Ballyercall (New Irish Layout

Rate this topic

NIRCLASS80

15 hours ago, Georgeconna said:

I'd be banging up and few words and some good photos and sending them off to Model Rail, Get a few quid for yourself too.

Smashing job on the magnet gubbins too!

You may be better off with Railway Modeller as they do publish articles on Irish layouts.  Model rail don't do overseas articles, as I  made enquires to them once.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, irishmail said:

You may be better off with Railway Modeller as they do publish articles on Irish layouts.  Model rail don't do overseas articles, as I  made enquires to them once.

Did not George Dent do some Irish Stuff and they also review the Irish Models too so thats a wee be odd?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, irishmail said:

Mmmm...

Would that include an NIR layout?

Or even IoW?

Or do they, perhaps, mean the physical location of the actual layout?

I think you could still try Model Rail as the new editor appears to like Irish railways and they did do an article on Andy Cundick Layout in the last one or two issues, I am not sure how much it would cost but I was thinking of asking their full time layout designer to come up with a full working layout based on the Donegal and the Swilly in the space of say 30ft x 30ft.

Colin

Edited by Colin R
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

I very much doubt that Ballyercall will ever make the modelling magazines.  I don't think my standard is high enough.

Just a few more photos.  Glad some enjoy the photos and videos.

10421 3.JPG

10421 4.JPG

10421 6.JPG

Hi NIRCLASS80,  From your videos and phots that looks a superb layout.  Very impressive and a lot of work has gone into it.   

Why don't you initially email a few sample images to the editor of Railway Modeller with maybe a link to this thread of your layout and take it from there.  Email   railway-modeller@btconnect.com 

Regards,  John

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Very much good enough for the model press! Would make an interesting article, especially as something that isn't the usual branch line terminus. With all the adverts for models of Irish diesels, it would be great to see them in a proper setting. Plus, as we all know here of course, it is a layout that operates really well too.

RM pay about £35 a page, including pictures, so not to be sniffed at either. They like as high a resolution as possible for photos, but are happy to turn sketch plans for track layouts into quality art work. Then there is the best thrill of seeing your own work in print. Go for it!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

What the Lads say, There has been plenty of Layouts in MR that don't in my eyes cut the mustard so to speak and they do have loads of repeats too. 

This Layout speaks in volumes with your pictures and is fantastic in its a simplistic layout and in the way you don't have tons and tons of stuff on it crowding out the message Signals, Points working, Magnetic Gubbins and you do your own sounds. Don't get nowhere without trying!

A lad from Kerry used to pop into Marks regular, His modelling was funded by lobbing in articles of his latest builds, Barrow Roundhouse was one. 

Keep bashing up the photos though.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

I very much doubt that Ballyercall will ever make the modelling magazines.  I don't think my standard is high enough.

Just a few more photos.  Glad some enjoy the photos and videos.

10421 3.JPG

10421 4.JPG

10421 6.JPG

Why not that is a very good standard you have modeled too, I would suggest one thing I would try to weather the locos a bit not to much, just to take the shine off the model a bit, try a very weak black/grey wash from a water based paint. either brush it or use an old fluff free rag to wipe a light coat over the body, try it on an old model first to get the idea. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2021 at 2:10 PM, NIRCLASS80 said:

Nonsense! Your work is as good as any (and better than alot) of the work that I have seen in the those magazines.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Hi Guys just to give you all a bit of the heads up, I have just emailed a friend of mine at Peco and they were not aware of this forum, so now they have a link so don't be surprised if you get asked about your modelling from them, it would be good to see some of these layouts in the magazine and also some of the how to do it articles as well.

Edited by Colin R
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, Colin R said:

Hi Guys just to give you all a bit of the heads up, I have just emailed a friend of mine at Peco and they were not aware of this forum, so now they have a link so don't be surprised if you get asked about your modelling from them, it would be good to see some of these layouts in the magazine and also some of the how to do it articles as well.

After previous encouragement earlier in the thread I contacted Railway Modeller about an article on my layout.  They were very interested and I submitted everything requested. Haven’t heard from them since, that’s 5 months. 
I made them aware of this forum back then. 

• Like 3

Sometimes it can be quite a few months before they publish articles,  I think that the articles for RM is usually planned two or three months in advance. 

I subscribe to the Railway Modeller and will look forward to reading about your layout when it is eventually published.

Regards,

John

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

After previous encouragement earlier in the thread I contacted Railway Modeller about an article on my layout.  They were very interested and I submitted everything requested. Haven’t heard from them since, that’s 5 months. 
I made them aware of this forum back then. 

Speaking to Andrew Burnham today he told me that at the moment RM and CM are working at half speed since so many of the staff are still off with things to do with the Covid Virus so  they are way behind with articles on layouts at the moment.

Edited by Colin R
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 2

Have done a fair few articles for RM over the years and the gap between acceptance and publication can be anything up to a year. Where possible, they like to do some articles that come out just before an exhibition (remember those?), but also like to group things under various themes.

Was lucky enough to be given a private tour of the Peco site by Andrew Burnham a few years ago. It has a real 'family' feel about it and the workforce is largely local, but it is also highly professional, with lots of cutting edge equipment alongside old school skills. The RM offices are surprisingly small, but then everything is computer based, with printing and so on off site.

Pecorama itself is a delight. The gardens are stunning and the miniature railway is fantastic. Well worth a visit if you are in the area.

• Like 4
  • Informative 2