The Brickworks - some more updates

Rate this topic

Sulzer201

I tried adding on a further loop to the layout and off the loop I've tried running a short siding which rises up a steep gradient. I was thinking of adding embankments to the right hand side of the bridge which carries the siding over the loop line. If anyone has any suggestions for 'cheap' methods of building an embankment I would love any help? Thanks all.

7.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new diversion line and siding continue to be developed, the station has now moved to this side of the layout and the siding leads to a small goods station area. All now on the 'town' side. Also did a bit of work making embankments with paper mache and a bit of tidying. The engine/carriage shed was moved down the long straights beside the church and signal box and this area is now in the ' countryside.' Will continue to work on improving the scenics as time and resources allow. Thanks for taking a look.

g.jpg

b.jpg

j.jpg

f.jpg

a.jpg

i.jpg

e.jpg

h (2).jpg

d.jpg

h.jpg

c.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi David and Stephen,

Thanks for the comments and advice and it is duly taken on board. Lots of work needed to improve the ground cover and general areas. I don't have much experience at all and operate on a minimal budget. This layout is small and basic and represents a learning curve and I will be trying to achieve incremental improvements over time while developing my own skills, to some degree. I Will source the Woodland Scenics cover and those hanging basket liners. I would also like to install more borders/fences/hedges but find them expensive enough to buy in large numbers so any suggestions on alternatives etc would also be appreciated.

As the budget is tight, then a Grasstech or other static grass machine may be a step too far as they can be anything from £30 to £100, plus you will need to get the fibres too. However, a Noch puffer bottle works well in small spaces [with fibres] and is worth having a go with if you can get one.

With Woodlands, suggest sticking to the fine and medium scatter and sieve it on via a kitchen implement for more even cover. For hedges, I use rubberised horsehair [see the tutorial and workbench sections]. Even without fibres puffed on, covered with scatter it looks good. Also very effective is pan scourer type material, but make sure you tease it out really thin before adding scatter.

For bushes and hedges, your local model shop may well do pack of lichen. Often in lurid colours, it benefits from being toned down - either spray can or brushed - to an even grey brown. Then once covered with scatter [diluted PVA painted on], makes very effective bushes and shrubs. The front garden of the Georgian house on Arigna Town was done this way. In smaller scales can even pass for trees, especially at the back of the layout.

Not that long ago dyed lint, teddy bear fur, plumbers hemp, sisal etc were the basics for all scenic work and [especially in the smaller scales] are still valid today.

For larger trees, I use the wire skeleton method, with Woodlands matting for foliage. Well worth a go and any wire will do, though the soft iron [paper covered] stuff sold for flower arranging is easy to work with and a pack only costs a pound/euro or so. Covered with filler mixed with PVA for a strong but flexible bark.

Fences are indeed a problem, not least because they are so fiddly. I have a big bag on matchsticks and often use these for lineside fencing - often not bothering to put in the wire strands and nobody seems to notice!

Overall, it is easy to spend a fortune on bits and pieces, when we really want to save our cash for locos and stock. That is why a bit of DIY and creativity comes in with the scenic. Most of my buildings are made from card and when I worked in 4mm scale, much of that came from cereal packets and the like. The biggest impact on scenic is colour and texture and the moral is what my art teacher always said. 'Paint what you see, not what you think', though when modelling scenics, toning everything down a shade or two always seems to be more effective.

Keep going with your project - a look back over all the postings shows how well things are developing.

Hi David,

Thank you for taking the time to give such a detailed and comprehensive response. There are certainly lots of tips there and 'food for thought' too. I will begin with the Woodlands fine and medium first and then have a go at the rubberised horsehair. Trying to develop knowledge and skills just on improving the scenics is a complete hobby in it's own right! Again, I'm grateful and appreciate your advice and assistance. Tommy.

One more tip is to use talcum powder to tone down colours. especially good with stock, but works almost everywhere and if you don't like it, can easily be removed. The two pics show where I needed to touch up a section on the level crossing. Stick out like a sore thumb at first, but the addition of a bit of talc blends it in nicelyDSCN0624.jpg

DSCN0623.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

A few pics from over Christmas, The Wickham car is visiting the old siding to check on the condition of the track, PW staff clearing up after the storms and a new siding for storing locos added. Next stop will be Woodies for some of that hanging basket liner material, and some more ballast laying is on the priority list. Thanks for taking a look.

rail5.jpg

Rail1.jpg

rail6.jpg

Rail2.jpg

rail7.jpg

rail3.jpg

rail4.jpg

Thanks Eamonn - Happy New Year to you and the family and hope to catch up with you sometime soon over the course of 2014, also want to hear those locos of your's again. I'm afraid close ups of that Wickham car would reveal even more of my modelling flaws! She's a great kit and great value for money. Delighted to get her as these vehicles were familiar on the system back in 'the good old days.'

Here goes heirflick, Eamonn and Hunslet, a few more pics of the Wickham. I'm new to this kit building so no laughing - I'm sure ye all will make a better fist of her, including the painting!! but I'm happy to have this model on the layout.

Happy New Year to you all.

WickHam5.jpg

WicHam3.jpg

WickHam1.jpg

WickHam2 (2).jpg

WickHam2.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Just another bit of slow progress as I try to improve the scenics a little - added a tunnel and the roof of it has some hanging basket liner and will add more foilage over time. Thanks to David and the rest of you for the unending advice and encouragement as I try to improve things slowly on a budget. Despite my very poor modelling skills, I still love the little pw railcar, it is resting at the end of a branch, gathering the scars of time. My budget this summer stretched to a DCC SND Class 37 (couldn't resist), and B181 which I love - it's short ballast train is a hornby railroad at the moment! Thanks for taking a look. Tommy.

12082014195.jpg

12082014175.jpg

12082014178.jpg

12082014179.jpg

12082014180.jpg

12082014182.jpg

12082014183.jpg

12082014186.jpg

12082014187.jpg

12082014188.jpg

12082014192.jpg

12082014193.jpg

12082014194.jpg

Looking good Tommy, don't loose faith. If you tease the hanging basket liner apart in places it will look like wild bushes, then spray some cheap hairspray over it and sprinkle over some woodland scenics fine blended turf. Looks really well.