The Cork and Muskerry Light Railway

Rate this topic

Colin R

Hi Guys I am looking for any drawings or details about the locomotives or Rolling stock from the Cork and Muskerry Railway,  I have the Oakwood press book by Stanley Jenkins about the lline, but the details about the rolling stock is a bit vague any help in finding out more detail would be welcome.

Colin Rainsbury

No worries, possibly best to pm copies .. as I suspect someone or other will get arsey about copyright !...😉 I'll try and get a viewable pic or two and send em in a message if that's ok...

Just sent in p.m.

Edited by PorkyP
  • Like 1

This is a great little bit of fillum of the line that gives a flavour of it , the railway action doesn't start till about 1min in btw... the staff uniform is very smart back then too!

Edited by PorkyP
  • Like 3
  • Informative 1
  • WOW! 1

I think it was Mitchell & Kenyon footage, they did some amazing stuff in the early 1900s kind of period, well worth looking at, I think the BFI has them archived, and a lot are probably on you tube, there's one I saw, a journey from the top deck of a tram , which was fascinating, I must check em out again and see if they did any more on the railways..

Just found the tram footage, it's Belfast 1901 apparently..

Edited by PorkyP
  • Like 1

Colin

GSR diagrams (outline only very little detail) of C&M locos were published a recent edition of New Irish Lines.

I can scan a copy of the diagrams if its of help.

Apparently the authors have been unable to locate a diagram of the original locos as rebuilt into 4-4-0Ts or the C&L 4-4-0Ts

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
54 minutes ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Are there any pictures of St Ann's station near Tower, at the entrance to the Hydro farm? I'm interested because I lived on the Hydro site 2000 to 2002.

A brief spell on the Google machine found this. A camera shy location on a railway that not a lot has been published about, apart from the aforementioned Oakwood books.

Photo doesn't have a source or credit, sites claiming photos of others as their own are a bugbear of mine.

https://www.censusconnections.ie/muskerry-light-railway/

st-ann0027s-hill-station.jpg

Edited by minister_for_hardship

There are some in this album which I'm sure you've seen. It might be worthwhile to search other light rail systems to which the CMLR locos were subsequently transferred such as the Schull & Skibbereen. I have the same book but don't recall what happened to the coaching stock, in there somewhere I'm sure.

https://transportsofdelight.smugmug.com/RAILWAYS/IRISH-RAILWAYS/NARROW-GAUGE-LOCOMOTIVES/i-rWDjGjR

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DiveController said:

There are some in this album which I'm sure you've seen. It might be worthwhile to search other light rail systems to which the CMLR locos were subsequently transferred such as the Schull & Skibbereen. I have the same book but don't recall what happened to the coaching stock, in there somewhere I'm sure.

https://transportsofdelight.smugmug.com/RAILWAYS/IRISH-RAILWAYS/NARROW-GAUGE-LOCOMOTIVES/i-rWDjGjR

Only one C&MLR loco survived for reuse elsewhere, on the Schull & Skibbereen (ex No 6/6K "The Muskerry", renumbered 6S), another (sister loco 5/5K "Donoughmore") was supposed to go to the T&DLR section as 9T but that never happened in the end.

Some goods wagons ended up on the Cavan & Leitrim, coupled together in rakes as the "hook and eye" couplings weren't compatable with "chopper" couplings, coaches were probably sold off locally and/or scrapped. Not aware any were transferred elsewhere. Edit: two open wagons went to the C&L section as their 210L, 211L in 1936 and used with ex Passage stock. Eight more C&M opens with two Clogher Valley opens arrived from the WCR section in 1957, used once for ballast work and dumped at Ballinamore until final disposal. Were to be renumbered 231L-240L in the C&L series but never carried them.

A very small number of coaches survive, to this day, if you know where to look. I'm aware of a wagon somewhere else in a derelict state.

Edited by minister_for_hardship
  • Like 2
  • Informative 1

• 3 months later...
On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 2:01 AM, DiveController said:

CMLR Western Rd Terminus, Cork 

This one is of interest to a wider audience too, as it shows a very nice example of the standard concrete posts and surrounds for the then-quite-modern black enamel standard GSR station nameboards. Some of these concrete jobbies were to be seen in a number of locations well into the 1970s.

I wonder if plans exist. It would be nice little thing for 3D printing, especially if a few of us wanted them.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
On 12/5/2019 at 9:49 AM, minister_for_hardship said:

A brief spell on the Google machine found this. A camera shy location on a railway that not a lot has been published about, apart from the aforementioned Oakwood books.

Photo doesn't have a source or credit, sites claiming photos of others as their own are a bugbear of mine.

https://www.censusconnections.ie/muskerry-light-railway/

st-ann0027s-hill-station.jpg

Hiya - this was me, sorry about the missing credits, I struggled with Wordpress to begin with it and put the info in the wrong place.

Originally I had received a photocopy of this picture from a local historian who has been researching St Ann's Hydro for years - I found the online version in this website.

http://www.inniscarra.org/gallery/gallery/muskerry_tram_files/page6-1032-full.html

I suspect that all the photos come from the National Archives as while I have seen most of these over the years from the historian there are a few with people in them that I have not encountered before.

Again, sorry about the missing credits, it was pure ignorance of how bloody Wordpress works more than anything else!