Live steam Cavan & Leitrim 4-4-0T

Rate this topic

minister_for_hardship

It is a bit scary. But do bear in mind, PP, that the cost of a decent OO loco is now - as we know so well - often soaring well into the £200stg plus bracket. So this isn’t long term bad value, although can look steep to front up the cash. Having run live steam in the past, these things have massive presence even when dead and unlit. Put a fire in and they come alive with sound and smell in a way that DCC chips can never really imitate, and they hold their value. Plus you can run them in our gentle rain! 

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 3

Here’s a few snaps from my brother’s old line (now being rebuilt in a new location) in County Tyrone....you can see the attraction of live steam...it’s an Accucraft loco so gives you an idea of the likely quality of the C and L one - v nice detail as well as being a real steam engine 

E29D9F13-CD45-4440-8BDB-CEC978A3D2AC.jpeg

9491E4D4-742A-47B2-BA14-82122F78041E.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 3
  • WOW! 1

Interesting massed produced Irish narrow gauge live steam !  The price is not particularly high by large scale standards.

Accucraft is based in the States with its own factory in China and produces a large range of American, Continental and British outline narrow gauge locos and stock.

It will be interesting to see if they will produce some matching rolling stock to run with the C&L 4-4-0T

Its good to the see it planned to donate the profits from the sales of the locos in Ireland to the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum and the Cavan & Leitrim.  

Many of the Irish narrow gauge classes have been batched produced in live steam including the C&L 4-4-0 Archangel (Stewart Browne) & T&D 2-6-0T (John Campbell). 

http://grw.trains.com/~/media/import/files/pdf/4/8/b/irish_narrow_gauge.ashx

• Like 3
  • WOW! 1

1 hour ago, PorkyP said:

Totally take your point lads, I was more thinking of it from my own point of view!..it's exactly the loco I'd want but unless I do a few cash machine ram raids it's way beyond me !

I know a fella near the border who’ll lend us a JCB, if we split it three ways..... that’ll be six locomotives each, or thereabouts.. 

• Like 1

I know this is VERY pedantic..... but I can't help wondering why they offer a GSR loco with red con-rods! Looks absolutely ridiculous....like a fertiliser wagon with tartan ends and pink bogies. 

I had garden railways in my last house, battery powered. I'd be tempted to re-jig the current (small) garden just to accommodate one of those locos (with grey con-rods!).

Equally, no C & L loco was ever black. Ex-T & D No. 6 had a late repaint and looks grey in some photos, black in others - but no other narrow gauge steam engine was black. I simply note this as a small bit of historical info.

From Accucraft these will be amazing.

I will seek Garfield's advice as to whether a dozen or more ferts might be a better investment(!).....

Edited by jhb171achill

On 10/1/2019 at 1:27 AM, jhb171achill said:

I know this is VERY pedantic..... but I can't help wondering why they offer a GSR loco with red con-rods! L

Most likely because Accucraft believe that there is sufficient demand to produce a version with red rods, a high proportion of sales of the locos are likely to be to large scale modeler (outside the UK or Ireland) who want to add an Irish loco or train for their collection or garden railway rather than modellers that are specifically interested in the Irish Narrow Gauge.

The models are likely to be only really accurate for the locos in their current re-built/preserved condition and visually are quite different from their pre-amalgamation condition. No 3 Lady Edit received a new boiler with a distinctive flat topped dome in the Mid 1920s, while No2 Kathleen originally a "Main Line" engine like No3 was rebuilt during the 1940s with the "Tramway" cab and superstructure from No 7 Violet and boiler from No 1.

Lady Edit appears to have run at some stage with red rods while in preservation in the United States

Allaire - 2b Lady Edith

I guess the new locos are a good motivator to cull my collection of N and 4mm models and concentrate on the larger scale.

• Like 2