Drumboe

Rate this topic

airfixfan

Donegal Railway Heritage Centre have announced today that they have secured a major grant towards the completion of restoration work on Drumboe by the RPSI. Drumboe is one of the Class 5 tanks preserved and is currently stored at Whitehead. Drumboe will be returning to Donegal Town soon.All donations welcomed and contact info@donegalrailway.com

• Like 2

I think so. Lovely as it would be, I suspect that bringing such a beast back to life would be a wasted effort given the paucity of 3’ trackage in Ireland it could actually use - you’d need an Irish equivalent of the Festiniog/Welsh Highland to justify it.

Edited by Galteemore

1 hour ago, Galteemore said:

I think so. Lovely as it would be, I suspect that bringing such a beast back to life would be a wasted effort given the paucity of 3’ trackage in Ireland it could actually use - you’d need an Irish equivalent of the Festiniog/Welsh Highland to justify it.

could it not be loaned to the Waterford Suir Valley for use?

29 minutes ago, K801 said:

could it not be loaned to the Waterford Suir Valley for use?

In theory, yes, but a locomotive that size would be woefully uneconomic to operate on a line like that. In addition it is only being cosmetically restored: a full return to working order would cost many hundreds of thousands of euros, with possible a complete new boiler involved.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

...: a full return to working order would cost many hundreds of thousands of euros, with possible a complete new boiler involved.

As I understand it, Drumboe's boiler barrel is fine, but smokebox, tubes, tubeplate, inner firebox, stays, foundation ring, etc. will all be wanting replacement. That's after you deal with the bottom half.

I reckon it'll be about three million Euro to get it going, allowing for inflation.

DRC has always been hampered by not having the land to relay a section of the original line, something they say they will now attempt to address. That will consume many more Euro.

• Like 1

Drumboe will not be a cosmetic restoration as Phase 1 as announced will make it a running chassis. Phase 2 after it returns to Donegal Town would be the firebox/boiler and ironically of the 3 Class 5 tanks Drumboe is in the best condition of the 3 survivors. Talks are taking place with the Local Council over parts of the tracked under their control. All donations to bridge a small gap are most welcome.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, airfixfan said:

Drumboe will not be a cosmetic restoration as Phase 1 as announced will make it a running chassis. All donations to bridge a small gap are most welcome.

Really great news. Worth mentioning the Heritage centre is a charity, gives people more confidence in donating I believe. 

What's the best way to donate?

Edited by Wexford70
spelling
  • Like 1

There is a direct link on the home page of the website for the Donegal Railway Heritage Centre for all donations. The Centre is a registered charity and like all Heritage groups the Centre has suffered from the financial effects of the Covid crisis since March.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

35 minutes ago, David Holman said:

What about the Finn Valley Railway? Home territory, track etc in place, albeit needing run round loops, though guess there are other factors, or it would already have been mentioned.

We are looking at a number of options at the Donegal Railway Heritage Centre. Would be great if as you say the track was still there in the Finn Valley but it was all lifted in 1960. Once work starts on Drumboe next month varies options will be examined in more depth. Funds permitting of course!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/30/2020 at 1:44 AM, Horsetan said:

I reckon it'll be about three million Euro to get it going, allowing for inflation.

Having been involved in what has been one of the most comprehensive rebuilds of any steam loco now in Ireland it most certainly wouldn't cost that but would be a significant amount. Some practical thoughts are that once it leaves Whitehead it to me would seem unlikely to be restored to steaming condition. The lack of a running line also presents a problem.

Great work however and I'm sure will look great.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Donegal Railway Heritage Centre has launched an appeal for support on Facebook. The Centre has been closed since late September and all help needed as work has started in Donegal Town for the return of Drumboe early next year

Restoration work under way now at RPSI and without any income from visitors help is needed to continue to fund the Drumboe restoration plans. Thanks if you help out.