The Brickworks - some more updates

Rate this topic

Sulzer201

The room must be really well lit! You'll need to start a layout detailing and weathering master lads Anthony!!

Yes mate I have fluorescent lights around the layout the 4' ones from B&Q. As for starting layout detailing at the minute I haven't time to bless myself with the amount of orders I have I'm putting in 12 hour days just weathering,painting and building for all you guys, but I will try and sort something out for you

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest hidden-agenda
Yes mate I have fluorescent lights around the layout the 4' ones from B&Q. As for starting layout detailing at the minute I haven't time to bless myself with the amount of orders I have I'm putting in 12 hour days just weathering,painting and building for all you guys, but I will try and sort something out for you

12 Hour days and the only thing you hav,nt weathered is the bed you have in the new work room.

I have to say i was very very impressed with the high powered lamps in the new spray booth ( i cant wait to see your misses face when the electric bill comes in).=))

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Eamonn, Im feeling the heat with the household charges etc so have been paying off NIR GM for number of weeks and hope to get her around Easter time - tough times for buying locos and stock, hence my total lack of authentic stock. Anyway Eamonn its like being back to the age of 10/11 when I used to cycle to Wicklow on the footpath and pay £2 off a lima warship which was then the massive price of £15. Took me ages but eventually I got her. I also had a crompton 33 and a Deltic and Joef stuff that was very poor quality. Great days!

Hi Eamonn, Im feeling the heat with the household charges etc so have been paying off NIR GM for number of weeks and hope to get her around Easter time - tough times for buying locos and stock, hence my total lack of authentic stock. Anyway Eamonn its like being back to the age of 10/11 when I used to cycle to Wicklow on the footpath and pay £2 off a lima warship which was then the massive price of £15. Took me ages but eventually I got her. I also had a crompton 33 and a Deltic and Joef stuff that was very poor quality. Great days!

Join the club Tommy,money is tight alright,and I am trying to save

a few bob for the next batch.A lotto win would be very nice.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I got a bit of time recently to try an attempt at some cement bubbles - I know the results would not stand up to much scrutiny but I was happy enough with them. The bogie wagons are the best I have for timber at the moment and I got the two axle version from Hattons today, big Dave might have a couple more of these for me at the next Bray or Dun Laoghaire shows. I'm always strapped for cash these days so trying to build up a couple of rakes slowly. The farmer is always busy with those animals! Thanks all. timber3.jpg

timber2.jpg

timber1.jpg

farm2.jpg

farm1.jpg

cementbubs.jpg

Had a go at a few more 'bubbles' don't know if the kids will ever take to that kinders choc! I now have a rake of 7 and they will receive a bit of painting and tidying along the way. Can anyone confirm did any of the NIR GMs work on those cement trains while based in the south040820131087.jpg?

040820131086.jpg

040820131080.jpg

Thanks gm, Dave and Eamonn. The bubbles are not up to the standards of this site but I'm happy enough with them as I don't have any Irish freight wagons. Need to build up a timber train as those 4 wheelers are not too expensive. Dave they are the standard kinders choc egg ones and the little toy is given inside the plastic bubble. Yes Eamonn, Ant did a great job on that lima 201, she's not a great runner but great to look just parked on a siding. He also did the 039 and a 181 and they look so well you'd just enjoy looking at them even if you never run any of them.

Tommy, will you post a close up pic of the bubbles. i want to have a go at a rake.

Hi Dave,

A few close-ups and as you can see they could do with a lot more work but they'll do me for the present. I have used old RTR wagon chassis as Marks had none of the Dapol Prestwins, I chopped one wagon to shorten it to 65/70mm. It was just trying to make something cheaply that looks a bit like the real thing. I have a few more BR cement wagons that I will chop and shorten. The eggs are the dearest part of it and I used thin slices from an old election poster for making the little ladders. The catwalks are just rectangle shaped pieces of cardboard and the pipes at each end are garden ties used for supporting plants. The hatches on top were also cardboard but I also have some which I recycled from old BR tankers. Best of luck with yours Dave and I look forward to seeing them.

DSCF0468.jpg

DSCF0475.jpg

DSCF0474.jpg

DSCF0469.jpg

DSCF0467.jpg

Thanks all for the kind comments but I know they could be much better but they'll do me just at present. Hattons are selling Network Rail ballast bogie wagons that look close enough to the tara mines and Limerick shale wagons. Can they be used to represent any of our wagons and would it take much work/skills to convert same? Thanks in advance for any advice.

I made it to Bray last Sunday and picked up two timber wagons from Dave - a difficult man to haggle down but entertaining discussion on various topics including claustrophobia, MRI scanning equipment, and a cost/benefit analysis of the Bray to Greystones DART line!! Anyway enjoyed it all and looking forward to another bit of haggling with Dave on the gen van. I am in the process of getting a couple of freight rakes together; timber and cement. Next task is to get another few of the dapol oil tankers. While in Bray got a look at the new DART models and these are fine indeed, great detail down to a newspaper on the dashboard of one of the cabs! Well done to Owen140820131140.jpg.

140820131139.jpg

140820131136.jpg

140820131135.jpg

110820131127.jpg

110820131126.jpg

I had a go at converting an old hornby brake van into a cie departmental plough van, it's not the best and the painting is a bit rough too but it will have to do me for time being. I have a bubble rake behind a dirty 181 and at the weekend I picked up the hornby diesel loco depot. Apologies for poor quality of photos.

Plough4.jpg

Plough3.jpg

Plough2.jpg

Plough2 (3).jpg

Plough1.jpg

dieseldep.jpg

Cement.jpg