Shapeways Bedford School Bus

Rate this topic

GM071

Hi All,

Just checking-in to see if anyone has any info regarding the Shapeways irish bus kits and whether the Bedford school bus is due to come back on stream in 1 : 76 size or matching OO gauge in size? I missed out when it was live on the site and of course its been gone from the website for sometime now.:((

Any info on this?

Cheers

GM071

Hi All,

Just checking-in to see if anyone has any info regarding the Shapeways irish bus kits and whether the Bedford school bus is due to come back on stream in 1 : 76 size or matching OO gauge in size? I missed out when it was live on the site and of course its been gone from the website for sometime now.:((

Any info on this?

Cheers

GM071

I was wondering the same myself.

The Guy that was involved with the bus said on the old site

that there was a problem with a window and would be back

for sale soon,but that was ages ago?.

I was wondering the same myself.

The Guy that was involved with the bus said on the old site

that there was a problem with a window and would be back

for sale soon,but that was ages ago?.

Nigel has given an update on Garaiste. He has been busy working over the summer and is waiting for a suitable material to use for the schoolbuses and other projects. He hopes to announce something at the October show.

Well worth investing in when these School buses are re-released,

I was lucky the first time around...

Here are a few on mine on my layout-ideal for any Irish 1970s-1990s themed layout....

Long version-plated front

Short version-original front,small windscreen

Short version-original front,large windscreen,

Near bus has original front with large windscreen.

image-3163035051.jpg

image-3075107251.jpg

image-2862062126.jpg

image-2892494581.jpg

image-3163035051.jpg

image-3075107251.jpg

image-2862062126.jpg

image-2892494581.jpg

Well worth investing in when these School buses are re-released,

I was lucky the first time around...

Here are a few on mine on my layout-ideal for any Irish 1970s-1990s themed layout....

[ATTACH]2178[/ATTACH]

Long version-plated front

[ATTACH]2179[/ATTACH]

Short version-original front,small windscreen

[ATTACH]2180[/ATTACH]

Short version-original front,large windscreen,

[ATTACH]2181[/ATTACH]

Near bus has original front with large windscreen.

Lovely job on those buses Noel,I have to get me one

when they are for sale again as I think they set off any

recent Irish layout.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Apologies for the long hiatus in information. I haven't had the time to dedicate to the project recently, so not getting much done. I am currently making a few small alterations to one of the schoolbus variants to experiment with a different manufacturer and material. If the result is suitable, I can make these available again, although they may be a tad more expensive. I was hoping to avoid extra expense, as they were dear enough as things stand.

I think I may give up on Shapeways. I raised a few issues with them over a year ago, and was promised a lot, but they can't or won't deliver. I wish they would be honest with me. Apart from painting difficulties, the quality standard of any models I received was a lottery. Some were good, some were awful. A lottery is not good enough for models I advertise to customers, which is why I had to withdraw them from sale. Shapeways farm out printing work to a number of different manufacturers, and herein lies the main problem, I think. But that is of no use to me, or to you.

While I am making the alterations to the drawings for another manufacturer, are there any comments or suggestions from modellers who have constructed the original Shapeways schoolbuses, with regard to the assembly? Not the painting, as there will be a new material which hopefully won't have the painting issues associated with the white nylon material. But I am interested to find out if there was any difficulty with the glazing, for example, or access to all parts of the floor area, or the cab details. Or any comment on the bodywork details that needs amendment.

Apologies for the long hiatus in information. I haven't had the time to dedicate to the project recently, so not getting much done. I am currently making a few small alterations to one of the schoolbus variants to experiment with a different manufacturer and material. If the result is suitable, I can make these available again, although they may be a tad more expensive. I was hoping to avoid extra expense, as they were dear enough as things stand.

I think I may give up on Shapeways. I raised a few issues with them over a year ago, and was promised a lot, but they can't or won't deliver. I wish they would be honest with me. Apart from painting difficulties, the quality standard of any models I received was a lottery. Some were good, some were awful. A lottery is not good enough for models I advertise to customers, which is why I had to withdraw them from sale. Shapeways farm out printing work to a number of different manufacturers, and herein lies the main problem, I think. But that is of no use to me, or to you.

While I am making the alterations to the drawings for another manufacturer, are there any comments or suggestions from modellers who have constructed the original Shapeways schoolbuses, with regard to the assembly? Not the painting, as there will be a new material which hopefully won't have the painting issues associated with the white nylon material. But I am interested to find out if there was any difficulty with the glazing, for example, or access to all parts of the floor area, or the cab details. Or any comment on the bodywork details that needs amendment.

Nigel, just bring them back on stream! There isn't a 70-80's layout that would be complete without a bedford school bus. ;-)

Regards

Weshty.

Nigel, just bring them back on stream! There isn't a 70-80's layout that would be complete without a bedford school bus. ;-)

Regards

Weshty.

The original 33 seat SS1-100 may appear again very shortly. I have made a few alterations, to try out one or two ideas that have been bugging me. The prototype will arrive very soon, and based on that, if it works, it will be reissued, followed in turn by the other models, as I do the alterations on them as well. I am still working on a third model, so progress behind the scenes is slow, but ongoing. However, I don't want to tempt fate, so let me see what this prototype is like, first.

The original 33 seat SS1-100 may appear again very shortly. I have made a few alterations, to try out one or two ideas that have been bugging me. The prototype will arrive very soon, and based on that, if it works, it will be reissued, followed in turn by the other models, as I do the alterations on them as well. I am still working on a third model, so progress behind the scenes is slow, but ongoing. However, I don't want to tempt fate, so let me see what this prototype is like, first.

I will get one for sure,and I hope it goes well

for you Nigel.

Yessssssss......:banana: Deffo getting one, and more deffo, will actually build it...(though I have promised myself that already with Mr. Poots lovely creations)....

• 2 weeks later...

I have just received a 3D printed schoolbus bodyshell from I-materialise. This is in their grey prime material, which is not available from Shapeways, and far superior to anything Shapeways offer. Four photos here show the fine detail of the print. Very fine printing lines are visible, but these are smooth enough to be negligible, and the big difference between the grey prime material and the old WSF, is that grey prime can be cut and sanded with ease. It is a resin based material, similar to resin kits, whereas the WSF material from Shapeways was a hard nylon based plastic, that could not be sanded or smoothed. The grey prime is not as porous as WSF, and so should be far easier to paint. I will report when I have tried mine.

And now the bad news. You get what you pay for. This print worked out about €25 or €30 dearer than the equivalent Shapeways print in WSF. That means that at best, these models would retail 60%-75% dearer, or more, than Shapeways. The short wheelbase SS schoolbus would work out at over €80. That is very damned expensive. But the quality is much better. Typically, the more common bus types will continue to be made available as resin kits, and this 3D printed medium will be the reserve of more exclusive, one-off types, that would not merit a minimum run of 50 resin castings.

It may be possible to reduce the cost somewhat, by reducing the shipping costs on bulk orders, and possibly by offering a 'bodyshell only' offer, with floors, wheels and seats at the modeller's own discretion. At this point I am open to any and all comments on this. What would modellers be looking for, based on the apparent pricing costs of 3D printing, and the quality issues with the cheaper materials? I may continue to make the models available in WSF through Shapeways, but I cannot give any guarantees about what you will get from them. Individual quality of prints varies widely, and Shapeways appear quite content for quality to be a lottery, depending on who prints your model. This grey prime material from I-materialise appears to be far better quality, but you pay for it, unfortunately.

ss5.jpg

ss4.jpg

ss2.jpg

ss1.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, I don't check in here very often. SS class schoolbuses are still available from Shapeways, but the whole project has been stalled this year, as I am away constantly, and just far too busy. The grey prime material comes from a US-based company called I-materialise, and is far preferable to the rough and tough white material from Shapeways. At twice the price, it is too expensive for most modellers, which is why I left the Shapeways models as they are.

I will eventually make the grey prime material available too, for those that want to stretch to the far superior material. However, the SS class schoolbuses need an update before I-materialise will accept the drawings, which is why I cannot make them available right now. I am considering a bodyshell only option, which would make them more affordable, or a grey prime bodyshell with a cheaper Shapeways chassis and floor. But, as I say, the drawings need some updates first. The 3D drawings are very complex indeed.

The UTA Royal Tiger has not been shelved, it is still on my Mac, and is well under way, but I simply never get to sit down to finish it. If anyone is particularly interested in progress, see me at the three day model railway show in Raheny.

Finally, if any benevolent person wants to bequeath me a large sum of money, I can retire, and concentrate on finishing all these projects... :P In the meantime, progress will be maintained very slowly.

• 2 weeks later...

Just another quick update. I have left the Shapeways models on the website for now. However, I checked in today, and I see that since Oct 7th, there has been another price increase. A massive increase, which appears to be in the region of 20-25%! Given the unwieldy and unfriendly format of the Shapeways website, I find it difficult to find out exactly what the increase was, or how to fix the price I want to sell them at.

I have absorbed a little of the increase, but now it looks like 33 seat schoolbuses will be in the region of €50, and 45 seat schoolbuses and U buses over €60. I thought Shapeways policy was to keep 3D printing cheap and affordable, and that's why their production methods were so rigid, but these increases defy that.

I need to get back to my other manufacturer, I-materialise, in the US, and see where their prices are at, although I imagine their prices will keep pace with the market too. I will post back here again.

Finally, as an aside, I did look at that 3D printing shop in Rathmines, but they took one of my expensive prototypes and either lost it or dumped it. Very strange people in that shop. I'd keep well away from them.