16.5mm or 21mm for Irish trains

Rate this topic

Dave Dawes

Hi all, I have been a modeller for many years in N and Z scale with exhibition layouts. I am now in the process of being able to build an OO layout at home. Now do I go 16.5 (OO) or 21mm in Irish railways or OO for the Scottish Highlands. I see the Murphys models are becoming hard to find but are they easy to convert to 21mm, what about other Irish manufacturers.  Just some thoughts

@Dave Dawes Hi

@WRENNEIRE is the man for Murphys 141s, 071s, 201s and are convertible to 21mm with a bit of jiggery-poke!, he's good for rolling stock also, IRM's new wagons are also convertible and I believe it's inbuilt in the forthcoming Class A loco- don't know about Murphy's forthcoming Class 121 loco yet

As you will see in Galteemore's link you will have to make your own 21mm track or pay someone to do it

Eoin

• Like 4

The lack of suitable track remains an impediment to building any thing in 21mm. I think modelers would be inclined to do loco and stock conversions (and even that can be a little tedious), but building your own track is mostly for smaller layouts for all except a few modelers I expect

Edited by DiveController
  • Like 1

On 10/10/2019 at 6:16 AM, Dave Dawes said:

Yes that's what I was thinking, think I will stick with the oo, but use the new bullhead track, with the wider sleeper spacing it does give it a more broad gauge look even if it isnt

I would recommend Peco Bullhead track if you are going with OO.  I think it does help the appearance greatly. 

I have included a link to a short video of my layout we’re I have used it.  This layout is far from complete but you can get the feeling for how the track looks  

• Like 4
  • WOW! 1

51 minutes ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

Class 50 driver!   Love it, dream job!!😃

Wont bother me Andy not a kettle fan I'm afraid , diesel oil in my blood, comes from being a driver on BR class 31, 47 and 50s 

Best job I had was the last Oxford (2300) back one spring evening 7 mk1 coaches 2x class 50s in multiple ( one was being returned in train to Old Oak so I mu them) my friend was in Slough panel box that night and they clocked me at 107mph past the box, the noise leaving Reading was nothing liked I've heard since

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dave Dawes said:

Wont bother me Andy not a kettle fan I'm afraid , diesel oil in my blood, comes from being a driver on BR class 31, 47 and 50s 

Best job I had was the last Oxford (2300) back one spring evening 7 mk1 coaches 2x class 50s in multiple ( one was being returned in train to Old Oak so I mu them) my friend was in Slough panel box that night and they clocked me at 107mph past the box, the noise leaving Reading was nothing liked I've heard since

Tell you what the best noise is at the moment a 071 or a 201 accelerating hard 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Dave Dawes said:

Tell you what the best noise is at the moment a 071 or a 201 accelerating hard 

A pair of 121/141/181 roaring up the gullet with about eleven heavily loaded laminates & Park Royals (10:30 Dublin-Cork about 1977), or a single 141 lifting nine Mk 2s stuffed with commuters (Lisburn-Belfast about 1995-2000) was the best I ever recall hearing!

• Like 2

For me, nothing says Irish railways better than 21mm or 36.75mm track. The Peco code 75 certainly looks so much better than code 100 though, especially if you can keep to a low viewing angle. See Patrick's layout thread for that.

However, would still say doing 21mm is worth a try. Plain track is easy to make using C&L components, while points could be custom made by the likes of Marcway, or again have a go yourself with C&L. The only thing you'd need to find/have made is a suitable roller gauge. 

21mm is not about P4 either, finescale 00 clearances (one mm flange ways) will be fine. One point and a couple of lengths of plain track should only take a couple of hours using C&L parts, with no soldering required either.

Worth thinking about.

• Like 3