Ballyercall (New Irish Layout

Rate this topic

NIRCLASS80

Super sequence, love the prototypical driving. The 3173 BCK looks great, love the see through grills. Are they part of a detailing kit you sourced? Did you respray a few cravens to match the RPSI set. A rake of six looks well. Noticed some of the coaches didn't have the MM/RPSI wobble. Trackwork looks epic. Class all round. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Noel said:

Super sequence, love the prototypical driving. The 3173 BCK looks great, love the see through grills. Are they part of a detailing kit you sourced? Did you respray a few cravens to match the RPSI set. A rake of six looks well. Noticed some of the coaches didn't have the MM/RPSI wobble. Trackwork looks epic. Class all round. 👍

3173 is a Bachmann Mk1 with brass overlays fitted and sprayed with BR maroon and transfers fitted from Railtech. 
Still work required to beef up the underframe. It’s more a model to represent the van rather than an accurate model with exact details.  Here’s a link to the brass sides. 

https://www.mousa.biz/fourmm/coach/sides/CIE/cie_sides4.html#cie-mk-1-steam-heat-boiler-van

Thanks for the positive comments 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, irishthump said:

Yes please! I've done the same with my locos but I'm always interested in any techniques I can steal!

Ok here goes. Firstly one word of caution is that this worked ok for me on my layout with a minimum radius of 24inches. 
Cut off coupling mount from the locomotive’s bogie. 
Then take the valance in the detail pack and cut a small slot. 
Then glue a NEM coupler pocket to the back of the valance in line with the slot. 
Once the glue is dried fit the Kadee NEM style coupler. 
Then fit to loco. I haven’t glued this to the loco and so far haven’t had any issues. 
Hope the photos make this all clear. 
Total time 30 minutes both ends. 

6E059CA7-9EDE-48EA-AF74-7821D267793C.jpeg

D4B40701-9D81-4843-8875-5E6027BC43F5.jpeg

ABC60767-607F-42DE-8084-C5E9E226B9A8.jpeg

AE6ED1D9-4138-4A6A-A0C0-47690701210D.jpeg

227989F8-5DCF-4076-864B-932D3D126C1E.jpeg

89D2268E-7F49-44D2-AEF1-C74996151ED9.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Informative 2

That's nice, neat work. My version was a little more involved

1 hour ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

Ok here goes. Firstly one word of caution is that this worked ok for me on my layout with a minimum radius of 24inches. 
Cut off coupling mount from the locomotive’s bogie. 
Then take the valance in the detail pack and cut a small slot. 
Then glue a NEM coupler pocket to the back of the valance in line with the slot. 
Once the glue is dried fit the Kadee NEM style coupler. 
Then fit to loco. I haven’t glued this to the loco and so far haven’t had any issues. 
Hope the photos make this all clear. 
Total time 30 minutes both ends. 

That's neat work. My own method was a but more invoved...

Like you mentioned I was'nt confident the NEM couplers would pivot enough for tighter curves so I installed draft box Kadees instead.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

• 3 weeks later...

Great video. Do you only use the Drive Hold and Coast functions to drive the loco? What values do you program to Acceleration and Deceleration?

The way I set up my locos I put the Independent Brake function on F3 and set deceleration to maximum (255). I only use Drive Hold if simulating starting a heavy train. I never use Coast as with the high Dec value you simple turn the throttle down to 0, let the train coast and stop it with the brake on F3. I find this is very realistic way to drive the loco.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, irishthump said:

Great video. Do you only use the Drive Hold and Coast functions to drive the loco? What values do you program to Acceleration and Deceleration?

The way I set up my locos I put the Independent Brake function on F3 and set deceleration to maximum (255). I only use Drive Hold if simulating starting a heavy train. I never use Coast as with the high Dec value you simple turn the throttle down to 0, let the train coast and stop it with the brake on F3. I find this is very realistic way to drive the loco.

In normal usage I would just use F3 but I just wanted to show the coast option. 
I set acceleration at 160 and deceleration at 120. 

13 minutes ago, DART8118 said:

Agreed, a great video.  Did you say you did something special to get the red lights both showing at cab and bonnet ends for parking?

Just mapped the functions using the Lokprogrammer 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DART8118 said:

Thanks.  Don't have a Lokprogrammer and thought it might be something I could set with CVs on my controller.

Sorry but I haven’t a clue what CV’s effect what as I have used a Lokprogrammer for years. 
Does anyone think there would be a market for a decoder programming service?

• Like 1

Just now, NIRCLASS80 said:

Sorry but I haven’t a clue what CV’s effect what as I have used a Lokprogrammer for years. 

I'd say there might be a few modellers who may want the 121 decoder set up for independently controlled lighting.

When you make adjustments to the function mapping in the Lokprogrammer software if you click on the tools tab there is an option to show which CV's have been changed.

1 hour ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

Excellent video tutorial! I would say yes, definitely, regarding the programming service. I was talking with some fellow modellers only the other day about this and we were all in agreement that this would be a good idea!!

Edited by fishplate7

• 3 weeks later...