layout

Rate this topic

NIRCLASS80

9 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

Boys toys arrived...

20200415_121708.jpg

Enjoy your programmer.  My advice is always save the original sound file then as you make changes use the “save as” option, so that when you mess up you always have something to go back to quickly!  😁

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

18 minutes ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

Enjoy your programmer.  My advice is always save the original sound file then as you make changes use the “save as” option, so that when you mess up you always have something to go back to quickly!  😁

"When" - not "if"....

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Midland Man said:

Hey there @NIRCLASS80

what camera/phone doe you use to those perfect photos + doe you use liting and if what type?

9 hours ago, Rob said:

Great question-   always wondered what camera work best for photographing layouts-  l know it varies & depends on the person taking it too, but would be good to know.

I use a mixture of Canon digital SLR 1200D and iPhone SE images and videos. Some photos I carry out a HDR process which is available free from Canon. My lighting is a cheap LED strip lighting, warm effect. I have attached a photo of the lighting. Thanks for your questions lads. 

image.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

2 hours ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

My lighting is a cheap LED strip lighting, warm effect. I have attached a photo of the lighting.

This strip lighting - excuse my ignorance, how does it work? Is it some sort of plug-in thing? Is it good for lighting up a layout where the natural light isn’t great?

3 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

This strip lighting - excuse my ignorance, how does it work? Is it some sort of plug-in thing? Is it good for lighting up a layout where the natural light isn’t great?

Ok I will try to explain.  LED Strip lighting comes in various lengths.  The version I purchased is warm white and it has a sticky back.  You simply peel off the backing and stick it up wherever required.  You buy the length required and also a small transformer.  I am pretty sure you can buy the complete kit, (transformer, lighting strip) from hardware, DIY, amazon etc.

image.jpg

56D71E75-1AC6-470F-9065-4EE73516030C.jpeg

Edited by NIRCLASS80
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

Ok I will try to explain.  LED Strip lighting comes in various lengths.  The version I purchased is warm white and it has a sticky back.  You simply peel off the backing and stick it up wherever required.  You buy the length required and also a small transformer.  I am pretty sure you can buy the complete kit, (transformer, lighting strip) from hardware, DIY, amazon etc.

Thank you - if your photos of your layout are anything to go by, I think I will get this stuff - it looks very natural and realistic. That transformer thing - do you attach a plug to it and just plug it in? Is that the way it works?

3 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Thank you - if your photos of your layout are anything to go by, I think I will get this stuff - it looks very natural and realistic. That transformer thing - do you attach a plug to it and just plug it in? Is that the way it works?

Just a normal plug. The room lighting is LED spotlights as well. 

• Like 1

You can get the strip as (cuttable) self-adhesive rolls or as 'solid, plug-together' strips. The necessary transformers can be separate items or the direct 'plug-in the socket' type.

You can even get strips where you can control the 'colour temperature', so you can alter the 'weather' and the 'time of day'.

Kralovstvi Zeleznic in Prague has a section which cycles through the whole 24 hours every fifteen minutes, although they were using fluorescent tubes for that when I went around 2010-ish.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

LEDhut are my 'go to' for lighting. They sell self adhesive strips with up to 70 LEDs per metre, in a wide range of formats, though I find 'cool white' works well. Fintonagh is 50cm deep and uses two strips, one above the front edge and one along the middle of the scenic area.

The front strip is stuck to the pelmet, the middle strip is in its own 'tube' which LED hut also sell. It's a length of aluminium extrusion, with a clip on plastic diffuser. Works a treat and prevent heir service is excellent.

• Informative 1

18 minutes ago, David Holman said:

LEDhut are my 'go to' for lighting. They sell self adhesive strips with up to 70 LEDs per metre, in a wide range of formats, though I find 'cool white' works well. Fintonagh is 50cm deep and uses two strips, one above the front edge and one along the middle of the scenic area.

The front strip is stuck to the pelmet, the middle strip is in its own 'tube' which LED hut also sell. It's a length of aluminium extrusion, with a clip on plastic diffuser. Works a treat and prevent heir service is excellent.

Yes I would imagine cool white would work well. I have cool white spotlights in the rest of the room. It’s very much trial and error for the location. 

Been following this project for a while. Your layout is stunning! The DCC Sound really brings that final bit of realism to one of the best layouts I’ve ever seen! Please keep up the good work, it’s something I can only aspire to... We are so lucky on this forum to have so many talented modellers. Thank you for giving me the inspiration to finish the test layout and move on to my finescale project - only 5 years later! A wonderful showcase of a great Irish layout.

NIR 450 ‘Castle’ Class

Edited by NIR 450 ‘Castle’ Class
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

I have had the single 141’s and 181’s pulling18 bogies!  Without a slip!😂

That's impressive. I had baby GM wheel slip with only 8 bogies but improved after following recommended fix.

BTW, love the footage and track work 

Edited by Noel
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Noel said:

That's impressive. I had baby GM wheel slip with only 8 bogies but improved after following recommended fix.

BTW, love the footage and track work 

Noel I have carried out a modification to the bogies on the Liner wagons and so far I am pleased with the results. If they behave ok for a couple of months I will get a detail description together. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative 1