Lockdown wagon works

Rate this topic

Robert Shrives

Well the next batch of 5 chassis kits arrived yesterday and been in a sonic bath to clean, a few hours to sort flash on the tiddly detail bits, along with 6 months of model dawdling and the 5  tank wagons will be "ex-works"  Along with the coal and barrier wagons a 15 wagon train will be possible.   

Still need to paint pallet and then back to the UTA spoils, really need to get these nearer the finishing line!

Still no pics as no longer able to upload to forum. 

Robert   

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I now have five running chassis and enjoying cutting off the flash of the underframe parts ready to glue on, couplings to sort but making progress! 

I think I will make up some more hook and loop couplings in style of previous ones as tanks will be a rake. 

Robert

Edited by Robert Shrives
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sorry no pics to endure - cannot upload due sick pc at home.   The coal containers and oil tank tainers done. Due festive overtime rates the wagon works tackled 19 vehicles over last three days- the UTA spoils  are now down to fixing the chain to jacking slide.   The ammonia tanks that were stalled pending a solution to brake gear - cut and made up brackets from plasticard and fitted a bracket for hand brake wheels.  Bogies were made up I thought but cannot find all of them so made some more up.  Finally the bogie cements I have finally fashioned  the pipe manifolds for the air supplies for unloading, and glued in place. Two of the resin buffers have suffered but I have cast ones suitable for another day off.   

A good productive weekend - 19 wagons worked on. 

Robert 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, popeye said:

Pace yourself man, you have all year 😉

A 2mm scale friend reminded me of  "STABLE" - STash Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy a while ago. So yes  I know what you mean but looking at several 80 class , 450 class and the International  train coach sides I have plenty to be going at for fun and giggles. 

Robert   

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Robert Shrives said:

A 2mm scale friend reminded me of  "STABLE" - STash Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy a while ago. So yes  I know what you mean but looking at several 80 class , 450 class and the International  train coach sides I have plenty to be going at for fun and giggles. 

Robert   

Me too. Getting to the stage I'd need to be content with what I have. In an ideal world and if I was 20 years younger and not living on a pension, I would have some sort of early NIR set up with hand-made Jeeps, MEDs, AECs, and MPDs (Lambegman would love it!) on a layout based on the Lisburn - Banbridge bit having survived the attentions of thye UTA (or is it NTA; I get these two vehemently anti-rail groups mixed up....) 

Next room would be Dugort Harbour, but a generation earlier in GSR days, then grey'n'green, then black'n'tan.

1980s Java at the end of steam, with brand new GM diesels vying with 1870s wood burning 2.4.0s for space on weed-strewn tracks.

In the West Wing, I've 1960-80 South Africa, with 19Ds, 15CAs, 12Rs, and 6Js, and a Garrett or two. Beyond that in another room, BR blue-era rural England with Metro-Cammell railcars, 24s, 25s, 26s, and 31s all over the place.

And then it would be time for my cocoa.

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Mike 84C said:

Stable, now thats a new one! just looking in my desk drawers I need to keep the marbles till at least a ton! Then be able to get under the baseboard to do the soldering stuff, so give it my best shot or get the finger out. Killarney beckons.  :dig:

I am in much the same boat myself and will soon need to make a decision on whether to continue working in 4mm or move up to a larger scale or concentrate on rtr as the hands are not as steady as they once were as I move into my mid-60s.

I think David Holman has the right approach build and complete models for a particular modelling project, as opposed to acquiring a 'stash' of kits or rtr models that might be useful some day.

In my 20s I set out to model a section of the "Meath Road" to 21mm gauge all scratchbuilt, I scrapped most of my early scratchbuilt models of MGWR locos and stock as they were fairly crude, but did not get round to building replacements until 40 years later because I got diverted down various rabbit holes including the GNR(I), BR steam era, Irish 3' Gauge and rtr American N & HO gauge and the DRGW narrow gauge in 1:20.3 scale with the arrival of various rtr models and stock.

In the end I am not really bothered about the various Rabbit Holes and culled most of my collection of British OO and American N, at this stage I got to go back to basis and focus on completing my unfinished products while I am still capable.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

"Tears to your eyes GOOD", Robert, but then I would say that?

Just brilliant execution of complex kit. I've now sold more of them than ever existed in real life!

Still available, of course.

That load only needs a single tank, Darius - but could be run with my GNR 20 ton brake, as they did in the early days of the contract.

Keep up the great work Robert.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

"Tears to your eyes GOOD", Robert, but then I would say that?

Just brilliant execution of complex kit. I've now sold more of them than ever existed in real life!

Still available, of course.

That load only needs a single tank, Darius - but could be run with my GNR 20 ton brake, as they did in the early days of the contract.

Keep up the great work Robert.

Leslie, Thanks for the vote of confidence.  Indeed a Jeep or two will be required, I did take a phot with 102 in maroon on the front but a bit too dark.  Several phots DH plus load 10  on the second contract- I guess fewer wagons available.   I add thanks to Darius for the UT and number transfers to complete the project, with a cut and shut on the numbers it would possible to do 10 more - fun but life a bit too short with all the other kits and stuff in the gloat mine.  

Robert    

• Like 1

• 5 months later...