Ballyercall (New Irish Layout

Rate this topic

NIRCLASS80

9 minutes ago, murphaph said:

The 80 class is actually perhaps the most "useful" of all the multiple units for Irish layouts in general, north or south, post 1974. They got about as you well know @jhb171achill. Even in NIR guise they were seen across much of the CIE/IE network as scheduled and special trains regularly enough I would say. Definitely no need to stretch Rule 1 to run an 80 Class in either NIR or patched IR liveries on most of our layouts I would imagine.

That was my point, exactly. They did all three large cities and also were regulars on the Belfast - Dublin line with special trains, the "Peace Train", substitute Enterprises, rugby, GAA and other special trains, and so on.

They appear at Clonmel on a normal SCHEDULED service in "Rails Through Tipperary" and they appear at Ennis and Clarecastle on a GAA train in "Rails Through the West".

As you say, that is by no means a complete list of their travels.

It relates to a point I've made before. In modelling any line in any era, there are certain "must-haves", without which a layout even loosely based on that era and place is simply not possible. Without endlessly listing these again, we're looking (for CIE) at AEC railcars, "H" vans and "tin vans" for 1950-70, ICRs for modern times and container flats; and for NIR we absolutely need a "Jeep" plus AECs again for the 1960s, and Mk 2 coaches and 80 class railcars for the mid-70s onwards. Other stuff too; but with an 80 it's quite possible to model NIR without, say, the NCC breakdown crane, but no matter how accurate a model of that is, it won't convince anyone it's NIR unless there's an 80 there too. The 80 class may thus be taken as a "staple". I can think of eight livery variations off the top'o'me'ead, and that's before we consider several one-off centre cars, so there is huge scope for variations of a model of one of these, as there was / is with an A class.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

The lads at IRM know my persistent requests for a NIR 80 Class!  There is a vast quantity of colour schemes. 

Can I have 81 in Suburban Livery with "The Boys Brigade" nameplates!!! 

Although the sound chip of the hunting tick over it had for years could be a problem and the sparks out of the exhaust as it departs on full thrash could also be challenging!!!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Galteemore said:Getting an 80 was an average day. A good day was a 70 class. A rubbish day was a 450 class!!!

Sums it up perfectly!

Barring MEDs, or some if the old MPDs, no two of which seemed alike, the 450 or “Castle” class railcars were by light years the worst rolling stock to travel in since the last MGWR unfitted cattle wagon was scrapped. Awful things, and of minus zero railway interest……

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 31/12/2021 at 2:12 PM, NIRCLASS80 said:

Well the layout is stripped and Ballyercall is officially closed. Thanks for all the positive feedback and comments over the years. Happy new year to everyone. 
Here’s a few images from the last couple of days of operation. 

83A03086-FD31-4F56-AD88-ADBE14E92528.jpeg

202D8909-D0B0-4E1C-8569-8C8413B07098.jpeg

94951B77-5149-4199-B908-FB0D7AE3C77A.jpeg

Love the tall grass on some of these photos.  How did you do it?  Is it static grass?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JohnMcGahern said:

Love the tall grass on some of these photos.  How did you do it?  Is it static grass?

Yes static grass. I’m sorry I can’t really give you details as my modelling gear is currently all packed up other than it was from the WWS grass range.  It’s available on eBay. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 17/1/2018 at 9:46 PM, NIRCLASS80 said:

Well it’s been slow going. 

First decision was what track to go for?  After looking at many options I have taken the plunge for the new Peco bullhead rail. I know the width of the track isn’t correct but for my own sanity and to speed things up and bullhead was common in Ireland until the 1990’s. 

BA4AC6DC-F957-4613-9608-1EF7091140EE.jpeg

Just starting a new Irish layout set in the 1960s and going with the Peco Bullhead, reason, the spacing of the sleepers makes the 16.5 look wider , a bit pricey for the points but the fiddle yard will be setrack so cheaper. www.hon30dawes.com

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Rob said:

Look forward to seeing progress 👍

Follow all my layouts on hon30dawes.co.uk

On 17/1/2018 at 9:46 PM, NIRCLASS80 said:

Well it’s been slow going. 

First decision was what track to go for?  After looking at many options I have taken the plunge for the new Peco bullhead rail. I know the width of the track isn’t correct but for my own sanity and to speed things up and bullhead was common in Ireland until the 1990’s. 

BA4AC6DC-F957-4613-9608-1EF7091140EE.jpeg

Just starting a new Irish layout set in the 1960s and going with the Peco Bullhead, reason, the spacing of the sleepers makes the 16.5 look wider , a bit pricey for the points but the fiddle yard will be setrack so cheaper. www.hon30dawes.com

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...