RPSI and there coaches

Rate this topic

Dave Dawes

The Society still has one or two Mk 2 vehicles at Whitehead for future restoration.

For those who don't know, the Society's stock of Mk 2s consists partly of vehicles from the original 1970 NIR "Enterprise" set, when the trio of ill-fated "Hunslets" were introduced. They looked very modern among NIR's increasingly dilapidated MED, MPD, AEC and BUT railcars, and elderly steam stock carriages. I remember seeing them for the first time when they were about a week in traffic.

Other RPSI vehicles include ex-British Rail stock which actually never ran in Ireland at all, plus one or two that came from BR to NIR, to be used as 80-class centre cars or Enterprise stock.

And one or two are ex-CIE / Irish Rail.

I know that there are a couple of folks on here to state which is which. It's on the RPSI website anyway.

The Society has four genny vans - two BR type and two "Dutch". Currently, the former are in Dublin and the latter at Whitehead. In each case, one in use, one not.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Marks Models have the green RPSI Mk2's in stock, way cheaper the eBay sellers ask for.

The RPSI should still have some of the blue and cream Cravens available from their own online shop.

An online shop has no online ordering facility for the models, just stone age 1960s style Mail Order Forms that were common in Britain in the 1960s, with payment by cheque, postal order, or postal money order. Sorry for moaning but that's just jurassic beyond fossil trading. An online shop that uses paper, post, and takes days to place an order via snail mail. 🤣 Do they not realise folks don't write cheques anymore, nor put paper in envelopes, stick stamps on envelopes and then physical walk to a letter box. Some UK model suppliers are the same, paper catalogs, send SAE for price lists, don't take credit cards not online boilings. Lost in an 1950s world. I'm a member or RPSI and know its staffed by wonderful volunteers but even tiny clubs have online payment options using PayPal, or other eCommerce stores in a box. It's so easy to set up. At least they have moved to Eventbrite for some of their rail tour bookings, but only a few years ago it was post'n'paper too. Its 2019 after all. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Noel said:

An online shop has no online ordering facility for the models, just stone age 1960s style Mail Order Forms that were common in Britain in the 1960s, with payment by cheque, postal order, or postal money order. Sorry for moaning but that's just jurassic beyond fossil trading. An online shop that uses paper, post, and takes days to place an order via snail mail. 🤣 Do they not realise folks don't write cheques anymore, nor put paper in envelopes, stick stamps on envelopes and then physical walk to a letter box. Some UK model suppliers are the same, paper catalogs, send SAE for price lists, don't take credit cards not online boilings. Lost in an 1950s world. I'm a member or RPSI and know its staffed by wonderful volunteers but even tiny clubs have online payment options using PayPal, or other eCommerce stores in a box. It's so easy to set up. At least they have moved to Eventbrite for some of their rail tour bookings, but only a few years ago it was post'n'paper too. Its 2019 after all. 

I didn't bother with any of that.

I emailed and asked for their IBAN, made a transfer and received my coaches in the post.

So simple.

• Like 3
  • Informative 2

14 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

I think the RPSI stock may be sold out now. I think but am not sure, I got the 2nd last one for a friend.

Awwww.

When I bought my sets, I also bought two as Christmas presents.

Fergus was so helpful with hiding any RPSI evidence from the outside of the packages etc, but he did say that stock levels were low, and that there may be a possibility of a run with three different running numbers if they sold the last of the Cravens.

I asked if they'd be doing a GSV and he said no, that they'd be doing models which currently exist as tooling would be too expensive for a limited run like that.

Hint hint hint, IRM, pleeeeeease do some GSV's.

I'd take a GSV or two but to be honest, I'm hoping that IRM will finally turn to coaching stock and will provide some of the CIE built coaching stock from the mid 1950s. The wooden coaching stock lasted for a very considerable period  mixed with themselves, Park Royals, Cravens. It wasn't until after the Buttevant rail disaster that a moratorium was placed on these with the eventual introduction of the Mk3 stock in the late 1980s. Just providing the stock will improve interest in this era and they would be purchased in short and long rakes. 🥰 It would be nice to have authentic coaching stock that would have been hauled by late steam and just about every IRM A class livery that is production right now (actually I might be needing some GSVs after all).  Need to head off for a lottery ticket myself soon ... 

Still operating in 1986 although I'll admit that the brakes, catering and TPOs may have lasted longer than some of the coaches themselves

Ireland Coach Ireland Coach

Edited by DiveController
  • Like 5

On 12/20/2019 at 5:47 PM, DJ Dangerous said:

....The RPSI should still have some of the blue and cream Cravens available from their own online shop.

On 12/20/2019 at 6:13 PM, Noel said:

An online shop has no online ordering facility for the models, just stone age 1960s style Mail Order Forms that were common in Britain in the 1960s, with payment by cheque, postal order, or postal money order. Sorry for moaning .....

I actually sent an order for the RPSI Cravens a year ago, with a cheque, by registered post.

The RPSI denied receiving the order. Cheque was cashed, though.

I gave up.

53 minutes ago, Horsetan said:

I actually sent an order for the RPSI Cravens a year ago, with a cheque, by registered post.

The RPSI denied receiving the order. Cheque was cashed, though.

I gave up.

If it's been cashed, don't give up.

if you want to privately PM me and give me your addesss, I know who (within the RPSI) deals with this. I will inform the relevant people.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

If it's been cashed, don't give up.

if you want to privately PM me and give me your addesss, I know who (within the RPSI) deals with this. I will inform the relevant people.

Thanks.  It is probably a bit late now,  as all the coach packs are sold out. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/20/2019 at 10:12 PM, DJ Dangerous said:

Awwww.

When I bought my sets, I also bought two as Christmas presents.

Fergus was so helpful with hiding any RPSI evidence from the outside of the packages etc, but he did say that stock levels were low, and that there may be a possibility of a run with three different running numbers if they sold the last of the Cravens.

I asked if they'd be doing a GSV and he said no, that they'd be doing models which currently exist as tooling would be too expensive for a limited run like that.

Hint hint hint, IRM, pleeeeeease do some GSV's.

GSVs are fairly easy to do using Bachman BR mk1 BCK coaches as donors and a little sawing, cutting and joining, filler and an easy paint job being one colour maroon, no masking needed. Transferrs from SSM or railtec. Btw, the RPSI GSV 3173 could end up all blue or blue'n'cream to match their cravens. I guess post brexit we'll may see a lot more blue up there in RPSI hq.

Yes. The two Dutch vans will be dark green to match the Whitehead set - or that was the plan last time there was any discussion about it. The maroon BR van will stay maroon, in case of operation at any stage with the older heritage coaches. The other BR van, as I understand, will be blue or else blue and cream.

Two points I might make about the RPSI livery for the Dublin set, as occasionally they have been commented upon.... Firstly, it's cream on it rather than white, secondly it is not GNR livery as is occasionally assumed. The GNR livery used a very much darker blue, and did not have a blue line above window level.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

11 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

The maroon BR van will stay maroon, in case of operation at any stage with the older heritage coaches. The other BR van, as I understand, will be blue or else blue and cream.

I volunteer with the RPSI in Inchicore and to be honest it will be a small miracle to get 3185 back to working order again. There are major rust problems externally with holes the size of your hand in the bodywork. You can actually see through from one side to the other in places. That's not to even mention electrical and boiler issues. 3173 will be doing the solo honours for a very long time. There is alot of pressure to keep 3173 as best it can be as without it Dublin rake cannot operate.

• Like 1

True, I'm aware of that indeed, Railer.

Before commenting further, it must be said that without the likes of yourself there would be no genny vans at all anywhere, still less any steam locomotives to haul them!

I was on the (first or second?) Railtours Emerald Isle Express, and the thing had to be seriously nursed. I believe it died totally just as we finished the trip. As long as it exists, of course, the possibility of it being restored is available. The Downpatrick one, 3189, has good generators in it, but the bodywork is a sieve. That thing needs a total body rebuild - it's long beyond restoration....  same as 3185. But at least the DCDR one isn't required to operate in a moving train.

• Like 2

On 1/31/2020 at 5:48 PM, Noel said:

GSVs are fairly easy to do using Bachman BR mk1 BCK coaches as donors and a little sawing, cutting and joining, filler and an easy paint job being one colour maroon, no masking needed. Transferrs from SSM or railtec. Btw, the RPSI GSV 3173 could end up all blue or blue'n'cream to match their cravens. I guess post brexit we'll may see a lot more blue up there in RPSI hq.

Ha!

I could pull pallets all day long, but finicky stuff just disintegrates in my hands, so cutting, joining and filling something that I can hardly see would be a noooooooo, noooooo, nooooooo for me.

• Like 1