Reference books for the railways of Ireland 1980s onwards.

Rate this question

Robert Davies

Question

I wonder if you fine fellows can assist me?

I'm looking for recommendations for reference books that cover the more modern history of the railways of Ireland, say 1980s onwards.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

What I already have (not a long or large list!) :

European Handbook No.7 Irish Railways: Locomotives and coaching stock - Fox & Pritchard

From CIE to IR - The Changing Face of Ireland's Railways - Darby, Higson & Quinlan.

...and that's it so far!

Over to you?

Regards,

-Rob

24 answers to this question

I seem to remember there were a lot of small inaccuracies in European Handbook No.7 Irish Railways: Locomotives and coaching stock - Fox & Pritchard.

A similar, but much better book would be Irish Railways Traction and Travel, by Peter Jones, of the ITG. There were four editions of this book published, and are probably only available second hand now. They do appear on eBay quite often....

Another recommendation would be, Locomotives & rolling stock of Coras Iompair Eireann and Northern Ireland Railways. There were three editions of this book, which was first published in 1979, while the last edition would be mid 80's sometime, I think. It's probably one of the best reference guides to freight stock. Again, only available second hand now, but they are out there.......

- but I do feel *such* a noob coming back and asking even the most basic questions :confused:

-Rob

dont feel too bad there robert....im on the site since the beginning and you want to see the stuff i ask!!! like eman said were here to help:) i have the cie to ir book but cannot get a copy of Aclass007 suggestioin 'Locomotives & rolling stock of Coras Iompair Eireann and Northern Ireland Railways'. pm sent (content might be of some help!)

Edited by heirflick

Rob http://www.markle.co.uk is a good source for railway dvd's from both sides of the border and covers scenes from the 80's to today. It's another alternative to books and a good source of info. They are very well shot and are full of scenes we don't see anymore, and nothing can compare to hearing those lovely sounds when you close you're eyes.

Rich,

a couple of recommendations from my collection. Amazon may not be the cheapest so please shop around. I just gave the links for reference.

Locomotive Compendium: Ireland by Colin Boocock

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Locomotive-Compendium-Ireland-Colin-Boocock/dp/0711033609/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350243339&sr=8-1-spell

For enthusiasts of Irish railways this book will be the ultimate reference guide. It summarises the purpose and principal features of each locomotive design ever to run on the railways since 1949, and illustrates all the significant differences between locomotives within a class. Each section of this book begins with a summary of a particular railway's territory and locomotive fleet. Then the locomotive classes are individually documented, each with its own section, including a table of basic dimensions, photographs and a narrative covering the design of the locomotive, use and subsequent history. Designed in a user-friendly format, readers will find it easy to trace any locomotive type that they wish to reference. Although the book does not cover multiple units, industrial railway or pleasure railway locomotives, it does include most preserved locomotives in Ireland today as they come from types that fall chronologically within the locomotive classes described here and their preservation is referenced in the text.

Irish Broad Gauge Carriages: A Pictorial Introduction by Colin Boocock

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irish-Broad-Gauge-Carriages-Introduction/dp/185780175X/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1350243490&sr=1-1-spell

Publication Date: 30 April 2004 | ISBN-10: 185780175X | ISBN-13: 978-1857801750 |

One aspect of Irish railway history which has received scant attention over the years is that of the carriages which ran on the country's broad gauge tracks. Desmond Coakham was one of the few who, in the 1950s and 1960s, photographed what the locomotive was pulling. Drawing on his own extensive collection and on the work of others, he has produced a superb pictorial introduction to the subject. Starting with survivors from as early as the 1840s and 1850s, he describes and illustrates a wide range of carriages, vehicles representing virtually every Irish railway company, up to the present day. The book will fascinate all those interested in the development of the railway carriage over the decades. It will also be a wonderful reference source for railway modellers as well as opening a window on a neglected but intriguing aspect of the railway history of these islands.

Rails Through The West: Limerick to Sligo, an Illustrated Journey on the Western Rail Corridor by Barry Carse and Jonathan Beaumont

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rails-Through-West-Limerick-Illustrated/dp/1780730063/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1350243765&sr=1-1

ISBN-13: 978-1780730066 This pictorial album, illustrated in colour from the 1960s to the present, is a portrait of the Limerick to Sligo railway line in its Indian Summer. The colour photography of Barry Carse allows the line to come to life on these pages reviving memories for the line's users, for local people, and others with an interest in this unique and picturesque railway. Now, at the end of the first decade of the 21st Century, a century after the GSWR took over the line's operation, the Western Rail Corridor, as it is often identified, is a display of its own history. At the south end, a busy and well used passenger service operates with modern trains over well maintained track; in the middle, renewal work is under way or planned, and at the northern end all is quiet, save for the birds in the trees which grow between the rails.

Irish Railways in Colour: A Second Glance, 1947-70 Tom Ferris

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irish-Railways-Colour-Second-1947-70/dp/1857800192/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1350243892&sr=1-1

ISBN-13: 978-1857800197

The decade covered by this book was one of the most interesting in Irish railway history. In 1955 as many as five distinct organizations were operating train services, three narrow gauge systems were still active and four differnt types of traction were still employed - steam, diesel, electric and horse power. The following decade saw a rapid changeover from steam to diesel, particularly in the Republic of Ireland where steam had all but been eclipsed on main lines by 1960. Yet despite the changes and the contraction of the system, there was much to stimulate those interested in railways, as venerable steam locos shared the tracks with the latest diesels which in turn could be seen hauling ancient coaching stock. For the first time, this book captures a flavour of those years in over 200 colour photographs. Tom Ferris has brought together a fine collection from throughout the country, complemented by an informative introduction and detailed captions. This unique and original publication is a must for all those with even a passing interest in Ireland's distinctive railway heritage.

--This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

Edited by snapper

Locomotive Compendium: Ireland by Colin Boocock

Rails Through The West: Limerick to Sligo, an Illustrated Journey on the Western Rail Corridor by Barry Carse and Jonathan Beaumont

Irish Railways in Colour: A Second Glance, 1947-70 Tom Ferris

All the above are well thumbed, on my bookshelf, and would be the first I'd recommend for anyone getting into Irish Railway books.

I'm underwhelmed with "Irish Broad Gauge Carriages: A Pictorial Introduction". I bought it when researching the design of 50's CIE coaches. For northern companies or the pre-40's era it's very good. But the entire CIE era is covered uncomprehensively in just one brief chapter.

Instead I'd highly recommend Locomotives and Rolling Stock of Irish Rail and Northern Ireland Railways by Oliver Doyle and Stephen Hirsch

The early 80's version is the best, detailing when freight was in full flow and there was still a substantial representation of the 50's Park Royals/laminate coachs and brake thirds. Doyle and Hirsch cover off every single coach and freight variant and numbering with a great selection of photos.

Edited by Weshty

Thanks Frank, Les.

A few more for my Christmas present list!

As its going to be a long list, I hope you have been a good boy this year then for Santa!

Any of the books by Martin Bairstow, 'Railways in Ireland' are quite good. There's 5 volumes of them, covering different parts of the country, companies, etc.