Older Models vs New Releases

Rate this topic

Irishrailwayman

Just for fun I took some photos of my older (2008) 121 model made from Model Irish Railways resin kit (hand painted) and put it beside Murphy Models fine new RTR model. MIR's version is fractionally longer, taller and the bonnet is less slender/detailed than MM's. However, I seem to have caught the grey colour fairly well. The MIR transfers included a border in black around the logo and numbers which is absent on the MM model? I used a DCC-ready US SW1500 chassis but never managed to find one which incorporated sound although I did use the twin directional headlamps to good effect.

DSCF3902.thumb.JPG.4028afe02bbca4910465449d1508680f.JPGDSCF3904.thumb.JPG.f5f297439e5676abf4b18f9368475e1a.JPGDSCF3900.thumb.JPG.bc9dab269e436904e7387af612acc71e.JPGDSCF3906.thumb.JPG.c2e2ebcda416ceba2beee20564648e2e.JPG

An earlier (2005) perhaps less successful effort by me of an MIR metal kit of the 121:

DSCF0896.thumb.JPG.6ae0c5d8042d06e71e8ef3ea89760524.JPGDSCF0893.thumb.JPG.4c2967a669061723e855bf4e39af3593.JPGDSCF0894.thumb.JPG.acb1ab541964f6603903192f91f17a05.JPGDSCF0895.thumb.JPG.e0e9a10cb8ca40a3f3323b11e0a5a323.JPG

• Like 12

3 hours ago, Irishrailwayman said:

Just for fun I took some photos of my older (2008) 121 model made from Model Irish Railways resin kit (hand painted) and put it beside Murphy Models fine new RTR model. MIR's version is fractionally longer, taller and the bonnet is less slender/detailed than MM's. However, I seem to have caught the grey colour fairly well. The MIR transfers included a border in black around the logo and numbers which is absent on the MM model? I used a DCC-ready US SW1500 chassis but never managed to find one which incorporated sound although I did use the twin directional headlamps to good effect.

DSCF3906.thumb.JPG.c2e2ebcda416ceba2beee20564648e2e.JPG

An earlier (2005) perhaps less successful effort by me of an MIR metal kit of the 121:

The black border round the "snail" and the numerals did actually exist. It was, however, exceptionally fine and only clearly visible when the locos were pristine brand new - it was a very think line. The MIR version is too coarse - not, of course, to take away from your excellent model of that loco! 

Just two had that red buffer beam, rest grey. 

I have never been able to conform this, but I am nearly sure that many moons ago I saw a pic of one of these in grey with WHITE surrounds to the yellow numerals and "snail" - but I have never been able to find even the slightest verification of it. Either I am completely mistaken, or whatever loco had it was extremely short-lived.

• Like 2

Although I don't buy ready to run, as I enjoy making my own stuff, there is no doubt that current models are exponentially better in both appearance and running qualities than their predecessors. If I was starting again now, feel sure I'd be saving my pennies to buy locos, rather than build them myself. However, would still be keen to convert to the correct gauge, I think, though the new Peco 75 looks so much better, especially when properly ballasted, painted, weathered and viewed from a shallow angle.

Guess the only question mark against current models might be their longevity and, especially, how easy they are to service and repair when things get worn or break. A bit like modern cars - at the start of learning to drive, I did my own servicing and most repairs (though there always seemed to be a part of two left over afterwards!), nowadays, the only time I lift the bonnet is the check the washer fluid and the oil.

Going back to the 121, it looks stunning and if ever one is brought out in 7mm scale, I'll be forming a queue to buy one.

• Like 5

On 9/26/2020 at 1:58 AM, David Holman said:

Although I don't buy ready to run, as I enjoy making my own stuff, there is no doubt that current models are exponentially better in both appearance and running qualities than their predecessors. If I was starting again now, feel sure I'd be saving my pennies to buy locos, rather than build them myself. However, would still be keen to convert to the correct gauge, I think, though the new Peco 75 looks so much better, especially when properly ballasted, painted, weathered and viewed from a shallow angle.

Guess the only question mark against current models might be their longevity and, especially, how easy they are to service and repair when things get worn or break. A bit like modern cars - at the start of learning to drive, I did my own servicing and most repairs (though there always seemed to be a part of two left over afterwards!), nowadays, the only time I lift the bonnet is the check the washer fluid and the oil.

Going back to the 121, it looks stunning and if ever one is brought out in 7mm scale, I'll be forming a queue to buy one.

A lot of pennies will have to be saved, David, that's for sure. So far I only have the RPSI B134. The running is very impressive the only thing lacking is not the model itself but the track it is running in on. I'll have to wait a month or two as i made the mistake of ordering different liveries together but I'm happy just running B134 for now.

I have been contemplating a new layout for some time and luckily have some room to do it in. I have been procrastinating about 21mm for sometime but with some space but a relative lack of time (and skill) I don't want to spend my entire time  just building the track alone (prefer some additional buildings etc) so unlike you I prefer rtr if possible. 

Kinda like models being 21mm compatible I'm now contemplating designing the trackbed in 21mm and laying Peco 75 on top on the off chance that a 21mm rtr track ever becomes available or I entirely lose my mind and try to build improved track. The track centers wouldn't change and curves would need to be 21mm compatible. I have a few bits of older stock but nothing pre 2000s, and a steam loco or two already gauged to 21mm to start me off. Luckily converting the newer models should  be a little easier than in previous decades 

Edited by DiveController
  • Like 3

No, you're right the track centers would be the same but the distance travelled to traverse a turnout would indeed be longer and the tightest curves would have to be second, maybe third, radius although I'm thinking of using flexitrack  so that I can have smoother transitions at entrance  and exit to curves so that the rolling stock is not thrown suddenly from straight to full on curve which is not prototypical in the least 

Edited by DiveController
  • Like 1

On 9/26/2020 at 10:36 AM, NIRCLASS80 said:

The 121 model just released is really nice. But I think this photo just shows how good the 141/181 stands up against its 12 year younger cousin!

46585A13-5C67-4C08-8AD3-4546C0662F28.jpeg

Agree 100% the babies still hold their own. They really set the bar when released they just look right 

Rich,

5 minutes ago, DiveController said:

Technically , I suppose they're both babies, maybe one is a newborn. I presume 'baby GM' found usage after the MM 071s or was the term in use for prototypical locos?

It was in use on the real locos after the 071s arrived. I'm part because they were B class GMs do BGMs or baby GMs. Not sure was the term used internally and by drivers or just by spotters. I suspect just the latter.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, Railer said:

It was in use on the real locos after the 071s arrived. I'm part because they were B class GMs do BGMs or baby GMs. Not sure was the term used internally and by drivers or just by spotters. I suspect just the latter.

I've definitely come across the term "BGM" on at least one official doc (surprised me too). I'm not sure how common it was however.

• Informative 2