Jump to content
Noel

Hattons train formation guides

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

More train formation guides from hattons. This time freight. Perhaps IRM could do a formation guide in the future for trains like liners, ballasts, cement, weed spray, etc. Or perhaps we could collectively milk the brains of all on here and oracles like @jhb171achill for CIE era and IE/IR trains such as mk2/mk3, mail trains, RPSI formations (eg Galway early morningpax+mail pre1994: 071+Bogie Laminate TPO+Mk1 GSV+mk2d SOx3+mk2drest+mkd2 FO+EGV), and build a sticky thread with visual representation of classic trains.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=501&utm_campaign=Formations - BOC tank wagons 120419 (Q4FiWu)&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Era 7 and Era 8 combined&_ke=eyJrbF9lbWFpbCI6ICJub2VsQGRlcmcuaWUiLCAia2xfY29tcGFueV9pZCI6ICJKR1FlWGgifQ%3D%3D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't understand why this is not already available.  If it included details of where rakes were typically seen that would be great too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Noel said:

More train formation guides from hattons. This time freight. Perhaps IRM could do a formation guide in the future for trains like liners, ballasts, cement, weed spray, etc. Or perhaps we could collectively milk the brains of all on here and oracles like @jhb171achill for CIE era and IE/IR trains such as mk2/mk3, mail trains, RPSI formations (eg Galway early morningpax+mail pre1994: 071+Bogie Laminate TPO+Mk1 GSV+mk2d SOx3+mk2drest+mkd2 FO+EGV), and build a sticky thread with visual representation of classic trains.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=501&utm_campaign=Formations - BOC tank wagons 120419 (Q4FiWu)&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Era 7 and Era 8 combined&_ke=eyJrbF9lbWFpbCI6ICJub2VsQGRlcmcuaWUiLCAia2xfY29tcGFueV9pZCI6ICJKR1FlWGgifQ%3D%3D

It's actually on our todo list - with full route maps, etc - @Garfield will sort it :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BosKonay said:

It's actually on our todo list - with full route maps, etc - @Garfield will sort it :) 

A whole hour has gone past now - is his internet down?

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Broithe said:

A whole hour has gone past now - is his internet down?

Lol. Unfortunately he’s at Bangor :)

you may resume ‘encouragement’ Monday :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Admin said:

Lol. Unfortunately he’s at Bangor :)

you may resume ‘encouragement’ Monday :)

Get a cattle prod and put it on expenses.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Broithe said:

Get a cattle prod and put it on expenses.

If you insist Broithe, I could probably get a second one ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BosKonay said:

If you insist Broithe, I could probably get a second one ;)

Better safe than sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m out gallivanting in Killarney. I’ll delve into the Catacombs when I get back on Wednesday.

Pre-1960, the rule was basically no two wagons alike in goods trains, nor coaches in passenger trains.

A lot of the pics in Rails Through the West will illustrate the 1968-90 period typically.

Even the cement bubbles, when first introduced, would be strewn among other goods vans and open wagons, maybe 2 or  3 at a time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

I’m out gallivanting in Killarney. I’ll delve into the Catacombs when I get back on Wednesday.

Pre-1960, the rule was basically no two wagons alike in goods trains, nor coaches in passenger trains.

A lot of the pics in Rails Through the West will illustrate the 1968-90 period typically.

Even the cement bubbles, when first introduced, would be strewn among other goods vans and open wagons, maybe 2 or  3 at a time.

That’s what I’m hoping to reproduce with a few h-vans and open wagons, perhaps a 20ft bell or two in a mix rake formation circa 1968. More variety and visually interesting. The new grey livery bubbles will be perfect for such a formation. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A word of caution if I may - I've been informed that certainly as regards the later era (1970s/80s and onwards) formation guides, the rakes are not necessarily prototypically accurate.

 

In some cases it appears they have substituted the correct vehicle types for what is actually available, while this may not affect the 1950s/60s-era guides I felt I should make people aware of this.

 

Regards, Ben.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use