The Road freight section at Tara junction

Rate this topic

ttc0169

I am gradually building up a road freight section to compliment the railway operations on Tara junction comprising of vehicles from the CIE,IR and IE period which span the best part of thirty years,

I will start this thread off with a vehicle from the 1990s Irish rail era,

Based out of Ballina freight depot was this Ford rigid truck which served the Mayo area and was branded for Rail Link traffic, Rail Link was an overhaul and rebranding for the former uniload and transtrack department with Ballina as the railhead for the traffic.

The Rail Link truck makes its way through afternoon traffic while returning to the Lakeview freight yard to reload with more supplies for the High street.

IMG_4699.JPG

• Like 9

One from the 2000's-the Road liner era when some private owner trucks were branded for Iarnrod Eireann freight use, primarily for containers and Guinness traffic,

Here we see a Volvo tractor unit and trailer on Guinness Keg duties at the Lakeview freight yard before being moved to allow locomotive 187 shunt the two axle MX wagons onto the bulk cement-see Tara junction thread for a video.

IMG_E4714.JPG

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, popeye said:

The forklift trucks are a nice size for the beer crates.

I ordered one from Germany, the postage was more than the model, but nice to have one. :banana:

They are well worth it.....and are ideal for the 1990s/2000 era on Irish rail...

• Like 2

On 8/2/2020 at 3:56 PM, popeye said:

Thanks, that saves a lot of hunting through the internet.

I have some HO stuff, it usually looks ok as long as it's not sitting beside something that gives it away.

Agree Popeye. Really like the look of these, and they definitely pass the test sitting amongst 1:76 scale stock. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JasonB said:

Agree Popeye. Really like the look of these, and they definitely pass the test sitting amongst 1:76 scale stock. 

They really represent the late 1990s 2000 era on Irish rail, I was fortunate to drive one in Ballina freight yard between 1999 and 2001

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
17 minutes ago, ttc0169 said:

During the 1980s CIE operated bulk cement articulated trucks,

Although this is a HO Kibri kit it doesn't look too bad as it waits to be loaded at the cement silo at Lakeview freight yard.

IMG_5296.JPG

looks very close

3 minutes ago, mphoey said:

looks very close100545171_3051377908238983_3039157096743436288_o.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=fLcBj3gnRGAAX-M8gIk&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-1.fna&oh=fe688287f1d9d9cc6797a240df1ab13b&oe=5FAF70CC

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ttc0169 said:

Although this is a HO Kibri kit it doesn't look too bad as it waits to be loaded at the cement silo at Lakeview freight yard

Looks great Noel, really like the colours on the paint job. I'd love to get my hands on a similar model in 1:76 scale. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Is that timber truck a 1:87 Herpa model?

The white Scania behind doesn't look much bigger.

I find the difference between 1:87 and 1:76 very noticeable in the trucks.

Morning DJ

Yes it is a herpa model with the timber load altered to suit Irish operations. 

The Scania is 1:76-an Oxford model and the trailer is 1:87,

I agree there is a noticeable difference between both scales. 👍👍

• Informative 1

22 minutes ago, ttc0169 said:

Morning DJ

Yes it is a herpa model with the timber load altered to suit Irish operations. 

The Scania is 1:76-an Oxford model and the trailer is 1:87,

I agree there is a noticeable difference between both scales. 👍👍

Thanks, TTC!

I can't really see the difference in your photo, the scales look incredibly close, but when I look at my own models, the scales look way off!

• Like 1