'Huge' Model Railway in 'De Paper'

Rate this topic

Georgeconna

Over in Brugg Switzerland, there is a model railway built by 3 successive generations of the Lang Family who own a private hotel ; the Hotel Terminus opposite the station. The layout is housed on the entire top floor of the hotel and is some 60 feet x 80feet , Gauge 1 and Gauge 0. THis is the web site which includes a history of the layout and a photo gallery

http://eisenbahn.terminus-brugg.ch/geschichte-en.html

I have stayed at the Hotel over 20 times and on one visit Alfred Lang showed me a Gauge 1 british loco acquired by his grandfather before WWII which he didn't know what the prototype was. It was a North British Railway Atlantic 4-4-2 in original livery.

There were also numerous Denver & Rio Grande ON3 brass narrow gauge locos on display.

I began to understand why Swiss Hotels are so pricey!

Ernie

• Informative 1

2 minutes ago, irishthump said:

How big is it? The article doesn't give dimensions and it doesn't look THAT big.....

I visually it looks somewhere between 20-25ft x 8ft but camera lens can play strange games and make things look bigger - or smaller! :) Its big but not massive by any means.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Noel said:

I visually it looks somewhere between 20-25ft x 8ft but camera lens can play strange games and make things look bigger - or smaller! :) Its big but not massive by any means.

No that's not big. I'm extending the main run on my own layout which will make it 17x14, even that is bigger by area.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, irishthump said:

No that's not big. I'm extending the main run on my own layout which will make it 17x14, even that is bigger by area.

In the words of Fr Ted, Careful now, we could end up being confused by "These layouts are small, but the ones out there are far away" :) 

• Funny 1

20 minutes ago, minister_for_hardship said:

These are journalists. They refer to diesel hauled trains as 'choo-choos'.

In our home my family commonly refer to the layout as "Dad's train set", or "The Trains" :) Eye of the beholder and all that. 

1 hour ago, Noel said:

In the words of Fr Ted, Careful now, we could end up being confused by "These layouts are small, but the ones out there are far away" :) 

I believe that there is a thing called Crilly's Law - it's very similar to Godwin's Law about the likelihood of Nazism being referred to in an internet discussion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

"The longer an internet discussion carries on about the size of something, the more likely it is that Ted Crilly's explanation of perspective will be referred to."

• Funny 1

I’ve been to one layout which is regularly featured here. I’m certain that it’s at least as big, if not bigger.

The late jhb171Senior had an O gauge layout some 70ft X 20ft, I reckon; double track throughout with a return loop at one end and a branchline up the middle. Sadly long gone now!

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 1
  • WOW! 1